Christians

Have to say, another qualm I have about Christians in general is their inability to give credit where it's really due. They always thank god when their family members are rescued in fires, healed by doctors/medicine and it just seems kind of rude.
Yes - so true but so sad. They think everything is done due to 'divine intervention'. I may like to think that way because it makes my life easier to deal with shock of danger of a family member or myself but in reality, we just happened to do the right thing at the right time.

For example, I was skiing at the mountains in Australia and got up real early one morning so I could ski before the area got filled up during the day and was following this track. On it was a potentially dangerous area and I happened to fall into it - I injured my ribs and ended up with pain in my side. But I didn't believe that I was stuck - I kept at it despite the pain and managed to climb out of that area and to keep skiing until I reached the bottom of the mountain and then walk all the way back to the ski lodge. In reality, it is our determination for survival and knowing what to do at the right time that keeps us alive in those dangerous situations. God didn't tell me what to do at the time nor did I call out to him as I knew I would waste a second of my energy that could have been used to get myself out of there.

Clap for the firefighter, the doctor. God know you love him by now, doesn't he? You go to his little houses of worship and try to save people (whether they want to or not), and you vote republican without a second thought on every election. God's probably sick of hearing is own name by now, don't you think?
Now those people are not true Christians because they do not understand why they are Christians in the first place. They use their guilt/laziness/insecurity/apathy etc to say to God 'I pray that *insert person* will survive *event*' instead of actually trying to help people. They may be sincere with their praying and think they actually are 'helping' the person through God, but because their actions show they do nothing and talk to an invisible 'being' they are actually contradicting themselves.

I can't wait for the rapture to happen... who knows what will happen?

*Slightly offtopic* Revelations does have some truth to it but I don't take it literally and I hope the next person doesn't either. I've read other 'chapters' of the bible that were not officially recognised as 'holy' chapters in the eyes of the canon. The interesting thing is, they all contradict most of the new testament and some old testament claims but also back up claims made by the Genesis and Revelations, the first and the last book in the bible.

So is the bible holy or not? That depends on how you view the bible.

kissoff182 said:
I don't have anything against someone just believing in a god. What I don't understand is why people live in fear of a god and fear "sinning."

Why do people think that gay marriage is wrong? It doesn't hurt anyone. What's wrong with premarital sex? Once again, it doesn't hurt anyone (except in some cases it emotionally hurts the two consenting people). Is abortion wrong because it's killing a baby or because "God says it's wrong?" I have mixed feelings about abortion. I don't believe in LYKE OMGZ IT'S MAH BODY ILL DO WAT I WANT W/ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 But I also don't want irresponsible people to be parents. There's more to it than the Bible says, "blah blah blah."

Why do people feel the need to say, "Jesus loves you" or "God bless you?" Why do Christians feel like they need to "save me" from Hell, which may not even exist? Why do people tell me if I'm wrong about God existing I'm going to Hell? If there's one thing I learned being raised Catholic it's that God/Jesus loves me for who I am and will let me into Heaven because I'm a good person, not because I believe in Christ. I just wish people wouldn't live their lives 100% by a fictional book.

Well, I'll post my opinion once and only once - I refuse to get into debates over this stuff because it only ends in flaming and and ignorance on both sides; so anyone planning on debating or flaming me, don't bother because I probably won't even respond to it.

I'll start from the beginning of your post and work my way down.....

- From what I've come to believe...you're not supposed to fear God because he's going to destroy you, the "fear" is meant in a term of afraid of dissapointing him. I think people who are terrified of sinning because they'll be struck by a lightining bolt are seriously confused.

- As for gay marriage, it's something I myself have always been confused about. I don't get how a married couple who absolutely hate eachother that are man and woman and are never passionate is okay but a married gay couple who love eachother endlessly is not - Maybe someday I'll understand that one.

- Premarital sex I completely understand. It helps prevent the spread of STDs and other sexually transmitted diseases. It also helps to prevent pregnancies out of wedlock which would seriously cut down the amount of abortions, abandoned children, and world population. Premarital sex can also be very emotionally dramatizing. One minute you are convinced your madly in love and the next minute it all falls apart - leaving you with emptiness and a piece of yourself you gave to him/her that you can never again retrieve; not a comforting thought.

- Abortion...I believe it's very wrong to kill a child for a mistake they have not made. Yes, I agree the entire "What if she's raped" theory, but I still don't think it's grounds to kill another human being because you're hurting. Yes, rape is rough and scary to think about getting pregnant from it but it's not the child's fault. I know many people think "What if the parent is irresponsible" Well, that's why adoption was created. This is also where the 'no sex till marriage' ties in because as I said earlier...waiting till marriage would significantly cut down the number of children, abortions and adoptions.

- Hell. I strongly disagree with the "If you don't accept Christ blindly then you are automatically going to hell" These people say God is so loving, well, I don't know if they understand what true love is...but here's an example...
"Love: Accepting people for their mistakes. Understanding that they may have a good heart, yet, different beliefs and raised differently. Love them for who they are and not for the title they openly display to everyone"

- I agree on the part about people eating up the bible like they haven't had mental knowledge in all their lives. This is a book and yes, it may or may not be a holy blessed book of morals and princaples to help us function as a society...but I wish people would realize that they may be translating it wrong! This book has gone through MANY years and MANY different languages. The mis-print or mis-interpretation of one single word could change the meaning of a rule entirely.

