Anyone agree Metroid Prime series crushes Halo series ?

kevbomac05 said:
everyone needs to shutup about how umn u cant compare them there both 1st person shooters and my opinion is halo is better
If you go back and read about the first two Metroid Prime games, you will discover that they had a hard-time classifying it as a first-person shooter. Technically speaking, yes, Metroid Prime takes place in the first-person perspective, and it is essentially a shooter of sorts, but that does not automatically make it an FPS genre game. Metroid Prime was found to be more of an action-adventure title since it was so far removed from games like Halo, Unreal Tournament, etc.

It's like comparing Zelda 2 with Contra. One could argue they both belong in the 2D side-scrollers category, but they are nowhere near the same type of game.

toXic said:
I've never been a huge fan of either series.

But, personally, I think Halo is overrated. The campaign is a blast, but online isn't as good as many make it out to be.

Many are claiming that the next Metroid Prime will be better than Halo, hopefully they're right.

You don't think halo online is good. But there is like a million people who probably disagree with you.

Buzz said:
If you go back and read about the first two Metroid Prime games, you will discover that they had a hard-time classifying it as a first-person shooter. Technically speaking, yes, Metroid Prime takes place in the first-person perspective, and it is essentially a shooter of sorts, but that does not automatically make it an FPS genre game. Metroid Prime was found to be more of an action-adventure title since it was so far removed from games like Halo, Unreal Tournament, etc.

It's like comparing Zelda 2 with Contra. One could argue they both belong in the 2D side-scrollers category, but they are nowhere near the same type of game.

That Zelda 2/Contra example was perfect and well thought out.

Buzz said:

I agree, good post!

They're both great series and you're entitled to like one more then the other but I belive anyone who thinks either crushes the other one has yet to play it enough to appreciate it, let alone play it at all, or is just a stupid fanboy trying to stir up trouble on the internet.

That goes for both sides.

vagrant said:
Not really. Considering almost every platform game back then was 2d sidescroll.
But that only further proves my point. In today's gaming, we foolishly named the genre "first-person shooters" despite the fact that not every game that is first-person and a shooter is considered one. Is Splinter Cell a FPS? Many would argue that it is despite the emphasis being placed on covert ops and environment manipulation.

Zelda 2 is not a 2D side-scroller. Yes, it is 2D. Yes, it scrolls sideways. No, it is not a "platformer". It was an adventure or role-playing game (hence the map, unique items, and non-linear gameplay). Games like Contra had little to no variance in what paths you could take. You went from left to right and beat levels in numerical order until the end was reached.

Buzz said:
But that only further proves my point. In today's gaming, we foolishly named the genre "first-person shooters" despite the fact that not every game that is first-person and a shooter is considered one. Is Splinter Cell a FPS? Many would argue that it is despite the emphasis being placed on covert ops and environment manipulation.

Zelda 2 is not a 2D side-scroller. Yes, it is 2D. Yes, it scrolls sideways. No, it is not a "platformer". It was an adventure or role-playing game (hence the map, unique items, and non-linear gameplay). Games like Contra had little to no variance in what paths you could take. You went from left to right and beat levels in numerical order until the end was reached.

1) We call Metroid Prime a FPS because it is from First Person Perspective, and you shoot multiple weapons.

2) Splinter Cell is Third Person

3) Who categorizes contra and zelda 2 together? Side Scroll isn't a Genre so you are proving my point. Contra = Action, Zelda 2 = Action-Adventure

Metroid Prime is a FPS no doubt, but its mostly just an Action-Adventure whether anyone likes it or not!
I mean its not all about shooting like Halo, thats basically what Halo is, and without multiplayer in my view for Halo, it wouldnt be what it is today!

Back