elite or not?

cif

WiiChat Member
Apr 3, 2007
im thinking of getting an elite because i like the sound of the hd movies and what not for download in the future, but cant i just get a premium and then buy an external hdd and plug it into the usb and save some $$ and still be able to download what i want from live? or not? thanks

Assuming this works.. You could always purchase the Xbox 360 Core package and pick up an Xbox 360 Elite HDD later on. That way your console is quite similar to that of the elite. Except for the colour that is.

i suppose, i forget, is the core the same as premium but without the hdd? or is there more differences?

edit: oh the cables, so can i get a core and then get hd cables and then will it be the same as a premium bar the headset and wireless controller and hdd? and use my own Ethernet cable?

Last edited:
Basically their the same yes.

Just some prices..

Xbox 360 Core System: $299.00
Xbox 360 Premium System: $399.99
Xbox 360 Elite System: $479.00

Xbox 360 120 HDD : 179.00
Regular HDD: 20 GB HD

From this view point it seems like it would be best to purchase the Elite. Seeing as purchasing a xbox 360 along with a 120 GB HD will bring you to around the same price. However if you don't plan on downloading lots of content I suggest on getting the premium system.

Last edited:
The difference between the core and premium is the Premium comes with a HDD (20GB) a wireless controller, headset, chrome DVD drive, component and composite combo cable, and an ethernet cable. The core comes with a wired controller, white DVD drive, composite cables, and no HDD. I wouldn't get the core though, it is a very bad value compared to the premium and elite since the core and a 120GB HDD would cost the same as the elite.

Last edited:
ok i guess ill just get a core then and pick up a n elite hdd maybe christmas time, any confirmation on the hdd being fully functional on the core system as syntax was only assuming. thanks

edit: oh and 1 more, if i purchase a elite hdd in the usa will it work on a uk core system, thanks again

cif said:
ok i guess ill just get a core then and pick up a n elite hdd maybe christmas time, any confirmation on the hdd being fully functional on the core system as syntax was only assuming. thanks
It is, but it would be pointless to get the core. If you get the Elite it will be the same price as buying the core and the HDD plus you would get HDMI, a wireless controller, etc.

Edit: I'm not sure about the US HDD, I assume it would work, but I'm not 100% sure

i cant really afford an elite though, and what i was thinking was getting the core with a phone contract that was i can get my mam to pay the majority of the phone bill :p

Edited my previous post with prices. Going to have to say I agree with Paintballer. I would go for the elite system and spend the extra $100.00. However if you don't have the money on you then I would suggest on getting the Xbox 360 Premium system with the 20gb hd.

i guess yous are right, and ive just found a contract for 35 pound and oyu get a premium instead of a core :D ill do some more research and im sure ill make a good choice, thanks alot for your speedy help guys:)

actually that deal kinda sucks cause ill have to pay like 280 pounds toward it so it works out the same, i guess ill have to wait till christmas :(

Syntax said:
Xbox 360 120 HDD : 179.00

That's a lot of money for 120 gigs. I seem to recall the PS3 lets you plug in your own drive, costing you what? $0.30 a gig or less. As opposed to $1.50 a gig.

I've got a countdown clock in my head that gives Nintendo time to "get" what hardcore (the demographic they claim they aren't leaving behind) means. Then I give up and delve into the awful and backward world of dual analog again. PS3 doesn't stick you with Live! fees and gives you storage freedom. Xbox has a better controller (I like the position of the Left analog better) and I'm already comfortable with Halo. What to do...

I like how the elite comes in black. Maybe after xmas it will drop down a little but if you really need that harddrive it would suck for you to buy the core and then the 120gb harddrive, Either way your getting snagged, But its a great system and I think the elite is worth it

Back