Connect24 and system heat...

pixel

WiiChat Member
Nov 20, 2006
So I picked up my Wii and so far it's been a blast. I connected everything and enabled Connect24 with no issues. So when I shut the system off, I get the orange light.

Tonite I went and got a Sandisk memory stick and as I grabbed the side of the Wii to put it in, I noticed the system was pretty warm. I understand it's still connected to the internet but would that cause a decent amount of heat to still be generated? I was just wondering if this is normal. For now I disabled Connect24 and I get the red light on shutdown and it's as cool as a cucumber.

I guess I just get pretty paranoid about these things.

-Pixel

yeah.. mine's pretty warm too on the left side of the orange button.. hmm should i shut it off?

What exactly does it do? Just keep monitoring for updates?

pixel said:
So I picked up my Wii and so far it's been a blast. I connected everything and enabled Connect24 with no issues. So when I shut the system off, I get the orange light.

Tonite I went and got a Sandisk memory stick and as I grabbed the side of the Wii to put it in, I noticed the system was pretty warm. I understand it's still connected to the internet but would that cause a decent amount of heat to still be generated? I was just wondering if this is normal. For now I disabled Connect24 and I get the red light on shutdown and it's as cool as a cucumber.

I guess I just get pretty paranoid about these things.

-Pixel

It's not sending data over the internet, so that would have nothing to do with it. Nor would it anyways. It probably has more to do with where your wii is located in your house. Especially if it is on standby, it's not using enough electricity to generate much heat anyways. It's going to be a little warm all the time, just like a computer. As long as it's not progressively getting hotter and hotter it will be fine.

It's best if you leave it standing vertically, if not already..
I had mine laying flat (on the floor, fluffylike rug ^^) I noticed it getting even hotter when it was on standby not doing anything :(
Anyway I put it on the stand vertically afterwards, it cooled off fast and now I haven't noticed it getting this problem anymore...

Thanks for all the replies. The Wii is indeed vertical and placed in a well ventilated part of the room. The computer analogy vagrant made makes sense. I put it back on Connect24 and will continue to monitor it. Hopefully it's nothing more than idle warmth.

Thanks again for all the help.

-pixel

The reason your Wii is warm is because the fans don't run when the system is in standby mode, but the system is still drawing some power. It's not much (CPU only draws 10W at full load - the system uses more, but it gives you an idea), but it does heat your system up a bit. Nintendo has relied on passive cooling for standby mode because they didn't want the fan to make noise.

Don't worry, unless you break 60c, you won't hurt anything - and that won't happen in standby mode.

Wow, I'll have to go check mine right now to see how warm it is.

*Edit*
Yeah, it's definitely warm. Nothing alarming though. My wireless router is twice as warm as that 24/7.

Yeah, i was a bit worried at first because the next morning i checked it and it was warm. Nothing to worry about though because my 360 is like 100 time hotter than that when it's on :lol:

Well thanks again for all the reassurance guys, I feel comfortable letting it run now. Inspire, you really know your stuff, thanks for the great explanation.

-Pixel

Back