Does God exist?

hey you guys should check this out.
Its a link to a page of the creation EVIDENCE museum.
Dr. Carl Baugh came up with this hypothesis. Dont know what you guys would think though.

http://75.125.60.6/~creatio1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=7

on the right side of the page is a column with pics and labels on it. its a creation timeline with some very cool scientific evidence.
What evidence? It's just a load of pseudoscientific nonsense and speculation, and the only "evidence" they seem to have is some Bible quotes (and it is circular reasoning to use the Bible to prove the Bible is correct).

Alright creationists, just for a change, I've got some questions for you:

1) How do you account for the fact that several different radioactive dating methods all consistently give an age of the Earth of approximately 4.5 billion years?

2) If the Universe is only 6000 years old, how do explain the fact that we can see objects millions of light years away?

3) Why do you think that this "intelligent designer" has to be the God of the Bible/Qu'ran, and not aliens or the Greek gods, for example?

What evidence? It's just a load of pseudoscientific nonsense and speculation, and the only "evidence" they seem to have is some Bible quotes (and it is circular reasoning to use the Bible to prove the Bible is correct).

1) How do you account for the fact that several different radioactive dating methods all consistently give an age of the Earth of approximately 4.5 billion years?

2) If the Universe is only 6000 years old, how do explain the fact that we can see objects millions of light years away?

3) Why do you think that this "intelligent designer" has to be the God of the Bible/Qu'ran, and not aliens or the Greek gods, for example?

1. This is directly from the Creation Evidence Museum Website
Creation Science Briefs
Subject: Carbon Dating
A less-common form of the carbon atom, carbon-14, is used today by scientists as a method to date once-living organisms. Many people believe that carbon dating disproves the Biblical time scale of history. However, because of the difficulties with current C14 dating techniques, the dates produced have been shown to be faulty.
Carbon-14 is produced in the upper atmosphere by action of cosmic rays. Once the C 14 has been formed, by converting nitrogen-14 into carbon-14, it behaves like ordinary carbon-12, combining with oxygen to give carbon dioxide, and freely cycling through the cells of all plants and animals. Carbon-14 is used for a dating material because once it has been formed, C14 begins to decay radioactively back to nitrogen-14, at a rate of change that can be measured. As soon as an organism dies, the C14 atoms which decay are no longer replaced by new ones through respiration. Consequently, the ratio of C14 to C12 in that once-living organism decreases as time goes on. The problem with the carbon dating method is—scientists can not be sure of what the C14/C12 ratio was when the organism died. Carbon dating assumes that the ratio has remained constant; however, events, such as the industrial revolution, are known to have raised C12 levels. Other possible factors, such as the presence of a water canopy, would have lowered the amount of C14 in the pre-Flood world. Because pre-Flood specimens had so little carbon-14 in them, some might appear to have been decaying for tens of thousands of years. Also, the decay of the earth’s magnetic field would have direct effects on C14 level, again, giving artificially old ages the farther you go back in time. Finally, carbon dating has been shown untrustworthy with some present day aquatic specimens that were concluded to be thousands of years old. For example, the shells of living snails’ were carbon dated and showed that the snails had died 27,000 years ago. Other specimens have been carbon dated more than once, each time producing a different date varying by thousands of years. In overview, we see that the radiocarbon dating method is certainly no embarrassment to the Biblical creationist who believes in a young earth. In fact, when all data, such as the decay of the magnetic field and the canopy, is taken into accord, carbon dating seems to support a young earth.
CEM Staff

2. Genesis 1:2-4 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

So the light was there and has been there since.

3.Because I just have faith.

u guys dont have faith.
either because
a.) You wern't raised near god
b.) rasied to believe in evolution
c.)doubting that there is a god, making a prayer and you don't get it- making you believe there isn't a god
d.)you are wondering, why is there evil in this world
e.)stuff from god sounds crazy to you, doubting there is a god

The Bible does not rule out a 4.5 billion year old earth, a 100 billion year old earth, or even a 100 quadrillion year old earth. The Hebrew word translated as "day" can mean any amount of time, not just a 24 hour period, much the same was the English word "day" can (i.e. "Back in my day...", etc.).

That's a whole nother giant topic that people spend their entire lives working on....

Creation Science Briefs
I stopped reading about here. That's not how you'd estimate the age of the Earth (it doesn't work for things which are more than a few thousand years old). You have to use other methods, such as lead-lead dating. My question was, how do you explain the fact that several different methods all give roughly the same result of around 4.5 billion years?

2. Genesis 1:2-4 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

So what I think you're saying is, God created the light from distant objects "in transit", so that we'd able to see objects billions of light years away? Wouldn't that imply that God is trying to deceive us into thinking the Universe is much older than it is?

u guys dont have faith.
either because
c.)doubting that there is a god, making a prayer and you don't get it- making you believe there isn't a god
Well my family isn't religious, although I wasn't raised to "believe in evolution". That's a conclusion I came to on my own, by studying the evidence.

The reason I don't have faith is because I'm a sceptic. I value evidence, reason, and testability of claims. You're right on one thing though, a lot of religion does sound crazy to me (a lot of it seems contradictory- for example, what kind of "loving" God could cast someone into Hell for eternity?).

