Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Developers Are Worried About Wii's Future

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by CantGetAWii, Oct 18, 2007.

1. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Anyone feel the Wii is in danger?
    Personally I don't feel the Wii is in any harm at all, for now at least.

2. Default

Default Wolf says Rawr

I agree. The Wii is fine. It has to much potential, eventually people will see that.

3. masonb15

masonb15 Flawless Victory

Wii Friend Code: 2524-4702-5527-5865
    2524-4702-5527-5865
    I think the Wii will soon be in trouble if the 3rd Party developers can't come up with something good other than ports of older games.

4. Squall7

Squall7 A li'l bit different

Wii Friend Code: 8420-0141-9022-6948
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    I never take into consideration what the media says outside the gaming industry about the gaming industry. There's been so many 'experts' and 'analysts' saying pretty much everything there is to say, that at least one of them is going to be as right as saying the next roll of the dice is between 1 and 6....

...So ye, I simply don't believe them (or at least that they've got it from unbiased sources *cough* unlike Mark Rein *cough*).

5. Trulen

Trulen Isn't here as much

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Well, I wouldn't worry about declining sales.

'Cause I know I wouldn't buy two wii's if you get my drift.

6. mushroomedmario

mushroomedmario ssb4life

Wii Friend Code: 5701-4561-7633-7008
    5701-4561-7633-7008
    september=pricey month for students

pricey month for students=no students buying wii's

i wouldn't really worry about it, besides mp3 and msc, no good nintendo games are out...

7. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

well i know ill probably spark a war here but its just facts
    a lot of people hardly play their wii besides when friends are over (sometimes) and at parties. now, this i can name off the top of my head 6 people who own or owned a wii. 2 of them followed me and sold theirs because they got bored with it, the other 4 dont play it all pretty much. now im sure there are people who play it everyday and will justify that online here, many people on here probably dont touch it often, and then theres the ones who just try to defend nitnendo and say they do play it extremely often but really dont (and lying to yourself gets you no where in life, btw).
    but the reasons ive heard are there are no good games, and when compared to the 360 last year--well the 360 has been out for a whole year and the wii is new. well, in a month or so wii will be a year old as well and its not pumping out the games we saw last christmas from 360 or even ps3--of course there are the huge nintendo games--1 already out, mp3, but honestly, who is still playing that that got it the first week it came out? wii is still dependent on nintendo for great games and when you have to go through huge gameless summers like the last one for the wii just to get the good nintendo games..theres a problem. nintendo needs its triple A titles and they need third party AAA titles, or there just wont be enough games to make the wii last.

8. RivalDestiny

RivalDestiny WiiChat Member
    Staff Member

Wii Friend Code: 0409-5781-9484-0073
    0409-5781-9484-0073
    I have to agree with you, the only reason why the Gamecube supposedly "failed" is because 3rd party developers were either not interested, or just wanted to make some quick cash by putting out crap games. Thus far, it's going on the same road on the Wii, many developers aren't putting enough effort into the Wii...graphics, gameplay, and presentation are all really low compared to the X360. The Wii is on decline right now, they aren't pumping out enough games and they are not satifying as many customers as they need.

The only 2 games that a I truly enjoyed were MP3 and Zelda, the rest were either total crap or just O.K. PS2 and X360 right now are getting my most attention, the Wii is sorta just...sitting there.

Christmas season is coming up and we'll see how Nintendo does. Games like Fire Emblem, Super Mario Galaxy, Battalion Wars 2, and some others may get my attention. Right now is when Nintendo needs to pick it up and they better soon.

9. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Yeah I agree with the last part there especially.
    Nintendo can only make so many games, like Brawl and Galaxy..Mario Kart etc.
    Could be some new characters that we will see soon (hopefully).

But we need third party support in a big way.
    Cus your right, there won't be any games to make the Wii last.
    Just like our good friend the Gamecube.

Also I honestly can say I play my Wii everyday, despite all that.

