Anyone agree Metroid Prime series crushes Halo series ?

GamingWorld X said:
Many people were angry when they heard that the new Metroid game would be done as a first-person shooter. Good news for those people- it’s not an FPS. Sure, it looks like one, but trust me.
http://www.gamingworldx.com/gcn/MetroidPrime.shtml
GamesFirst.com said:
At first it looks as if they solved this problem by making it a FPS. This is far from true (had Metroid been a FPS it would not have been a Five star game, but more on that later). It does borrow FPS elements, but uses them as pieces of a unique gaming experience.
http://www.gamesfirst.com/reviews/mjames/metroidprime/metroidprime.htm
TopTenReviews.com said:
Prime is not a first-person shooter. The casual gamer might be quick to call it one, but it is dubbed a "first-person adventure" by Retro Studios and the diagnosis couldn't be more perfect.
http://games.toptenreviews.com/reviews/g17293.htm
Chicago Maroon said:
Echoes, like Metroid Prime, is not a first-person shooter, lacking both linear game design and free-look controlling. The lock-on system works perfectly here, requiring players to focus not on precise aiming but on dodging and puzzle solving when fighting enemies.
http://maroon.uchicago.edu/voices/articles/2005/01/11/new_gamecube_metroid.php

I really don't know how to make this more clear. Despite what many of you think, Metroid Prime never was truly classified as a first-person shooter.

1) I have never heard of any of those websites.

2) If it isn't categorized as a FPS then what are you complaining about...you started whining about how it is categorized as an FPS and then go on a mission to prove it isn't an FPS...

But if you want to play that game

google "metroid prime FPS" and you will get similar links saying how it is an FPS. And an article from Play magazine where they said "Corruption could be the "biggest revolution in FPS gaming since Halo".

Last edited:
vagrant said:
1) I have never heard of any of those websites.
LOL! I've never heard of you, so we should not listen to anything you say. >_>
vagrant said:
2) If it isn't categorized as a FPS then what are you complaining about...you started whining about how it is categorized as an FPS and then go on a mission to prove it isn't an FPS...
Because Halo is a FPS, so if Metroid Prime is not a FPS then they are hardly comparable. The 'revolution' spoken of refers strictly to the control scheme. I highly doubt Metroid Prime will make any advances on Halo's position as a highly competitive, multiplayer game.

people compare zelda and redsteel all the time.

in fact, people compare the wii to xbox 360 all the time.

i'll compare whatever i want to whatever i want to compare it to, damnit!:mad5:

TortillaChip520 said:
people compare zelda and redsteel all the time.

in fact, people compare the wii to xbox 360 all the time.

i'll compare whatever i want to whatever i want to compare it to, damnit!:mad5:
Good point. I will admit I do like Ocarina of Time way more than Halo. :D

And for vagrant, since you wanted a more reputable source:
IGN said:
3D first-person adventure game with third-person elements... it should be clear that Metroid Prime is not intended to be your traditional first-person shooter.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/376/376866p1.html
Retro Studios never wanted this game to be placed in the same bucket as other gamers like Halo. Reviewers have noted that Metroid Prime's final score varies depending on whether you classify it as a FPS or an adventure.

Exactly. It isn't written down as an FPS because the developer doesn't want it to be. But unfortunately for them, they don't define the genre.

"First-person shooter (FPS) is a genre of video games which is characterized by an on-screen view that simulates the playable characters perspective and a focus on the use of rangeweapons such as guns. "

Metroid was originally an Adventure game so they don't want to change that.

But it is still an FPS by definition.

Buzz said:
Do you believe that Halo and Metroid Prime are in direct competition with one another?

If you read all the posts in the thread prior to posting you would know the answer to that.

Halo = Multiplayer game that had a single player campaign just for the sake of story.

Metroid = Single player game that might have an online multiplayer in the next game.

That is why they should not be compared at all. If a player is looking for an excellent group game then Halo should fit the bill. If a player is looking for a rich single-player experience then Metroid Prime 3 will fit the bill. They do not compete on any front except each other's biggest weaknesses. You will never hear someone say they'd rather play Metroid Prime than Halo as a group (unless Metroid Prime just came out and all are extreme fans that want to see how it turns out; at that point, it wouldn't matter how good Halo is anyway).

Buzz said:
That is why they should not be compared at all. If a player is looking for an excellent group game then Halo should fit the bill. If a player is looking for a rich single-player experience then Metroid Prime 3 will fit the bill. They do not compete on any front except each other's biggest weaknesses. You will never hear someone say they'd rather play Metroid Prime than Halo as a group (unless Metroid Prime just came out and all are extreme fans that want to see how it turns out; at that point, it wouldn't matter how good Halo is anyway).

Congrats. Welcome to page 3 of this thread.

TortillaChip520 said:
i will take that one further, and say if it werent for it's multiplayer, halo wouldnt be.
Thanks, it good to know, that you know where im coming from!:cool:

Buzz said:
Retro Studios never wanted this game to be placed in the same bucket as other gamers like Halo. Reviewers have noted that Metroid Prime's final score varies depending on whether you classify it as a FPS or an adventure.
I agree, just like what i said earlier...........its just a mix FPS&Action-Adeventure

Not so sure that you can compare, as you see Halo is a Fast-pased normal FPS the best there is today.
Metroid Prime, is more of both!
which turn makes it hard to compare, or should it even be compared at all!

Back