Developers Are Worried About Wii's Future

RivalDestiny said:
The Wii selling out is great, but that doesn't prove much. The console may deliver, but the games also need to. The thread isn't really based on the Wii console, but it is about the games and how Nintendo is approaching it. It doesn't matter how many AAA titles there are, doesn't matter how many games Nintendo pushes out...but they must appeal to the whole crowd. And so far, not many have impressed me or the people that I know of. Just hope Nintendo can pull through and actually release some good-quality games.
To be fair, Nintendo is pushing out quite a wide amount of games.

Oh, and I feel people are marginalising Nintendo for not doing what 360 has done: cater to the "hardcore" market almost exclusively. This has also had a knock on effect with what people seem to expect from games nowadays - that they must be online. We'll begin to see some really good uses of online games in the coming months. I haven't really fallen for the concept of playing online, especially as I've mostly had a bad experience with online gaming (unneccessarily rude comments, people cheating, people bailing out of games because they aren't winning etc...). I am however excited at the prospect of potential online play with friends and the amount of excitement online will generate in others.

NS_Tr4mpld said:
Honestly, most 3rd party games are garbage, I don't care what ya say... Call me a fanboy call me what you will...
In past experience, they haven't been as great on Nintendo consoles...

About 5 years ago I quit playing console games all together. Why? Because they just stopped making good games. You would think that games could only get better as technology increases, not really though. Instead of making games better the industry got so big that quality was no longer an issue. Sorry for all you "hardcore" gamers but that's the truth... You think any game nowadays is gonna last more than a year anymore? I remember when I built my first gaming PC... Played Counter Striker for YEARS, played starcraft for YEARS... People still play starcraft for cryin out loud. People aren't like that anymore. I bought the Wii only because it was a change. If 3rd parties can't step away from the money for 2 seconds and make a long term decision then screw them. In the long run those companies will run them self into the ground.
Personally, I like cracking out retro consoles every now and then, and still having a blast. I still maintain that I can kick plenty of ass at Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Now I don't just love Nintendo, I have been letting my Wii collect dust ever since the Halo3 release because yea I love the game. But that's just 1 game I love on the xbox, gears is decent too but the rest of the games either blow or would be better to get on the PC... Everyone loves all the garbage though, blood guts titties and beer is all a game needs to survive anymore.
I know, quite sad really. Although I'm not a PC gamer myself, the state of "mature" games is basically a stereotype of both the younger gamers wanting them as well as the content being predictable (for the most part. I think there are exceptions).

Do I fear for the Wii... Nope, could care less if 3rd parties don't step it up, I bought it for the games I have grown to love. The real games that made this industry. The ORIGINALITY...
Indeed. Everybody inside the industry knows that the Wii is a serious contender, even if they don't openly admit it, or even program for it. Personally, I think we're beginning to step into a post-modern world of gaming, with games that parody games (Timesplitters, Simpsons, Paper Mario etc). I just don't think the industry can survive much longer without originality, even if you end up referencing in some way past titles.

Squall7 said:
Usually conspiracies are based upon evidence (whether legitimate or not - and more than someone elses' opinions).

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. What I mean to say is that maybe it's a conspiracy created by other companies e.g., sony/ microsoft to deter third parties from creating content for the Wii. The evidence is in articles, like the one mentioned here... and others... e.g., sony will win the console war and why...

Squall7 said:
So you think Nintendo are paying other developers NOT to do a good game...? It's only logical to assume that Nintendo has the best games on a Nintendo system because they know exactly how they can push their system, and obviously are more aware of audiences (selling hardware and software is more difficult than simply selling software).

Of course Nintendo isn't paying other developers to not create content, but I doubt Nintendo is losing sleep if they don't. Do you think Nintendo really cares how well Zak and Wikki do when Super Mario Galaxy already has 700,000+ pre-orders in Japan alone?

Squall7 said:
Actually, the more Nintendo makes available to third parties, the more they can make instead of their competition. A lot of people won't make multiple console purchases if they don't have to, and if some Nintendo games don't appeal to them, then they have to try and rely on third party devs.

Look, it's quite simple... If third parties want to sell games on the Wii, they have to make good games for the Wii... Let's put are love for Nintendo aside for a second. I'm sure we all can agree on a good game when we play one, whether it's on PS2, Xbox 360, Gamecube, etc. Good games get press because, they are, well good games; and people buy them in large numbers because of it.

People buy franchises like Mario in large numbers because people are going to get a certain level of quality. And the nintendo franchises alone are going to sell enough to keep the Wii ahead of its competition and in good shape.