Please think logically! If you believe God (Whoever you believe him to be) is love everlasting then use simple logic. If something is interpreted "Kill all those who don't agree with you" Then use your brain and realize that if your God is loving then it clearly does not make sence to mindlessly kill people because of their different beliefs. If one thing contridicts itself like for example people who believe in war, yet, believe it's wrong to kill because the bible says not to...then for goodness sake do some investigating! Clearly if you're getting two different messages from the same book then you use the more logical one based on the majority of what you've learned.

- As for those who only believe in their religion because they're told to, please for the love of God (I mean this literally) do some research. I know it's scary and you may feel like you're "betraying" but you're not. God incourages questions. I bet my life he'd rather have you learn about different religions and decide on the best one for you and follow him lovingly with faith - rather than following him blindly because you're told to. You are not a traitor for asking questions!!! Even if you know a lot about your religion and are convinced it's the right one for you, that's wonderful that you're dedicated...but please still investigate other religions just so you can understand other human beings better and learn to have compassion and understanding.

I believe it's the "You're different from me and you're going to poison me because you're different" type of thinking that is seperating us as human beings and creating prejudism and hatred amoung us all. Even if you're certain you are right, it doesn't hurt to know the people you were born into this world with and gaining a little compassion and love for them. Shunning everyone different from you only creates psychotic cults and ends in blood spill.

It's hard to understand people different and no, I'm not saying to 'accept' people no matter what. I understand not wanting to understand a ruthless murderer but a ruthless murderer is not defined by their beliefs being different then yours. Again, it's common sense put into play here.

A lot of people seem to think they have to mindless follow every word of the bible even if they're misunderstanding it - but along with the bible...God also gave us freedom of thought, curiousity, and good ol' fashioned common sense. Use it! I'm so sick of hearing stories of people terrified of asking questions about their religion or shaking because they sinned. If this is how you feel then I strongly suggest you to take a second look at what you believe and maybe if you understand it better, you won't feel so scared all the time.

The God I believe in, the God I've known to be endless love is not judgemental and will not cast you out because you were raised differently, were born into sin, have different beliefs, question things that don't sit right with you and so on....The God I know accepts us because we either have a good heart or don't. It's as simple as that.

This post is not meant to anyone or anyone religion in specific - It's meant for general humanity and is gathered on what I've learned and experienced in my life. It's not meant to lecture anyone or boss people around. Read at your own will and please know that I won't respond to flaming or trying to prove me "wrong". I will only respond to intelligent responses and people who have respect for others...

God has no religion...
God has no skin color...
God has no gender...
God has no discrimination...
God has no political standing...

When the lights turn off and your eyes can no longer judge
When the room is sound proof and your ears can no longer judge
When you are gagged and your lips can no longer judge
Then the only thing that can be judged is the glow of your heart...
and that is who we all truly are.

Thank you,

~Marisa~

kissoff182 said:
I agree with trishj in terms of: if a 15-year-old is having sex, holy ****, not good.

But look at it this way: do you really want this girl who put herself in the position of being able to get pregnant to have a child and pass on the same values that got the girl pregnant at 15? You may think the child would learn from the parent's mistake, but I've witnessed that that doesn't always happen.

You may say, trishj, that adoption is always an option, but there are actually a lot of kids in foster homes who have not been adopted. Babies have been found in dumpsters.

...That being said, Prop 85 should have passed in California. WTF.
I am simply saying 15 and 16 year olds should not be having sex. I do not Know one 15 0r 16 year old ready for the resposibility of becoming a parent, getting a sexually transmitted disease, or having to live with the tought that they choose to have an abortion. Everbody has the choice to wait. Unless there was a crime committed.

This kind of topic is best when opinions are left to the person holding them. Why try and have a flame war(although the people on this thread seem to take it well in terms of flaming and ignorance)? I posted my crappy opinion but hey lets stop before someone tries to stir something up, yeah?

trishj said:
I am simply saying 15 and 16 year olds should not be having sex. I do not Know one 15 0r 16 year old ready for the resposibility of becoming a parent, getting a sexually transmitted disease, or having to live with the tought that they choose to have an abortion. Everbody has the choice to wait. Unless there was a crime committed.

No, they shouldn't be having sex, but it's NOT that simple. Some 15 and 16-year-olds DO have sex.

You never answered my question... do you really want these people to pass it on to their little ones, even if it's indirectly, that it's okay to have sex at such a young age because abortion will take care of it?

Last edited:
Theres has been 13 year olds in the uk doing it

But its illeagel

What some people seem not to understand is that there are things called morals, and these are things where you do the right thing.

When it comes to abortion, it is a lot worse than you think. First, just think, you are taking the chance for a person to live. If you were aborted, you wouldn't be able to even post on this forum or even have a chance at life. Everyone has the right to life, and I would consider it murdering your baby because you made a bad decision.

