Dont buy your Wii from Ebay or craigslist...Save your money..Wii's are out there!!!!!

jondeak

WiiChat Member
Mar 23, 2008
Why pay 330 dollars for the Wii when you can Buy it for 250 and have fun doing it !!! I became interested in the Wii on wednesday march 19th and owned one on Friday march 21st. What i did was go to EB'S website and found there store locator and I started to call everyone in my area, there was about 5 or 6 EB's and games stops within about a 10 mile radius of me. And I asked every single store when they are going to get them in. I fianlly scored and the one game stop told me that they will get some in the very next day !! So i was like im gonna make this happen. I turned off all my lights and my tv at 10pm and forced myself to go to sleep, i set my alarm clock for 530 am and woke, got myself a cup of joe and drove to the store. I was there by 545 and i was the first one there ! the second person showed up by 630, 3rd by 730, 4th by 800 and by 9am there was about 20 people behind me(apparently they didnt keep this a secret). The mangers got there about 915 and opened the doors and 945 and let us in a little early because it was freezing out, a really cool parent went and got the WHOLE line coffe which was really cool of her. Anyway they let us in and told everyone that there was only six coming in via UPS. PEOPLE WERE PISSED !! I was the first one so i was happy !! So we were all in the store waiting for usp....To kill time i played games, asked questions about the wii and made a ton of new gamer friends, it really wasnt that bad. then around 12 noon UPS came and brought the six Wiis and the people in the store clapped for the driver which was kinda gay, lol.....anyway with a little research and some motovation I saved myself 70 to 125 bucks by doing this vs buying it on craigs list or ebay....and that extra money bought me a game and an extra controller!! So no i dont think 330 is a good deal......250 IS !!!!!!!!1 GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO IS STILL TRYING TO GET THEM !! THEY ARE OUT THERE !!

HERE'S THE LINK TO EB'S STORE FINDER...JUST PUT IN YOUR ZIPCODE !!
http://web.sa.mapquest.com/gamestop/?tempset=search

Sounds like you had fun. Wish I had fun siting out side of toys r us at 2:00 in the morning being 2nd in line. And I was feeling sick that day so that didnt help either. So yeah my wait outside of a store for a wii (about a month after it came out) sucked. lol :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i would agree that there are wiis out there. Just a little bit of extra effort will save you that 100 bucks. I got my will last April 1 week after i decided I wanted a wii. Target was where I got it. I went to stand in line at 6.45 since the store opens at 8. This was one anotehr reason I did not choose bestbuy or toysrus since they open much later.

From then on I have helped 4 of my friends get their wii from teh target store. Everyone that decided they want a wii and had it within 15 days.

So you got up at 5:30am, sat in line all morning at got a Wii at 12pm? I'd pay the extra $60 (you gotta pay tax at EBGames) and sleep in. Unless you're making < $10 an hour on your job, it's not really worth it.

2006 Wii or 2008???

Can anyone tell me if there are any differences between the 2006 WII and the 2007 or 2008? I am getting ready to get a 2006 and didnt want to buy if there are big changes to the newer ones. :) thanks

Thing with Ebay or similar sites is you get caught having to buy junk or extras you don't need, like cooling fan etc. Just wait and get one in stores, it will be a lot better in the end, and you can buy what you need after.

groovychic said:
Can anyone tell me if there are any differences between the 2006 WII and the 2007 or 2008? I am getting ready to get a 2006 and didnt want to buy if there are big changes to the newer ones. thanks

2007/2008 disc drives work better and the the system overall runs a bit smoother than earlier models. Your best bet is to buy a new one in store.

and the 2008 version has a updated disc feeder too. Some of the old Wii's had problems with the disc not feeding into the mouth of the system................And technod. it would be alot more then 60 dollars. The average Wii is going between 330 and 375 on ebay, and that does not include the average 29 dollar shipping price. so its more like a 100 to a 150 dollare differance. Although most of us do make more then 10 ten dollars an hour it could be more difficult for kids working their first job making 7 to 10 bucks an hour. that extra 150 bucks could result in an extra 2 or 3 days work for some. But if you bought yours for more then 250 then more nintendo power to yeah !

easy way

I'll share my story since it was the exact opposite as the original post.

About 3 weeks after the Wii came out, I started checking wiitracker.com. The site lists when online stores have them in stock and has links right to the item so you can grab it quickly. It also shows a history, so I checked the history and took note of the stores that were offering the Wii by itself for $250.

From memory this was Toys R Us, Sears, Amazon, and Best Buy. I clicked the product page for each site and made them a bookmark. Then over the day I would just check those pages and sure enough, I got it thru Amazon for $250. No fuss, all while chillin in my basement playing video games and surfing the internet in 1 day.

So in summary, just go to wiitracker.com and check the history for recent $250 sales and then bookmark the product page and refresh it from time to time. Simple as that :)

I got a bit lucky on eBay I guess.
I was determined to get a Wii after about 2 weeks of looking. I took out 400 dollars from my savings account (thanks to my not buying much for the past few weeks, I was able to save up a decent amount of cash, lol) and was ready to go Wii hunting on eBay.

As said, most systems go over 300 bucks, some even close to 400 if you are on there at the right time.
I found about three systems that were being sold at the same time, chose one, and hung out around there for about 10 minutes (it was at 250, before the last-second bids were to come in).
I had 270 bucks typed in and ready to hit "Bid." I refreshed to check the price with about 1 minute left, and it was now up to 275 exactly (which is odd).
I changed it to 280, and with 30 seconds left, put it in, figuring it wouldn't matter, because if somebody was going to bid 300, I was more than willing to let them have it.
I won it for 280, and I guess the other bidders were bidding on the other systems. Yeah, shipping is 40 bucks, which brings it to 320 (still lower than many I've seen, w/o shipping), but at least it will be shipped UPS Ground with tracking as compared to some shipping for 50+ with USPS Parcel Post. I figure it was worth it for me, because places around here (North Alabama, near Hunstville) seem to never get Wii shipments, and when they do, tons of people show up from what I've heard.
I also won Sonic and the Secret Rings earlier and paid less than 19 for it all (new), so that makes it even better, lol :)

Oh, and the Wii is new. I've also seen used ones go for 290 with the 30-40 shipping. And it is from a reputable seller.

Now all I gotta do is hope this guy hasn't been planning this scam for the past 5 years or something, and I'll be fine:smilewinkgrin:

A little bit of help for anyone still looking for a Wii:

Look in the Target weekly ad every week. If the actual Wii console is IN the ad, the store WILL have Wiis when they open on Sunday morning.

(This is coming from a Target electronics employee, so trust me, it IS true.)

And this is true nationwide, for all Target stores. The number of Wiis may vary, but they WILL have some.

Back