I'm sorry, Squall... but by and large third party titles are pretty much garbage.

Last edited:
Wiingman said:
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. What I mean to say is that maybe it's a conspiracy created by other companies e.g., sony/ microsoft to deter third parties from creating content for the Wii. The evidence is in articles, like the one mentioned here... and others... e.g., sony will win the console war and why...
Ah, right. Still don't think it's the case, but I see what you mean now.

Of course Nintendo isn't paying other developers to not create content, but I doubt Nintendo is losing sleep if they don't. Do you think Nintendo really cares how well Zak and Wikki do when Super Mario Galaxy already has 700,000+ pre-orders in Japan alone?
Actually, I think third party developers have to pay Nintendo for every game they publish on their console, and as such, Nintendo will lose out money by not having third parties develop for them. That's not to say that they will lose sleep over Zack and Wiki, but they'll certainly lose a little pocket change.

Look, it's quite simple... If third parties want to sell games on the Wii, they have to make good games for the Wii... Let's put are love for Nintendo aside for a second. I'm sure we all can agree on a good game when we play one, whether it's on PS2, Xbox 360, Gamecube, etc. Good games get press because, they are, well good games; and people buy them in large numbers because of it.
True. But what I was getting at (and didn't explain very well, sorry) is that most people will go for one console if they can help it. For those that want "mature" games, Nintendo of the past has been lacking in that area (not completely, but comparitively), and so they'll overlook any good games on their console because another console has what they "really" want. Therefore, if Nintendo won't do a game that is catered for "mature content", they'll be fine with others' doing it for them: case in point, Resident Evil.

People buy franchises like Mario in large numbers because people are going to get a certain level of quality. And the nintendo franchises alone are going to sell enough to keep the Wii ahead of its competition and in good shape.
It's going to sell to Nintendo's already well established fanbase, but don't forget that Nintendo is now looking beyond that fanbase too...

I'm sorry, Squall... but by and large third party titles are pretty much garbage.
Fair enough. Though obviously I disagree, to an extent.

I can say that I play my Wii everyday and enjoy it very much still. But I think it will eventually start going downhill when everybody wants one already has one.......

Squall7 said:
Actually, I think third party developers have to pay Nintendo for every game they publish on their console, and as such, Nintendo will lose out money by not having third parties develop for them. That's not to say that they will lose sleep over Zack and Wiki, but they'll certainly lose a little pocket change.

I wasn't aware of this. But still, when looking at the Wiimote, maybe third parties are afraid to make games that implement it because they may fail miserably. Maybe it's not so much the Wii that scares them, but the Wii's control scheme.

Squall7 said:
True. But what I was getting at (and didn't explain very well, sorry) is that most people will go for one console if they can help it. For those that want "mature" games, Nintendo of the past has been lacking in that area (not completely, but comparitively), and so they'll overlook any good games on their console because another console has what they "really" want. Therefore, if Nintendo won't do a game that is catered for "mature content", they'll be fine with others' doing it for them: case in point, Resident Evil.

exactly, but people who invest in a Wii over a 360 know ahead of time they won't be getting much mature content. So, in that respect, yes it's good for third parties to make those games once in a while for the Wii.

Squall7 said:
It's going to sell to Nintendo's already well established fanbase, but don't forget that Nintendo is now looking beyond that fanbase too...

Nintendo's newly discovered fanbase is people who typically don't play games... and I will go out on a limb and say that these people greatly overvalue gameplay over graphics... case in point, my friend's mom who has never owned a console wants a Wii because of Wiifit... now think about this... nintendo can spend like 1/4 of the time and 1/4 of the money developing Wiifit but make it enjoyable and people will buy it in large quantities... Vs. Epic taking millions of dollars and years to make Gears of War - which may or may not hit... yeah it hit, but you see my point. Who do you think has the better business model?

Squall7 said:
Fair enough. Though obviously I disagree, to an extent.

you know its not so much "third party", but the developers... capcom makes great games... rare... square enix and EA to an extent.

Personally I think this nameless president did not expect the Wii to take off, and now making up excuses to why they are late to the plate when it comes to why they are not developing for the Wii. Seems it's a popular excuse to blame it as a "fad" than some to take seriously, however it is those "fads" that make people rich if they can catch it quick enough.

Fad or no fad, the simple fact there are almost 3 times as many Wii's in people's living rooms should be enough for developers to include it on it's development list if they plan to be able to sell there title.

