What's the definition of 'hardcore' game?

eskiemong

Eskiemong
Mar 15, 2007
Nevada
Wii Online Code
1699-7356-0266-3132
Well, I'm one of the people started to play game through Wii which means that I know almost nothing of game.
After reading a thread about E3 conference on the first page of Wiichat.com, I just became really curious: what does hardcore game mean?
Because I thought hardcore game meant hella serious and hard games like Resident Evil or Trauma Center...(Oh btw what's difference between Resident Evil and Biohazard? Cuz I'm more familiar with Biohazard..)
So I never thought Mario series will be included in hardcore games. They're not serious enough for me..lol
So...
What's the definition of 'hardcore game'?

Good topic. Depends extremely on how you look at it, however. As you said, one definition of it would be gore/blood/guns.

Another could mean a serious competitor in gaming. Another could be serious gameplay, in which Mario would be a good example. No, no gore/blood/guns, but it's still hardcore because 1) it's a huge title that people should take seriously and 2) it was one of the games that started...gaming.

You're probably going to get a bunch of different answers, like I said, it's a difference in opinion.
paintba||er said:
It all depends on who you ask...
Gah, posted before me. What he said is the briefer version...

I believe they call it hardcore gaming because the user and many other users take it very seriously. You will never see someone playing mario galaxy screaming at their partner for not collecting all the coins as you shoot from planet to planet, but if you did and the person being screamed at screams back saying what he did wrong, then you both would be hardcore gamers.

Usually games like Halo and such are considered hardcore because they go online where many people want to compete to be the best. They will log in and go on their team chat channel and possibly get pissed at a team/clanmate for screwing up. You normally dont see this in Nintendo games but expect it to change once games like GH3 online.

Also you have games like Mario Kart. I was kinda wondering if this game would be considered hardcore because now that it is going online people are really going to take it seriously, but it doesn't change the fact that its more of a party game... or does it?

If I had to guess a thesaurus would list "intense" as a synonym for this application of the word.

That said many of the games on the Wii are far from intense. Super Smash Brothers may be the closest thing (albeit somewhat childish)

braschlosa said:
That said many of the games on the Wii are far from intense. Super Smash Brothers may be the closest thing (albeit somewhat childish)
LoZ, Call of Duty, Red Steel, Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, etc. not "intense" enough to make it in your list? I hate people that generalize the Wii without even thinking about what they're saying....don't be one of those people.

ssbb_lover said:
LoZ, Call of Duty, Red Steel, Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, etc. not "intense" enough to make it in your list? I hate people that generalize the Wii without even thinking about what they're saying....don't be one of those people.

Interesting you would say that.. I never found COD that intense to easy. Havn't played Resident evil, Redsteel is not intense imo and you havn't even played Metriod XD

ssbb_lover said:
I gave it thought.
Red Steel is really terrible. If intense means pissed off at controls then maybe
Metroid Prime is a gamecube game
Call of Duty does not take your complete attention away from everything around you like RE:4 might

Oh and RE:4 is a 2 year old port from Gamecube/PS2 so it hardly counts
Try again noobsauce.

edit: Thanks Ronald. Rep'd

Ronald said:
Interesting you would say that.. I never found COD that intense to easy.
You shoot people, you're kiling of the entire Nazi army...
Ronald said:
Havn't played Resident evil
It's rated "M", it's harcore.
Ronald said:
Redsteel is not intense imo
Blood, multiple guns, crazy firing and sword slashing...if SSBB is intense, then so is this (and Resident Evil and CoD)
Ronald said:
and you havn't even played Metriod XD
If i'm correct, multiple titles have been released for over a decade, no?

*EDIT*
braschlosa said:
I gave it thought.
Red Steel is really terrible. If intense means pissed off at controls then maybe
Metroid Prime is a gamecube game
Call of Duty does not take your complete attention away from everything around you like RE:4 does

Oh and RE:4 is a 2 year old port from Gamecube/PS2 so it hardly counts
Try again noobsauce.

edit: Thanks Ronald. Rep'd
Amazing. Another person who makes a totally invalid point(s), ignores the obvious, then insults the person that they're quoting. People like you, unfortunately, is what Wiichat is getting more of. Ever heard anyone say "Wiichat's going downhill?" Oh wait, you joined in July. Psh, noobsauce...

Last edited:
Oo, sorry i thought you ment intense as in like you get really into it and take it seriously and stuff. Not something with blood. And yeah Metriods a GC game i thought we were talking about wii :p

ssbb_lover: Intense does not mean blood/guns/swords. I think you forgot about my post.

Ronald: Dont be sorry. You are right.

Super Mario Brothers on NES is intense, Super Paper Mario not so.

braschlosa said:
ssbb_lover: Intense does not mean blood/guns/swords. I think you forgot about my post.

Ronald: Dont be sorry. You are right.

Super Mario Brothers on NES is intense, Super Paper Mario not so.
Intense CAN mean blood/guns/swords. Why do you think 4 year olds play Elebits and not Red Steel? INTENSITY. And no, I didn't forget about your post, it's just that it was totally useless. I think you forgot about mine. "It Depends extremely on how you look at it."

And no, he wasn't right, because he forgot what "intense" can include. He actually manned up to it and realized what I meant, then understood. Try it sometime.

You can invent a definition if you like but I'd like to stick with the universally accepted meaning of hardcore and guns/swords/blood are not relevant.

"Why do you think 4 year olds play Elebits and not Red Steel? INTENSITY."
So you agree with me then. Hardcore is equivalent to intensity.

Pick a side of the fence. You cant say "it has many meanings" and then defend only one.
The context is important and in the context of "the wii has no hardcore games" hardcore means games with intense gameplay (but I guess you forgot that part of the discussion)

Last edited:
braschlosa said:
You can invent a definition if you like but I'd like to stick with the universally accepted meaning of hardcore and guns/swords/blood are not relevant.

"Why do you think 4 year olds play Elebits and not Red Steel? INTENSITY."
So you agree with me then. Hardcore is equivalent to intensity.
I'm not inventing definitions. There's more than one definition. Is it that hard to comprehend?

And yes, that's what i've been trying to freaking say this entire thread. Super Mario 64 is intense, Resident Evil is intense. They're both intense in their own way because they both apply to different definitions of intense/hardcore...
braschlosa said:
Pick a side of the fence. You cant say "it has many meanings" and then defend only one. The context is important and in the context of "the wii has no hardcore games" it means games with intense gameplay but I guess you forgot that part.
I'm not defending one because I only believe that one. You said "blood/gore/guts/guns isn't what makes intensity", so I defended it. I singled it out because YOU attacked it. At least read what you write yourself.

Back