galaxy graphics

SMG graphics are nice, but its nothing more than clever coloring and shading.

When you look at something up close you can see how plain the colors are and how little detail there actually is in it. Its just from the view you play the game it looks a whole lot better. Kind of like when you look at something like...

warcraft2.png

Now obviously these graphics dont look good. But for its time (1995) it looks pretty nice with good coloring and stuff. But when you zoom into it, it becomes all pixelated

Like this

istockphoto_787979_pixelated_handprint_vector.jpg

Obviously though SMG isnt as bad as that because SMG graphics are more advanced. But thats the gist of it.

So I wouldnt call this a good game in a sense of entertainment. But also a great artistic piece. The developers really worked it well. But you wont see anything special in a game that looks more realistic (or atleast tries).

For example

reality-check_ftr_u-c.jpg

This game actually is one of the better looking Wii games but it doesn't measure up to other consoles, not even close. Wii of course probably can do better, but they wont be able to get ALOT better. Just moderately if you ask me.

s.jpg

Now that is great artwork too, but on a better machine able to dish out more color depth.

I think I may gone a little overboard though with my post.

elmo_999 said:
lol i loved that movie.

I loved that movie only because of how lame it was. Kind of like the old Street Fighter movie. Everyone just HAD to see it ((At the time)) because it was street fighter, but DAMN it was horrible.

Now the Super Mario Bros. TV series.....that was funny. I loved watching that as a kid, but sticking with the topic, Mario doesn't look good when he's detailed to the point of making a PS3 or 360 type. Nintendo is really the best ((and only)) way to show Mario off. Making him look like a real person...it just looks too goofy.

T3kNi9e said:
SMG graphics are nice, but its nothing more than clever coloring and shading.

When you look at something up close you can see how plain the colors are and how little detail there actually is in it. Its just from the view you play the game it looks a whole lot better. Kind of like when you look at something like...

warcraft2.png

Now obviously these graphics dont look good. But for its time (1995) it looks pretty nice with good coloring and stuff. But when you zoom into it, it becomes all pixelated

Like this

istockphoto_787979_pixelated_handprint_vector.jpg

Obviously though SMG isnt as bad as that because SMG graphics are more advanced. But thats the gist of it.

So I wouldnt call this a good game in a sense of entertainment. But also a great artistic piece. The developers really worked it well. But you wont see anything special in a game that looks more realistic (or atleast tries).

For example

reality-check_ftr_u-c.jpg

This game actually is one of the better looking Wii games but it doesn't measure up to other consoles, not even close. Wii of course probably can do better, but they wont be able to get ALOT better. Just moderately if you ask me.

s.jpg

Now that is great artwork too, but on a better machine able to dish out more color depth.

I think I may gone a little overboard though with my post.

So no matter how good the games get on the wii, no matter how hard they try, they can be dismissed as casualy as you just did with the best game out on the wii right now. So why even try than? Why even expect anything to look good on the wii; when each and every game on the wii can be de-analyzed and compared to games on the PS360 in this way?

The wii will allways stand in the shadow of the PS360, being invalidated by their superior processing power. It's too bad that the wii cannot stand on its own merits, but than it doesn't count in the face of such godly power.

Uh.. what? I never said that it could be dismissed. If you dismissed the beautiful artwork done on SMG then you are an idiot.

But in reality its no where near the PS3 and 360 because Wii cant produce nearly as much pixels. So when a game like SMG is released and it looks beautiful, its called genious artwork. I can gaurantee you wont get any better than SMG unless you're using cartoonish visuals. Thats why Nintendo games shine more because most of there games are cartoonish. Making there games look more realisitc will just make it look akward and visually inferior.

Btw, SMG isnt Wii's best game :p Thats a matter of opinion, I still think

RESIDENT EVIL 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you mean visually that is, then yes SMG is the best, but thats because its cartoon style. I want to see Nintendo make a more realistic looking game better than RE4. Metroid Prime comes close but thats also not really realistic looking since it uses alot of cartoonish aspects.

Cant find any screenshots of MP3 with a actual persons face or something so if you dont know what I mean I can't really help you.

QUOTE=T3kNi9e]Uh.. what? I never said that it could be dismissed. If you dismissed the beautiful artwork done on SMG then you are an idiot.

Fair enough!

But when you say, "SMG graphics are nice, but its nothing more than clever coloring and shading," it does give the impression that you have placed a higher value on processing power than art direction, and that's why I felt you were a tad dismissive of the game's visuals.

