Console Wars

ilcid

WiiChat Member
Nov 29, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Wii Online Code
2168-2309-3726-8049
With all three consoles out now, it seems to me that Nintendo has gone completely away from the competition. The PS3 is clearly competing with the 360, but is the Wii really doing the same?

I don't know about everyone else, but I consider the Wii and the 360 sufficiently different to consider getting both, but would never get both the 360 and the PS3.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Nintendo isn't even trying to compete. Sony and Microsoft seem to be the only ones truly competing.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Nintendo is competition. Yes, Grapically Nintendo can't compete. I think Nintendo made those comments as a strategic move. My reasoning is this, that way Microsoft and Sony wouldn't view Nintendo as a competitor. Problem is if Nintendo Wii continues to sell well and take a good portion of the market away from Sony and Microsoft, they will have no other choice but to view Nintendo as competition.

Graphically how much better can it get? I reckin not much. But, the motion sensing technology that Nintendo has created for gamers, the options are limitless. They have created a whole new world to explore.

Nintendo's new ingenious creation has set the standard of video gaming for the years to come(motion sensing technology). Who knows, with the successful US launch(still awaiting Europe's, Japan's, and Australia's launches), Nintendo may rain supreme again.

Last edited:
Thing is that Nintendo seems to be aiming for a different market than the PS3 and the 360, so they aren't really taking away much marketshare.

The 360 and the PS3 are aiming towards more the hardcore gamer who loves awesome graphics. The Wii seems to be reaching out to everyone else. If a hardcore gamer buys a Wii, chances are they'll already have a 360 or plan on getting one (or a PS3) in the future. A hardcore gamer who has a 360 though probably wouldn't get a PS3, and vice versa. Now there are exceptions to this, but because Nintendo is tapping a different market for the most part, there doesn't seem to be as much competition as everyone thinks.

Your right, but who's to say Nintendo doesn't have any hardcore gamers. Problem is lets say you own either the PS3 or the 360 and refuse to get the oposing console. But, you will buy a Wii because Nintendo isn't competion. Again, Nintendo made a very intelligent move by staying away for going HD!

Lets say 12.5% of 360 users and 12.5% of PS3 users buy a Wii to accommodate there respected console. That's already 25% of "hardcore gamers". That leave's only 75% of the hardcore gamers market for Microsoft and Sony. Now Nintendo would own 100% of the people that are considered non-hardcore gamers. I do believe that 100% of the non-hardcore gamers + 25% of the hardcore gamer will beat out 75% of the hardcore gaming market, in which the have to split. For now we'll give them 50/50. That leaves Sony with 37.5%, microsoft with 37.5%, and Nintendo with 25%.

The question is, who is the one making money off this next-gen console war.

Now these numbers of course aren't actual stats but just giving you an idea of what I'm talking about.

In my opinion because Nintendo appeals to everyone, from hard-core, old school, new comers, etc. Nintendo target's more of the world's population. There the true winners in the next-gen console war, even with a less powerful console.

Graphics don't mean you'll win the console war. Look back to the days of the N64, Playstation 1, and later released Dreamcast. Playstation 1 dominanted even though it had less graphics. Dreamcast was far superior then either the N64 and Playstation. Look at where that ended up.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer btw and own neither the 360 or PS3.

Last edited:
Is there really a point for a thread about how Nintendo isn't in direct competition hmm I thought we learnt discussed and got over this fact a long time ago
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdKIHxTMNDs[/MEDIA]

It seems that Nintendo is trying to make a secondary system and or appeal to a different crowd than the PS3 and 360. With the last generation of systems all costing about the same and none of which being to expensive it was easy for people to afford multiple systems but with the new generation of systems costing so much it makes it costly for one to buy both the PS3 and 360 but it is easy for one to afford to buy a 360 or PS3 and a Wii. My guess is they are specifically targeting the 360 buyers seeing how they priced the Wii so that buying a 360 and a Wii is just slightly more than buying a PS3.

Back