When it comes to premarital sex, having no sex before marriage is showing loalty to your wife and saying that you actually care for her (if you are a guy :) ). If you are a women, it's the other way around. You are showing loalty to your husband

People who say "Jesus loves you", some of the time just throw it around, not really knowing what it means. But when I say it to people, I have the intention to help them see the truth.

When it comes to god, there are many things to beleive. When it comes to people, they can only beleive in Evolution which I will create a topic in a couple days and show you why evolution cannot work.

100% Fictional book? You clearly have no idea what you are talking about :(
Oh, by the way, there has been a lot of evidence that shows that the bible can possibly be correct. Like for example:
Near the time jesus was born, astronomers traced the paths of the 3 brightest planets and showed that near that time, they crossed creating that bright star in the sky where jesus layed.

The funny thing is, is that I'm backing the bible with science. The thing that people try to use to refute the bible.

--Jesus Loves you and I hope you can see the truth one day...

Excellent post, coolsmile. You've saved me the trouble of typing that much.
Werd.

Thank You

Thank you very much :)

Adding to what ~Marissa~ said about god
God isn't any type of human, he is, well... GOD. We cannot describe him with words, because he created words :smilewinkgrin:.
Jesus on the other hand is god in human form, which we don't know what he looked like.

On the god 3 in 1 issue. We don't understand because god knows all :). If you think about it, since he knows everything, and he created common sence, of course it would make sence. It doesn't to us because, well we're humans

Last edited:
coolsmile said:
People who say "Jesus loves you", some of the time just throw it around, not really knowing what it means. But when I say it to people, I have the intention to help them see the truth.

Truth is relative, unless we're talking about mathematical laws. What you may find true, I may find false.

coolsmile said:
When it comes to god, there are many things to beleive. When it comes to people, they can only beleive in Evolution which I will create a topic in a couple days and show you why evolution cannot work.
That will be an interesting thread to say the least.

coolsmile said:
Well, the bible is based on true events. I'm sure there were floods back then that seemed like they were world consuming and people without a doubt made rafts and boats, some taking their farm animals if possible. Thus was born the Noah's Arc myth. Just one example.

coolsmile said:
Oh, by the way, there has been a lot of evidence that shows that the bible can possibly be correct. Like for example:
Near the time jesus was born, astronomers traced the paths of the 3 brightest planets and showed that near that time, they crossed creating that bright star in the sky where jesus layed.
The funny thing is, is that I'm backing the bible with science. The thing that people try to use to refute the bible.
^Source? Jesus "layed" in the sky? How does someone accomplish sky-laying? Was Jesus an astronaut? Highly doubt that, sorry.
coolsmile said:
If you believe that is true for everyone, then don't you find it redundant to say it? It's sort of like saying to everyone you meet "we live on planet Earth." Most people told that would say in response "and your point is?"

At the same time, you say you're backing up your creed with science. Science is generally based in logic. So, is it logical to say someone in the past died for the "sins" of someone born hundreds of years later? The truth is Jesus died...because as he taught Judaism in Galilee, Isreal, he began to speak out politically against the Roman Empire which occupied his country at the time. He was crucified, a normal form of execution in those days, for his sedition against said occupying empire. Source

*EDIT* Now, so many people worship Jesus himself rather than simply the religion/wisdom he taught and he martyrdom against the Roman Empire.

Reminds me of a quote from Alan Watts that went something like this:

"They misunderstood and worshiped the finger for moon."
The finger = Jesus; the moon being the religion he taught.

Last edited:
coolsmile said:

aaaah yes, so because 3 of the brightest planets (planets arn't luminous hahahahahahahahahaha) where near each other of the day when jesus was born, means that Jesus was in fact born. that makes me 100% believe it happened.

so in fact, the funny thing is, your backing the bible with what is not science, but something that comes out of a cows rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
NateTheGreat said:
Originally Posted by coolsmile

^Source? Jesus "layed" in the sky? How does someone accomplish sky-laying? Was Jesus an astronaut? Highly doubt that, sorry.
You know what I'm saying... [size=-5]Idiot :)[/size]

Here is the sorce that you asked for ;)

The truth I'm talking about it the absolute truth of god. Not the truth that others want to beleive :hand:

Thus born the Noahs Arc Myth
Umm, it isn't exactly a myth...

Just curious, what are your views on your religion? :confused:

coolsmile said:
You know what I'm saying... [size=-5]Idiot :)[/size]

Here is the sorce that you asked for ;)

The truth I'm talking about it the absolute truth of god. Not the truth that others want to beleive :hand:

Umm, it isn't exactly a myth...

Just curious, what are your views on your religion? :confused:
How about an un-biased source... thats like asking for an overall opinon on the labour party, and then pointing me to the labour website.

Last edited:
coolsmile said:
Which part of it is bias...
It's impossible to find a non-bias source :hand:
Heres MSNBC, Another Bias source, but normally against releigion
why is it bias, look at it's references, it's not using any to prove that it didn't happen, therefore it's bias. there will be one, people just don't like un-biased things.

Nothing is impossible, you just don't know what to look for.

Back