10. Squall7

8420-0141-9022-6948
    All very subjective though. Also depends on your social circles. Personally, I know quite a few people that are still playing about with their Wii's, maybe not on a daily basis, but definately often enough to warrant their purchase. Also, most of them are looking forward to titles that are coming out over this holiday. Then, of course, there's still those ones that haven't had the opportunity or money to get themselves a Wii yet...

I think you shot yourself in the foot there. Most people that own a Wii that I've ever talked to is either looking forward to a game that is coming over the christmas peroid or before or many of them. And I'm sorry that I haven't got your taste in games, but I don't really see anything released as of yet that has really sold me on the 360.

Whoa, you're forgetting that all consoles usually have dry summers. And secondly, that's rubbish. There's plenty of third party titles that people are looking forward to.

Galaxy, Brawl and Mario Kart not enough for you? Can't really say anything about third party titles, because they've not yet proven their quality in as much depth as Nintendo (which everybpdy trusts to bring out AAA titles), but some really do look very promising.

I have to ask, you always seem so down on the Wii. If it doesn't hold your interest, why does bitching on it seem to make it up for you?

#10 Squall7, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  11. Wiingman

Wiingman WiiChat Member

it's probably a conspiracy.

think it about it... nintendo has profited ridiculously from the Wii. if nintendo is the only company releasing good games for its system, well then it's going to profit even more ridiculously.

if third parties dont make decent titles for the Wii, then nintendo stands to make even more money. I'm sure 75% + people who own a Wii will by Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mariokart.

12. RivalDestiny

RivalDestiny WiiChat Member
    Staff Member

Wii Friend Code: 0409-5781-9484-0073
    0409-5781-9484-0073
    What he's trying to say is that 3rd party developers need to improve on making games. In my opinion I've seen no games from the 3rd party that really made me say "wow, that was a good game".

Many 3rd party games on the Gamecube looked very promising but ended up playing like crap.

Many of us saw a great future for the Wii a month in when it was released. Now it's almost a year old, and we have not seen anything eye-catching. Also some things Nintendo promised us never happened...

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo makes fantastic games, but they need some
    support or else the console won't succeed later in life.

I don't see how Nintendo would make more money if third parties make crap games...wouldn't they lose money? People will own most of Nintendo games, but most people can't just live with those, we have to have some other content outside of Nintendo.

#12 RivalDestiny, Oct 18, 2007
  13. JAKE196

JAKE196 Cogito Ergo Sum

hmm, well the decrease in sales is probably because a lot of people have it now. . . strange a couple months ago I read a lot of dovelopers were becoming more confident in doveloping for the wii. . .

can't really know what to trust, I do know a few impotant people have expressed intrest in the potential of the wii in interviews though. :lol:

EDIT: one more thing, instead of worrying maybe they should concentrate on making better games, and it's seems kind of hard to be worried about a console that is one of the fastest selling ones yet.

#13 JAKE196, Oct 18, 2007
  14. Squall7

8420-0141-9022-6948
    Usually conspiracies are based upon evidence (whether legitimate or not - and more than someone elses' opinions).

So you think Nintendo are paying other developers NOT to do a good game...? It's only logical to assume that Nintendo has the best games on a Nintendo system because they know exactly how they can push their system, and obviously are more aware of audiences (selling hardware and software is more difficult than simply selling software).

Actually, the more Nintendo makes available to third parties, the more they can make instead of their competition. A lot of people won't make multiple console purchases if they don't have to, and if some Nintendo games don't appeal to them, then they have to try and rely on third party devs.

Maybe not "wow, that was a good game", but surely you have seen a third party titles that's coming soon that you think might be really fun? Ghost Squad, Umbrella Chronicles, Zack and Wiki, Worms, Medal of Honour Heroes 2, No More Heroes, Sadness, Red Steel 2, etc... I mean, I get what you mean about third party titles out now, but now we're just seeing the tail end of the first wave of games. I think this christmas, we'll begin to see some second party titles, and some do look promising (or at least I think so).

