Format Flaw?

Cabe

Wii Owner
Nov 12, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Wii Online Code
2836-6898-4933-5432
I was just thinking...
When the PS1 came out the games were on CD and took a few hundred Mb each. When the PS was first launched people commented on how the disks had way to much room than needed yet by the end of the PS1 games were being squeezed onto the CDs. Then came the PS2 and DVD with a few Gb of storage, again people commented that we would not really need all that room but at the end of the PS2 era games are being squeezed onto DVD's.
Now comes the PS3 and BluRay and guess what, I've heard plenty of comments on how we don't need all that space but I'd be willing to bet that by the end of this generation the games are taking up the whole disks.
Now, you may be wondering why I'm talking about the Playstations when this was posted in the Xbox sub-forum. Don't worry, this all leads to a point.

The Xbox360 games come on DVD. To me that seems like a bit of a flaw. When games get bigger and bigger they are not going to be able to fit effectivly onto DVD's so what are Microsoft going to do?
They can't really switch formats to HD-DVD at some point as it would leave people NEEDING to purchase the HD-DVD drive.
It seems to me that by sticking with last generations storage medium Microsoft may have a serious problem later down the line.

They could, I guess, Offer games on HD-DVD for those that have the drive and on multiple DVDs for those that don't but that seems like such an ineffective way of doing so.

You're opinions on this matter

Its not the Blurays space most people are ranting about, but its price and how sony are pushing it just for a few companies will even 'try' it.

yah but the jump on storage between these discs is way bigger than ps1-ps2
and m$ already stated the hddrive will not play games and it is only for people who want to watch hd movies on their xbox
and dosent this mean wii messed up as well?
and theres a thing called multiple discs

your rant = ownt

Last edited:
Sovieto said:
and theres a thing called multiple discs
Just what I was going to say. Remember Metal Gear for the Gamecube. Such a perfect game that we didn't mind using two discs.

Yea, id much rather pay for a Dual Layer DVD game with 2-3 Cd's then a expensive 70-80+ $ Bluray game with 1 disk.

Right ok

Xbox 360 games come on DVD-9 which can hold double what a normal DVD can which I think is plenty (if not I dont mind 2 disks) and the dvd drives can read at a good speed

PS3 games come on Blue-ray which is a VERY new format and can only be read by the players at a slow speed, so if you have a game that fills up the disk - please be paitent as you will be waiting for LONG loading times..

so it seems to me that maybe Sont have a seious problem later down the line :ciappa:

GazPwii said:
Right ok

Xbox 360 games come on DVD-9 which can hold double what a normal DVD can which I think is plenty (if not I dont mind 2 disks) and the dvd drives can read at a good speed

PS3 games come on Blue-ray which is a VERY new format and can only be read by the players at a slow speed, so if you have a game that fills up the disk - please be paitent as you will be waiting for LONG loading times..

so it seems to me that maybe Sont have a seious problem later down the line :ciappa:
im sure theyll be able to make it alright
and i would think bluray would read it fast, since it is a blu ray player

arent ps3 loading times fast? i heard that (someone who owns a ps3 please and not: pshhh no wayz it slow it sucks from some wii fanboy)

here is a little quote I found by searching "PS3 Loading times"

"Sony is using a 2x speed BD drive, working at 9 MB/second. The Xbox360 uses a 12x DVD drive, where transfer speeds are at 16 MB/second. Even the PS3 DVD reader is faster than the Blu-ray.

Now imagine Resistance: Fall of Man, taking up a massive 22 GB, what sort of loading times can we expect? If there’s one thing Sony hasn’t openly talked about regarding the PS3, it’s the loading times."

:sleep:

GazPwii said:
here is a little quote I found by searching "PS3 Loading times"

"Sony is using a 2x speed BD drive, working at 9 MB/second. The Xbox360 uses a 12x DVD drive, where transfer speeds are at 16 MB/second. Even the PS3 DVD reader is faster than the Blu-ray.

Now imagine Resistance: Fall of Man, taking up a massive 22 GB, what sort of loading times can we expect? If there’s one thing Sony hasn’t openly talked about regarding the PS3, it’s the loading times."

:sleep:
gratz on facts

Sovieto said:
theres a thing called multiple discs

I mentioned that

Sovieto said:
your rant = ownt

It wasn't a rant. It was a passing thought on which I wanted to hear other peoples opinion. Its also not an attempt at a dig at the 360 because although I don't have a 360, my friend does and I play it quite often. I like the 360.

well how about 2 disks, you play the first one (half of the game) to unlock the second and than you play the second dvd to continue further into the game and finish it

good idea ?

ecko MAN said:
well how about 2 disks, you play the first one (half of the game) to unlock the second and than you play the second dvd to continue further into the game and finish it

good idea ?

:/ they've been doing that for years.

You just play through 'DVD 1' Until it asks to go to 'DVD 2' , if you try 'DVD 2first itll ask you to go to 'DVD 1' until your up to the right point in the game.

where did you mention multiple discs, i just read the whole post through again
and call it a rant or not, it was, rants arent bad things always a rant is just talking and giving facts about something to prove it otherwise or along those lines

Back