The Bible does not rule out a 4.5 billion year old earth, a 100 billion year old earth, or even a 100 quadrillion year old earth. The Hebrew word translated as "day" can mean any amount of time, not just a 24 hour period, much the same was the English word "day" can (i.e. "Back in my day...", etc.)..
I was mainly questioning the Young Earth Creationists (not that I don't think Old Earth Creationism is equally rubbish).

Creation Science Briefs
I stopped reading about here. That's not how you'd estimate the age of the Earth (it doesn't work for things which are more than a few thousand years old). You have to use other methods, such as lead-lead dating. My question was, how do you explain the fact that several different methods all give roughly the same result of around 4.5 billion years?

So what I think you're saying is, God created the light from distant objects "in transit", so that we'd able to see objects billions of light years away? Wouldn't that imply that God is trying to deceive us into thinking the Universe is much older than it is?

u guys dont have faith.
either because
Well my family isn't religious, although I wasn't raised to "believe in evolution". That's a conclusion I came to on my own, by studying the evidence.

The reason I don't have faith is because I'm a sceptic. I value evidence, reason, and testability of claims. You're right on one thing though, a lot of religion does sound crazy to me (a lot of it seems contradictory- for example, what kind of "loving" God could cast someone into Hell for eternity?).

The Bible does not rule out a 4.5 billion year old earth, a 100 billion year old earth, or even a 100 quadrillion year old earth. The Hebrew word translated as "day" can mean any amount of time, not just a 24 hour period, much the same was the English word "day" can (i.e. "Back in my day...", etc.)..
I was mainly questioning the Young Earth Creationists (not that I don't think Old Earth Creationism is equally rubbish).

love hurts. and 'hell' is just a term. nobody is in hell for eternity. the moment they are thrown into hell, they are wiped out from existance. they are gone, and no longer real. as a fading memory. why would he do that? well, if you refuse to love him, and worship him, then why shouldn't he? to tell you guys, there's no way of proving anything, and I know that. the only way we are going to find out the day we die, and if i meet you guys in heaven, then im greeting you guys with a 'told-you-so' response. however, there's no real way of proving anything. :lol: evolution is man's theory because we men cannot reason the supernatural. God does not have a beginning, and does not have an end. he was just there, and we cannot make reason of that. That is why men turn to evolution, because they believe it has the evidence, and some other stuff.

love hurts. and 'hell' is just a term. nobody is in hell for eternity. the moment they are thrown into hell, they are wiped out from existance. they are gone, and no longer real. as a fading memory. why would he do that? well, if you refuse to love him, and worship him, then why shouldn't he? to tell you guys, there's no way of proving anything, and I know that. the only way we are going to find out the day we die, and if i meet you guys in heaven, then im greeting you guys with a 'told-you-so' response. however, there's no real way of proving anything. :lol: evolution is man's theory because we men cannot reason the supernatural. God does not have a beginning, and does not have an end. he was just there, and we cannot make reason of that. That is why men turn to evolution, because they believe it has the evidence, and some other stuff.
ah, the ignorance of humanity. what he said.:yesnod:

Well the thing is, some Christians say Hell is oblivion, some say it's a literal place of fire, and others say it just means eternal separation for God.

Yes, evolution is a human theory, but so what? There's evidence to support it, it's been tested in experiments, and it fits the facts together neatly. To me that is much more satisfying than just using supernatural phenomena which may or may not exist to explain something you don't understand.

Well the thing is, some Christians say Hell is oblivion, some say it's a literal place of fire, and others say it just means eternal separation for God.

Yes, evolution is a human theory, but so what? There's evidence to support it, it's been tested in experiments, and it fits the facts together neatly. To me that is much more satisfying than just using supernatural phenomena which may or may not exist to explain something you don't understand.

not all christians know this either, but they believe that Jesus is just going to appear from no-where, and take all the christians away, and burn everybody else. thanks for me reading the bible, i've learned many things. the bible has told of many prophets that came true 1000s years later, so tell me, how could that just be a coincidence?

not all christians know this either, but they believe that Jesus is just going to appear from no-where, and take all the christians away, and burn everybody else. thanks for me reading the bible, i've learned many things. the bible has told of many prophets that came true 1000s years later, so tell me, how could that just be a coincidence?
Why don't you tell me about these prophecies then? Note: you can't use a prophecy of something that's also in the Bible (that would be "begging the question"), and it has to be specific enough so that you couldn't just apply it to anything.

That's just the only thing I believe in, but that also may never come true because neither of us know if there even is anything after death.

I believe the Bible teaches good morals, though that's just about it.

Also, out of curiosity (if anyone may answer this), but I was once told by a teacher that the same stories told in the Bible have been around in many other books before the Bible was written. Is this true?

the bible shouldn't even be used in this arguement as it contradicts itself on multiple occasions. plus as a religous text, of course its going to say god exists and such because thats what it was written for, to foster belief in the nonexistent.

now please, provide some proof of god that isn't intelligent design crap. all that is is religion trying to be scientific.

Also, out of curiosity (if anyone may answer this), but I was once told by a teacher that the same stories told in the Bible have been around in many other books before the Bible was written. Is this true?
Possibly. The best example is the Noah's flood story, which shares a lot in common with the flood myths of the acient Hindus, Greeks, and Sumerians. The Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and several smaller religions) in general share a lot in common with Zoroastrianism (the oldest monotheistic religion still around today), although it's difficult to say where Zoroastrianism influenced those religions, or the other way around.

Also, some people have tried to link the story of Jesus to the Egyptian god Horus, although I'm not sure how reliable their claims are.

Back