Reputation (Little green dots) FAQ

Steel-Froggy said:
Where do you find out your reputation anyways? I can't even find where you guys are talking about :tard:
Go to your "User CP" and scroll down, if you have received reputation then it should be there (under all the the threads you've subscribed to).

How long until the rep I give out is meaningful instead of grey? Am I still considered new under the system?

As a member on other forums, a rep system can be extremely helpful if everyone participates (And extremely annoying if everyone begs for it--stop begging and start being helpful). When I see a user helping someone out and providing accurate and/or well-sourced information, I rep them. I figure if everyone does that, then reputation can become an indicator (imperfect, but still) of who knows what they're talking about and of reliability (ala Ebay feedback). Then when I need help with something, I can scan the rep of those who reply, and more quickly solve my own problem.

I've seen it work very well in some places. It doesn't seem to be altogether functioning here yet. Is this because of age-range and cronyism? The Wii's upstart status drawing troll-fire? I don't know. But it's too bad.

cronyism? I wish. I can't coax rep out of people for the love of me. I actually had to do stuff. Oh noes.

</abitofsarcasm>

I think after about 10 or so, your reps will count

I kinda figure cronyism figures more towards what eliminated negative feedback in the first place, not in rewarding good behavior.

Hopefully everyone gets it into their head that the best way to get feedback (And the best way to make it meaningful) is to be helpful and go out of your way to rep other helpful people. When you do it, others are more inclined to watch for opportunities to act in kind.

Begging for feedback, or even withholding help prior to receiving it ( :wtf: ) does not benefit the forum people.

That's why in a sig, you don't put "PLZ GIV ME REP RARRRGH!".

I put: If you appreciate my post, please give me rep by clicking the green mushroom! :]

Once the rep system gets popularized, i'll take it off, but till then it stays. :]

ssbb_lover said:
I put: If you appreciate my post, please give me rep by clicking the green mushroom! :]

I imagine that will help newcomers find and learn to use the system. The green mushroom is a nice piece of topical ambiance, but it doesn't immediately jump out at you as a reputation system.

Maybe it's a sign that no one likes you? :p

I've only been repped once today where it actually counted. All other was blue.

Back