But in reality its no where near the PS3 and 360 because Wii cant produce nearly as much pixels

This we already know, and if anyone tries to deny this is just fooling themselves.

So when a game like SMG is released and it looks beautiful, its called genious artwork.

Agreed.

I can gaurantee you wont get any better than SMG unless you're using cartoonish visuals. Thats why Nintendo games shine more because most of there games are cartoonish. Making there games look more realisitc will just make it look akward and visually inferior.

I agree with you here.

Btw, SMG isnt Wii's best game :p Thats a matter of opinion, I still think

RESIDENT EVIL 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you mean visually that is, then yes SMG is the best, but thats because its cartoon style.

Yes. I mean't SMG cuz we were discussing the best LOOKING game on the wii. But why qualify its quality like this? Why does it matter how or why it looks good? It still does look good no matter what. Is it somehow LESS so because of the wii's lack of processing power, compared to the PS360?

It is a given that it can't stand up to a comparison to a PS360 game. I just don't understand the need to point this out all the time.

I want to see Nintendo make a more realistic looking game better than RE4. Metroid Prime comes close but thats also not really realistic looking since it uses alot of cartoonish aspects.

Maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea. Because you have already pointed out that the wii is not suited to producing realistic graphics. Can you just imagin how dated it would look THAN?

Cant find any screenshots of MP3 with a actual persons face or something so if you dont know what I mean I can't really help you.

I know exactly what you mean. I have the game. But why restate the obvious? Anyone with a set of working eyes will know instantly that the wii's technical or graphical abilities are vastly inferior to the PS360. But with clever and creative art direction, it can STILL produce beautifull looking games. (Just look at Okami for the PS2)

Last edited:
Yea, comparing the Wii to the PS3 is like comparing a llama to a piece of bacon. Sure, the bacon will have a pleasant salty taste and the llama won't, but then again bacon don't eat cactii.

Well actually not everything thinks that rom. Believe it or not ive seen ALOT of wii fans say Metroid Prime 3 is equal in graphics to Bioshock when thats just not the truth. Metroid Prime 3 looks great but to compare it to Bioshock is stupidity.

But I didn't see that in these forums, it was at Gamespot/Ign/Youtube that I saw those comments.

Oh and about Nintendo making more realistic game, I think/hope they can. Though its not suited for Metroid Prime.

I think Wii can do better than they have done when it comes to more realistic style games. For instance RE4, I was under the impression Wii is better than gamecube graphics. So im guessing they could do better than that. RE4 on Wii vs Gamecube personally looks exactly the same. Either capcom really didn't feel like upping the graphics, or Wii isnt much better than gamecube to make a difference without lowering the games framerate.

For instance No More Hereos, looks nice, but lets be serious, it looks just like a gamecube game. Why don't they put artwork to its test and make it look better. It makes me wonder if Wii really is better than gamecube or is it an exact replica with new controls.

Now even though graphics really dont mean all that much, its always nice to see it look better.

and the reason why I said it, is because people were saying Wii can dish out great visuals if they try. So like I said I think and Hope they can. But so far the only game to really look better is SMG imo. MP3 looks nice but it still looks almost exactly like MP and MP2.

on that note, anyone know gamecubes exact specs and Wii's? Im just curious to know it.

Seh Wtf ?

F.Y.I Galaxy has hella better than Brawl :)

T3kNi9e]Well actually not everything thinks that rom. Believe it or not ive seen ALOT of wii fans say Metroid Prime 3 is equal in graphics to Bioshock when thats just not the truth. Metroid Prime 3 looks great but to compare it to Bioshock is stupidity.

REALY!!?? :yikes: That is STUPIDITY at its finest!!:wtf:

But I didn't see that in these forums, it was at Gamespot/Ign/Youtube that I saw those comments.

Wow....

Oh and about Nintendo making more realistic game, I think/hope they can. Though its not suited for Metroid Prime.

You know, I hope so too, just to see how they would pull it off, if anyone can do it Nintendo can!

I think Wii can do better than they have done when it comes to more realistic style games. For instance RE4, I was under the impression Wii is better than gamecube graphics. So im guessing they could do better than that. RE4 on Wii vs Gamecube personally looks exactly the same. Either capcom really didn't feel like upping the graphics, or Wii isnt much better than gamecube to make a difference without lowering the games framerate.

