The Internet and Pop Culture

Brawny

Anglophobiphile
Dec 15, 2006
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Wii Online Code
5385-4035-7079-0395
With Facebook and YouTube and the internet in general wedging themselves into the hands of "normal people", geeks are slowly losing the essence of geekdom: the internet meme.

Take for example the Macy Day Parade Rick Roll. Having to explain rickrolling to your grandma is just plain weird. It's also painful to see jocks try to use "for the win", "The cake is a lie" and "I herd u liek mudkipz" in the wrong context.

Are you content with always having All Your Base Are Belong to Us and goatse and let "them" have lolcats and Chris Crocker? Or would you rather popular culture just gtfo our inside jokes?

This thread was caused by my programming class. It's an intro class, so it's required, and it's filled to the brim with the most non-nerdy kids you've ever seen. (Who in turn, program like crap). A recent survey of the class showed 80% own Macs and 10% know what Linux is. (So they're tools in general.) My teacher showed them xkcd, so now they all quote it. I'm elitist and proud.

The word meme is commonly used by people who aren't retarded because it is in fact shorter to write the word "meme" than to write out "internet phenomena" or "something that will wind up on G4 tomorrow for all of the nerds to fap all over". It is well known that the only people that care about internet memes are sad ****s with no life. In the real world, the meme is known by its true name, "idea."

;)

I don't really understand the big deal about memes at all, all I know is that they were spawned from 4chan and they're causes for generic debate on the various forums I participate in.

Not many people I know(In the outside worlds) know what I mean when I see some thing that says "Power level" and say "ITS OVER 9000!!"

But memes have been around long before 4chan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

Least we forget
Hampster_dance.gif

I don't follow any of the web fads, don't care about it either when I see other people doing it around me in person.. well, except for when I see people in person shouting out.. "L.O.L.", or "L.M.A.O" instead of just actually laughing the normal way. That's when it starts getting creepy and disturbing for me.

I don't follow any of the web fads, don't care about it either when I see other people doing it around me in person.. well, except for when I see people in person shouting out.. "L.O.L.", or "L.M.A.O" instead of just actually laughing the normal way. That's when it starts getting creepy and disturbing for me.

Oh come on, you've never said over 9000 aloud?

Nope (unless I'm trying equate something that ends in over 9,000), but a couple of my friends do it all the time in random places. Like we'll be at the local convenient store and one of them looks at the product tag, then shouts out that the price is Over 9000, resulting in the cashier to peek around the aisle behind his counter.

*Stands up*

I do it in crowds to see the reaction

I think I need to make some kinda power scanner to crush

Also once shouted "BOMB" on a market

I funking loled

Back