Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Evolution

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RPGMasterTurk91, Nov 21, 2009.

1. ARav989

ARav989 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 6597-7058-7157-6973
    6597-7058-7157-6973
    all of the posts in this thread are tl;dr.

So anyway, I do believe in evolution. There's just too much logic behind it for you to ignore it. I think the only people who don't believe in evolution are people who don't understand how it works/could work.

2. metal134

metal134 WiiChat Member

This is a lose-lose argument. If you accept the fact that these organisms have remained unchanged for millions of years, then you have to accept that the bible is wrong because if the bible is right, then the Earth is only a few thousand years old. If you accept that the Earth is only a few thousand years old, then the argument that they have remain unchanged for millions of years holds no water.

My take on it: First (and this is all based on whether they were actually found. Based on the Noah's Ark reference in the same post, I'm skeptical) , it would not be the first time we have found animals thought to be extinct. I fail to see how it means anything that we thought an organism was extinct, but they turned out to still be around. Secondly, why would they remain unchanged? Probably beacuse their environment, the inside of a volcano, can be a relatively unchanging environment. Some volcanos go dormant. But if a volcano remains active, it will be pretty much the same environment after 1,000 years, 1,000,000 years or even 1,000,000,000 years.

#22 metal134, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. Shadow*91

Shadow*91 Not Here

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    mabye for you but to many this reinforces our position that religion is false. evolution is natural occurance that happens on its own, without any outside force acting on it. evolution usn't foolproof for sure, but it just is a fact of life people must accept.

4. metal134

metal134 WiiChat Member

If you were responding to me, that's pretty what I was saying. The poster I was quoting was using that argument to "prove" how the bible was right and evolution was wrong.

5. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

Update which may be of interest: yesterday was the 150th anniversary of the publication of The Origin of Species.

6. AndThen?

AndThen? pull the trigger.

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Everyone here is ridiculously stupid. How do you manage to stay cool-headed, Napalm?

RPGMasterTurk91, try to create your own arguments rather than copy and pasting stuff of other sites.

7. Napalmbrain

I'll admit, it's not easy. I have to keep reminding myself that most people don't really understand about the evidence for evolution, and it doesn't help that there are websites like 'Answers in Genesis' and 'Conservapedia' spreading misinformation and lies about the subject.

8. her01771

her01771 retired competive brawler

Wii Friend Code: 3653-1119-7805-0000
    3653-1119-7805-0000
    im not going to argue. it doesn't matter what you think.
    but the thing is that 70% of ALL wars start because of different beliefs.

9. irape4free

irape4free white pride

Wii Friend Code: 0133-9145-4368-8222
    0133-9145-4368-8222
    creationism = ppl who failed biology and are to religious lets keep religion out of school now :lol: @andthen? im not stupid.

hey can some do me a favor search penn and teller creationism and copy and paste part 1,2 and 3 please this will aid the ppl for evolution in this debate greatly.

10. PrinceLink

PrinceLink Solid Snake, Olimar

You've been quite angry as of late. Or more blunt at the least.

11. Napalmbrain

This isn't about beliefs though, it's about the facts. And trust me when I say, evolution has the facts on its side.

Also, most wars really come down to land disputes rather tham beliefs.

12. AndThen?

AndThen? pull the trigger.

0000-0000-0000-0000
    It's the people of WiiChat who've changed. Not me. They're more narrow-minded, stupider, and more stubborn. Long-winded posts no longer serve a purpose. Blunt. Is. Good.

13. her01771

3653-1119-7805-0000
    this is my last comment on this thread. i want you to think of this.
    One who believes in religon couldn't care less about beliefs in evolution
    one who cares believes in evolution couldn't care less about beliefs in religon.
    but no one truely knows which theory is correct.
    so if 1 religon is correct, all those who believe in that religon will go to the places "Paradise"
    and all the rest will go to that religons "inferno"
    and if evolution is correct, we will spend an eternity in black darkness. period.

14. Napalmbrain

Wow, that is wrong on so many levels.

First off, evolution isn't just a 'belief', it's science. Science isn't about what you believe in, it's about collecting data and using theories to explain it. And evolution is a theory fits the data spectacularly.

Secondly, evolution and atheism are not synonymous. You can still be religious and accept it. Many religious people do, including a number of scientists (for example, Asa Gray was an early supporter of the theory and he was a Christian).

And lastly, evolution has nothing to do with any afterlife that may be in store. If most iatheists are correct, then you don't spend an eternity in blackness, instead your consciousness simply ceases to exist.

15. her01771

3653-1119-7805-0000
    exactly what i meant on a black darkness.
    and fyi you cant be religous and accept the theory of evolution. then you wouldn't be christian.
    and lastly, can you go back in time and prove evolution?

16. Napalmbrain

You seemed to imply you'd actually experience the total darkness.

You don't have to take the Bible completely literally to be a Christian.

This one always makes me laugh. Try applying this logic to something else and you'll quickly see how ridiculous that argument is: How do you know George Washington ever existed? Can you go back in time and prove he was real?

Look, we don't need to go back in time to prove evolution. We can infer it happens based on fossils, genetics, anatomy, embryology, etc. In fact, we have actually observed it in action, at least on a small scale (for example, Richard Lenski's long term evolution experiment on E. coli bacteria, where one sample evolved the ability to utilise citrate).

#36 Napalmbrain, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  17. metal134

metal134 WiiChat Member

I'll add on another reason. We CAN know that creationism is wrong because there is no evidence whatsoever to support it. There is absolutley no basis for accepting it. The complete lack of evidence or basis for such a theory is reason enough to know it's wrong.

I suppose this is true in practice, but it further proves the fruitlesness of it all and how religion is a totally subjective thing. If you don't take the bible literally, then what's the point of taking it at all (yeah, I know, careful what you wish for. That's all we need is more fundamentalilsts. But I digress). This picking and choosing which parts of the bible to believe and which to either not believe or take allegorically further shows that religion is nothing more than a malleable belief system which people use to fit their own cognitive state and achieve some kind of peace of mind that they couldn't have were they to not know what the answers to such questions are.

18. Napalmbrain

You sound a bit like my little brother.

I can see where you're coming from, but personally I much prefer them picking and choosing which bits to follow rather than following it completely- like you said, the last thing we need now is more fundamentalists.

19. RPGMasterTurk91

RPGMasterTurk91 Turkish RPG Master

Yes, I am in agreement with you here, I believe that both the Bible and the Torah have been corrupted beyond belief, and that it has become so malleable to fit peoples' needs and agendas and especially to "feel good".

Not all people of religion fit this exact criteria, however.

Also, it is true that many wars were started by fights for land, power, and girls, and that religion was the greatest tool of motivation and propaganda--and the people who provoked wars knew this. Religion was the fuel, the people are the car--and the drivers are the leaders who controlled what went on.

Most people in this thread are open-minded individuals, posting here shows me that they are people who think for themselves (for the most part) and that they are not afraid to portray what they believe to be correct. Napalmbrain is keeping his cool as am I, so the one kid who made the unnecessary comment doesn't even belong here.

I've been really busy lately I will reply back sometime next week when I have time, or at least try to squeeze some replies in. This wasn't my full response but I have no time right now, bear with me. :sick:

20. her01771

3653-1119-7805-0000
    even if this is a bump, it makes me laugh going back here to read what i wrote in the past. I'm still a christian, but Ive become more smarter, respectful, and less ignorant than when i was 12... XD