Which ones did you have in mind whilst saying that? Personally, I enjoyed the gamecube, it's just that it was against the powerhouse of PS2, and the classic Nintendo games seemed to have got drowned out...

Yet... To be honest, I'm willing to wait for some of those promised features if it means that they work well right away.

I agree, but then I feel that the Wii is getting more support than the Gamecube had, even if devs are still a little unsure about it.

#14 Squall7, Oct 18, 2007
  15. [DT]

[DT] Gearhead Surf Coder

The logic in the article is all ass-backwards.

You've got a potential consumer base of 12M people who are hungry for games, representative 3rd party titles like RE4 that sell 800,000+ copies (with a limited target demographic) and THIS is the market you want to abandon?

The real metric here is software sales (*ahem* yes, this is a side effect of pirating games) - if good titles can hit a sales target of 10% of the Wii owners, even if another Wii was never sold, you're looking at ~1.2M units.

I would think the cost of doing business in the Wii game industry would be cheaper than the 360 or PS3 - the latter have much more complex development costs and far longer time-to-market.

Anyone have any average software sales per platform information?

• Like Like x 1
  16. sherwood3570

sherwood3570 infused

Wii Friend Code: 1830-2062-7374-0757
    1830-2062-7374-0757
    I don't like how starved we are of serious rpgs and shooters. I don't want to bang on Square or EA but they release titles with kid-like characters like My Sims or Chronicles. It's almost like companies think they can make block busters for the other two systems then come to the Wii and make games that appeal to kids.

It's almost like a conspiracy and I'm starting to think that more and more. Nintendo consoles are always companied with horrible NickeloadianSP type games. I honestly think that the big N needs to create something more mature beyond Zelda or Metroid. I also think that they are stuck up. It seems like they are convinced that Mario games is what everybody wants.

I have pushed Nintendo to the side recently. I want to slash or snipe more animated objects in the head.

17. Master Foot

Master Foot WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 5574-4537-7049-7984
    5574-4537-7049-7984
    I think that they are worried because the Wii is ancient technology. Yeah the wiimote is cool, but all we have been getting are ports with waggle support. Twilight Princess falls in that category also :yikes: yep! There has been nothing AAA or must have coming to Wii except for Nintendo franchises. There's also the random shovelware coming to Wii that nobody has heard about. I like the Wii's potential, but if we don't get anything substantial post Metroid, Galaxy, and Brawl, then we have another Gamecube on our hands.

18. Moose

Moose The Wookie

Wii Friend Code: 1606-9696-7776-6446
    1606-9696-7776-6446
    I read a similar article on IGN and it's just totally stupid.

If the 3rd party developers would quit being wusses(what is the plural of wuss?) and actually make a DECENT game with GOOD looking graphics, generally people would buy their games. Also, spending time on the control scheme is important. People aren't going to want a game that is poorly developed.

I promise if they improved their output, the third party profits will go up.

I'm fairly confident that if games like Manhunt 2 and Trauma Center live up to their hype and do really well, other 3rd party developers will see it's possible, and worth it to produce better quality games

19. phillepino

phillepino SSBB Name = JAA!

Wii Friend Code: 5481-6878-4567-7796
    5481-6878-4567-7796

Resident Evil 4 deserves a "wow, that's a good game" ^_^

20. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

half my post was about third party. there are NO AAA titles from third party devs on the wii, there were. nintendo did get mp3 at the end of summer but thats a AAA title from nintendo but once they beat that and are done with it, what do they do? look forward to the next AAA title, which would be another nintendo game, yes this is mostly the third parties fault but its also ingrained in the nintendo fans head to constantly look forward to the next AAA title being released by nintendo.
    AAA titles define consoles and yes there are great games coming but all the AAA titles are from nintendo and nintendo cant hold keep people hooked with just their games, as history shows.

your last comment is totally unneeded, its your fault you missed the entirety of my post--and who cares if this is down on the wii? this article is DOWN on the wii, obviously it seems like things that i put out--which mostly arent my personal opinions or opinions at all is right on.

#20 Sovieto, Oct 18, 2007