The future - what's next?

Watch the prior E3 videos. I remember when Sony showed off the original PS3. The one with all the ports(controller and memory cards), and a so-called rumored built in Blue Ray burner. Now that would have been worth $500. These videos can be found on gamespot.

Zarogan said:
I hope not, I hated it when they released the DS Lite and I had just bought a normal DS.

I hope they make a usb hard-drive for it, or something, and about dvd, I don't really care about it, that's why I have my dvd player next to my Wii.

Yes that is the case for a lot of people, dvd nearby, but many would like to have it all in one thing, the convenience factor. I am not saying thats what I want, but simply what I think will happen.

A hard-drive would be nice.

austinAlan said:
It's not a prototype. The Wii is absolutely not a prototype. Nintendo's philosophy is to build a gaming system that is fun, affordable and profitable. That cannot be said of the other two consoles. The other consoles are trying to create a system that is compelling, i.e. a must have system.

Nintendo will not try to compete with these other systems on graphical power or processing power because it strains the costs of production too much. I think that's the lesson they have learned. They know they do have to have something truly fun to add.
Yes, and they will master that process by learning from their mistakes with the wii.

It can be argued that anything that is new and isn't of normality is a prototype, simply because the next addition will be even better. Nintendo is learning lessons with the wii because it is so different, which is something I cannot say they did with the N64 or Gamecube.

CantGetAWii said:
Yes that is the case for a lot of people, dvd nearby, but many would like to have it all in one thing, the convenience factor. I am not saying thats what I want, but simply what I think will happen.

A hard-drive would be nice.
I agree many would be happy to have built in DVD, but you have to think that a lot of Wii owners might also own a PS2/PS3 or an XBOX/XBOX 360 which have this capability already. So do they really need to do it? I don't think so, but they will because of the people who only own the Wii or have the Wii in a room away from their other systems which I realize is going to happen.

I have an external hard drive already, with USB connection and I believe it would be amazing if they could somehow release an update which allows the use of it. (Forgive me if it is capable of doing this already, if so I had not heard of it working)

blueovalboy7 said:
I agree many would be happy to have built in DVD, but you have to think that a lot of Wii owners might also own a PS2/PS3 or an XBOX/XBOX 360 which have this capability already. So do they really need to do it? I don't think so, but they will because of the people who only own the Wii or have the Wii in a room away from their other systems which I realize is going to happen.

I have an external hard drive already, with USB connection and I believe it would be amazing if they could somehow release an update which allows the use of it. (Forgive me if it is capable of doing this already, if so I had not heard of it working)

What you said about people already having a DVD player is totally true. This to me is such a non-issue with the Wii. In fact, Nintendo is SMART for not including DVD playback functionality. Why? Well that might over tax the Wii motors and cause premature failures. Let the DVD players with all their optimization for video playback handle that.

I also agree that the USB connection should be enhanced for harddrives and other uses.

I'd be happy if they just release an update that lets the wii read and write directly from the sd cards. I still don't understand why can't I load save files from my sd.

SensesFail said:
well im no expert on console life but i heard that teh ps3/360 will be around for that long, so i figured the Wii would be as well. i mean, you cant just have a system like the 360 around for 4 or 5 years, its already been out for around 2, are you telling me its life is half over?

Systems come out every 5 or 6 years like clockwork. Never ever would they wait 8 years. The 360 might push 6, so all three new systems (and whoever else decides to enter the race, like Samsung) can come out in 2011.

blueovalboy7 said:

Yeah thats true, but if they were to release both version's still one with DVD and one without, it wouldn't really be a problem. That way people can buy one if they would like one with DVD. And the thing with the older system's like the ps2, with a combination of the Wii having ps2 ports and with it having its own games, if a DVD were to be included I would not see the real need to play the ps2 anymore, although it will still happen I guess. It's complicated really, but all I am saying is, it would not be that bad of an idea if they did it.

austinAlan said:
It's not a prototype. The Wii is absolutely not a prototype. Nintendo's philosophy is to build a gaming system that is fun, affordable and profitable.

LevesqueIsKing said:
Yes, and they will master that process by learning from their mistakes with the wii.

The WII appears to be profitable (which is a pretty objective metric) and given the rate at which they've been selling, I would be inclined to believe it is also "Fun and Affordable" (that latter of which I believe is the thorn in Sony's side - perceived or real by the consumer).

You keep suggesting that the WII wasn't engineered to a specific requirement - that it's some kind of interim "pre-release" version (your use of the word prototype) for testing the viability of the platform? I'll refer back to myself:

ME said:
I'm convinced Nintendo did a cost/value/performance assessment and determined a good price point for the hardware, knowing their brand equity, motion controls and key titles like the Mario franchise would work to their favor. Guess what? They were right.

It's as simple as that. Videogames have projected life cycles, target demographics, etc., and I think trying to make something more complex out of the machine is off base. This machine is only as interim as any ongoing incremental model upgrade cycle.

Take cars for instance - is the current C6 Corvette a prototype? Of course not - it's a self-contained model with a targeted life cycle, demographic, price and performance point. Will there be things GM learns from it? Of course! It was the first Vette to implement push-button start, factory HID, the new LS2/LS7 engines, etc., the next model will be better as a result of the current generation, but it's not some placeholder/prototype.

LevesqueIsKing said:
It can be argued that anything that is new and isn't of normality is a prototype, simply because the next addition will be even better.

FYI, it can't. Introduction of new concepts, features and technology into a +production+ product with the understanding that the next generation might make use of them as well as *improve* on them isn't really a prototype.

~DT

FWIW, I don't want to sound *harsh* or anything - I'm hoping this is educational/production/interesting for everyone. Please don't interpret the tone as hostile or condescending.

I have to make a point to remember this board (vs. some other MB's) has a pretty radically different group of users (ages, professional backgrounds, interests, etc.) and adjust my delivery accordingly :D

lmao, wasn't actually expecting anyone to call me out on that.

Yes , I suppose I could have chosen a better word, however, there is no need to take the word so literally because you obviously knew what I meant.

Well...
I don't know. If Nintendo decides to keep the "family" thing ( Wii being a family console, unlike PS3 and Xbox which are more "hardcore")... then I truly don't know what nintendo will do next.

If Nintendo decides they want to make a next gen console....
wow. Imagine a Wii with PS3 graphics??

Back