As far as slumped sales in Japan, the current ratio is about 34.34 to 1 (for every 34.34 Japanese there are 1 Wii console) according to VGChartz.com's number, so there is certainly more room for growth. If the sales shortages are anything like the U.S., I am sure the numbers who are striving to get a hold of one have and now the more casual buyers (the one's who can wait for it) are now able to finally pick them up. Personally it says something that the demand has managed to keep production maxed out this long says a lot.

Using the census population verses VGchartz again, the ratio is 58.02 to 1 in the U.S., and just the other day I caught two people in the electronics section peeking at where the Wii's was stored hoping to obviously pick one up. Last year's holiday sales did no justice for the Wii, as they was all snatched up, however this season Nintendo claims they are better prepared so I expect to not to see them in stores this holiday season still.

its survived and kicked ass this long. the only thing to take ti down so far was, sadly, halo 3

The Wii is the first system that I've seen a whole family be able to play together and enjoy it. I've never seen my mother-in-law even remotely try to approach a 360. I think the audience for the Wii is different and possibly broader than a 360. Plus it's cheaper. :)

CantGetAWii said:
Anyone feel the Wii is in danger?
Personally I don't feel the Wii is in any harm at all, for now at least.

I think the part where they blame Nintendo for the inablilty to predict the wii's success is crap because it is THEM who underestimated the wii and had to scramble to cobble together crap to catch up. It thier own fault and now they wanna say it a fad, get real...

But on the other hand, I think this lously attitude towards the wii and Nintendo will harm it's future because its third party support that makes or breaks a console.

sherwood3570 said:
I don't like how starved we are of serious rpgs and shooters. I don't want to bang on Square or EA but they release titles with kid-like characters like My Sims or Chronicles. It's almost like companies think they can make block busters for the other two systems then come to the Wii and make games that appeal to kids.

I surely agree with you here. The developers have an attitude towards Nintendo that their systems cannot support serious blockbuster games. I do notice a pattern in this. Example: Konami; it made Dewy's Adventure for the wii, but made Metal Gear Solid for the PS3.

Maybe Nintendo has to set the standard for making a serious adult game for the wii and proving it can succeed before anyone esle takes it seriously.

i'm going to have to agree with squall7 in this whole thread

a lot of the games i look forward to are third parties
i'm going to buy these ones for sure
no more heroes, moh, guitar hero 3, manhunt 2, final fantasy cc, the crystal bearers, words: a space oddity, star wars: force unleashed

and than there are games like ghost squad, zack and wiki, raving rabbids 2, red steel 2, nights, bleach and re: uc

Master Foot said:
I think that they are worried because the Wii is ancient technology. Yeah the wiimote is cool, but all we have been getting are ports with waggle support. Twilight Princess falls in that category also :yikes: yep! There has been nothing AAA or must have coming to Wii except for Nintendo franchises. There's also the random shovelware coming to Wii that nobody has heard about. I like the Wii's potential, but if we don't get anything substantial post Metroid, Galaxy, and Brawl, then we have another Gamecube on our hands.

Yes, and blame the developers for this.

The irony about the wii being ancient technology is that when Nintendo had the most powerfull tech, last gen, it still didn't help it, the gamecude still came in last, a distant last at that. Now the wii is selling like candy, despite it's old tech and the developers are now blaming that for its potential failure and unwillingness to develope for it. Its like what to they want?

Moose said:
I read a similar article on IGN and it's just totally stupid.

If the 3rd party developers would quit being wusses(what is the plural of wuss?) and actually make a DECENT game with GOOD looking graphics, generally people would buy their games. Also, spending time on the control scheme is important. People aren't going to want a game that is poorly developed.

I promise if they improved their output, the third party profits will go up.

I'm fairly confident that if games like Manhunt 2 and Trauma Center live up to their hype and do really well, other 3rd party developers will see it's possible, and worth it to produce better quality games

Thank you! If they would stop blaming Nintendo and the wii's tech and just get to building a better game for it, than they wouldn't have a reason to complain.

I'm very unsympathetic towards 3rd parties in general. They complain about the Wii and how it may be a fad yet just about all of the 3rd party games we're getting are crap. Worried about the Wii? Stop bitching and actually make some good games for once. Bad games getting bad sales is no surprise.

I'm sure the third party offering will improve quite a bit but don't expect "AAA" games. However, just because a game isn't "AAA" doesn't mean it's not worth playing. The DS didn't get a lot of good 3rd party games at first but now it's practically swimming in them and Nintendo finds itself not having to support the DS as much.

I really don't think that the Wii is in any real danger, to be completely honest with you. I personally think that the main reason for the lower sales this month may be directly related to the small number of games available, but that will change within the next few months, as more and more games have been announced to be released one after another.

Back