I agree with you! You know what I think it is? It is the Devlopers! Ubisoft even admitted as much. They are all slacking off cuz of not takeing the wii seriously as a gaming machine! They NEVER took it seriously even back when before it was released!

For instance No More Hereos, looks nice, but lets be serious, it looks just like a gamecube game. Why don't they put artwork to its test and make it look better. It makes me wonder if Wii really is better than gamecube or is it an exact replica with new controls.

I understand, that feeling would be normal and expected! That's the problem. A games machine can only be preceived as good as the games made for it, and as it stands now, most wii games look like ****!

Now even though graphics really dont mean all that much, its always nice to see it look better.

Yes!

and the reason why I said it, is because people were saying Wii can dish out great visuals if they try. So like I said I think and Hope they can.

I hope so too, Mister! I'm realistic like you are. I'm very well aware that no wii game will ever compare to a PS360 game, but for Gods sake, do they have to look THIS bad? I think not!

But so far the only game to really look better is SMG imo. MP3 looks nice but it still looks almost exactly like MP and MP2.

on that note, anyone know gamecubes exact specs and Wii's? Im just curious to know it.[/QUOTE]

There was something about the wii's possible specs online. I'll look for it and post it here.

WOW, just WOW. Those were some great links. Game devs are so gay to the Wii.

I never even realized how good graphics were on Rogue Squadron II on GC. That just goes to show you whats possible with the Wii and how lazy game devs are. The guy was even disappointed in RE4 for Wii.

T3kNi9e said:
WOW, just WOW. Those were some great links. Game devs are so gay to the Wii.
T3kNi9e said:
Yup! Right there before you very eyes! I know your reaction would be: :yikes::wtf: Mine was: :mad5: :wtf: :yikes:

Here something I wrote in another thread about how developers see the wii:

(...)I notice that most game developers see the wii as a kids toy and thus make games aimed at kids that comprise little effort and story, while the other two gaming platforms are seen as real gaming machines aimed at adults and thus they get quality games for them.

Every wii owner should take this as a slap in the face cuz it shows an attitude twards us that is comtemptable> Every poorly made port and quickly cobbled together game is an insult to our intelligence and ability to appreciate good quality in games. I think this is so cuz the game makers see the wii as a toy, a toy parents buy thier kids, a toy that developers feel that they can toss movie games on and a few low guality minigames and parents will eat it up, after all, they are shopping for thier kids, they don't know much about gaming in general, they ain't gonna be able to destinguish tween a good games and crap.(..)

This negative image is now self perpetuating. People go to a game store, look at what is avalible on the wii; ports of games from older systems, party games, minni games and movie adaptations in brightly colored boxes and go, "gag" and turn away in disgust. I know I have reacted with disgust and disapointment when I look at what is mostly avialible for the wii, compared to whats on and is comming to the other systems.

AS a wii owner I want to be taken seriously, I want developers to think of me as a discriminating consumer of their products and make games of high quality for the wii. (..)

sourse: http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-gaming/42684-wii-danger-repeating-gamecube-page6.html

I never even realized how good graphics were on Rogue Squadron II on GC. That just goes to show you whats possible with the Wii and how lazy game devs are. The guy was even disappointed in RE4 for Wii.

Exactly, Mister! Exactly. What's available for the wii currently is in no way evidence of it's potenial power or lack thereof, but of the contempt of the gaming industry and developers as a whole towards it. I just hope Nintendo gets good and pissed off and DEMAND that quality games be made for their flagship product, after all their good name and image is on the line here, at least what's left of it....

T3kNi9e said:
I think the graphics of Wii is only slightly higher than Gamecube. All they did was change the coloring. On Metroid Prime they added some blur effects and redesigned some things.

The Wii has the potential to have graphics close to next gen, but without a shader like the ps3/360... it would take more work. When ps2 started out, the average game was terrible. For about 2 years, most games had graphics that were subpar. But some games had amazing graphics compared to the other games of there time.

Same principles apply for Wii. Just becuase the majority of early Wii games have slightly better graphics than the gamecube's latest titles, doesn't mean it will remain this way. Soon enough, most Wii games will have excellent graphics.

Nintendo's next console will have a solid graphical engine, as they wont cost as much to build as they do now. By this time, no person will be able to judge the Wii by graphics... or any other part of the console.

You seem to dislike the Wii. Do you feel you haven't gotten your money's worth?

Back