Game shop staff

I bought my Wii from Gamestation here in the UK for 2 reasons - 1. they were the only shop that had any (even though all the others were advertising them instock!) and 2 - they had the best deals and most knowledgable staff. The guy even told me that buying Wii points from your machine is cheaper than getting a card from thier store!

I have used GAME a lot previously because they have the biggest pre owned PS2 game section in my town - but thats about it for them.

i think its luck of the draw on your sales assisstant in these kinds of shops!

Es

M4573RM1ND said:
I disagree. My local gamestop I really like the guys that work there. One employee even HANDED ME a copy of Metroid Prime 3 when I had pre-ordered it, but no receipt and no ID. He did it when his manager was right there next to him and he could've been fired for it. He said "This game is so awesome, I just want EVERYONE to experience it." :lol: Gamestop is awesome. Its where I first played Guitar Hero.

The other day, when I went to go get Guitar Hero, I decided to pay off Battalion Wars II. I gave him 5 $10s, and he said I should put $45 down on BWii and $5 on Brawl. I told him I wouldn't have enough, and I'd come back next paycheck. So he ran my phone number, and it turns out I pre ordered phantom hourglass a while ago and allowed me to transfer the $5 onto brawl!!! :D
ok thats his job to sell you as much pre orders as he can. thats not something that is out of procedure he is supposed to try to get you to pre order it before you leave. also most gamestop people won't ask you for your id well me anyways because hell im there every freakin day. they know me by my name, and remember my info, but they still are dumb asses that don't know about the products they sell, most of them any way.

The gamestop employees by me are really cool people, and a really cute chic that works there and is super nice as well. They've tried to upsell me sometimes but they've stopped and generally when they do and realize i'm not at all interested they apologize and say "sorry man, i know you don't want it but i have to say it anyway and my manager is over there." which is completely understandable to me, since i worked in retail too, try to remember that retail is a sucky place to be, kind of hard to blame these people for being miserable sometimes.
The EB Games at the local mall though is a bit of a different story, nice people just idiots.

Kyle

that pic rocks man lol, yea regular retail sucks but i think most gamers will love to have that job, ill stock, take inventory, and listen to dumb parents and whiny kids. Its all comes with the job, but being able to talk to other people with the same interests as me, and to help them in there purchases is rewarding, and hell i get to be around games all day, and i get a discount so i would love to have that as a part time job.

Last edited:
The employees at my local Gamestop are alright, but my friend and I wanted to get a job there and we're 17 and you have to be at least 16 right? Cause on the application it asks if you are at least 16. So anyways we walk in and I buy New Super Mario Brothers. One of the employees and another guy who I think is the manager were behind the counter. There was also a mom at the counter with her son. Here's our conversation:

Me: Hey, you guys are hiring right?
Employee: *hesitates* Umm, how old are you?
Me: 17
Annoying mom: Ohh you have to be 18 right, cause I've been trying to get my son a job and you have to be 18 am I right?
Employee: *looks hesitantly at the manager* Umm...yeah, yeah, you have to be 18.
Me: Umm, okaay, thanks..
So we walk out. It was obvious that they were lying. Or do you really have to be 18? I read on the online application and there's a separate box to check if you're 16 and older and a separate on to check if you're 18 and older. Here's the link to the application and you can look at it yourself: http://careers.gamestop.com/Careers/content/documents/application.pdf
What do you guys think?

yungblood6 said:
that pic rocks man lol, yea regular retail sucks but i think most gamers will love to have that job, ill stock, take inventory, and listen to dumb parents and whiny kids. Its all comes with the job, but being able to talk to other people with the same interests as me, and to help them in there purchases is rewarding, and hell i get to be around games all day, and i get a discount so i would love to have that as a part time job.

haha thanks.

as a part time job yeah i think i would love it.
I used to love working on cars and talking about cars then i worked at a mechanics shop, 80-90 hours a week=i now hate cars. Seriously, i don't want to talk about them, i don't want to see them, i don't want to drive them. So maybe not as a fulltime gig but yeah i can imagine part time being fun.

wiiisawesome said:
The employees at my local Gamestop are alright, but my friend and I wanted to get a job there and we're 17 and you have to be at least 16 right? Cause on the application it asks if you are at least 16. So anyways we walk in and I buy New Super Mario Brothers. One of the employees and another guy who I think is the manager were behind the counter. There was also a mom at the counter with her son. Here's our conversation:

Me: Hey, you guys are hiring right?
Employee: *hesitates* Umm, how old are you?
Me: 17
Annoying mom: Ohh you have to be 18 right, cause I've been trying to get my son a job and you have to be 18 am I right?
Employee: *looks hesitantly at the manager* Umm...yeah, yeah, you have to be 18.
Me: Umm, okaay, thanks..
So we walk out. It was obvious that they were lying. Or do you really have to be 18? I read on the online application and there's a separate box to check if you're 16 and older and a separate on to check if you're 18 and older. Here's the link to the application and you can look at it yourself: http://careers.gamestop.com/Careers/content/documents/application.pdf
What do you guys think?

As far as i know it's up to the company. I'm not sure if its a federal or state thing but i know in most states at least, the minimum age for employment is 14. but from the age of 14-18 you can't work more than a certain number of hours per week, and can't work past a certain time of day, can't work so many hours without a break, can't work so many total hours in a day. Since there are a bunch of ristrictions a lot of companies only want people over 18, plus they see you as being more mature and responsible as well as some states you don't have a drivers license till you're 17 so you have a more dependable form of transportation to get to work.
I'm not sure what gamestop's policy is on the matter, i would call them or head in and ask then ask for an application. i'm just trying to help out in general. :)

hope that helps,
kyle

P.S.- just a helpful tip that i got when i was young, when you're applying for a job, always go in for the application/interview dress one step up from the people who work there. I.E.- game stop employees usually wear a t-shirt or something similar, well you don't want to walk in there wearing a 3 peice suit because you'll look ridiculous, but slacks and a polo shirt or a nice button down(tucked in) should do the job. It's worked for me, and like they say you only get one chance at making a good first impression. So suck it up, dress kind of nice and tuck in your shirt(this is of course assuming that you have a similar hatred for tucking your shirt in that i do. how i became an insurance agent i'll never know. haha)

Last edited:
I was in a duth electronic/computer/gadget store once. A family ( father, mother and daughter ) were thinking of buying a wii.

The employee was telling them all these wrong things. I was browsing trough some games behind them and listening. And I was like: No its that way, no thats not right, and you can do this with the wii.

I wanted to get involved so much and tell the family what was right and wrong :p And prove that stupid employee wrong.

Reading thos storys from gamestop employees: Man those guys suck! :p

cyberzomby said:
I was in a duth electronic/computer/gadget store once. A family ( father, mother and daughter ) were thinking of buying a wii.

The employee was telling them all these wrong things. I was browsing trough some games behind them and listening. And I was like: No its that way, no thats not right, and you can do this with the wii.

I wanted to get involved so much and tell the family what was right and wrong :p And prove that stupid employee wrong.

Reading thos storys from gamestop employees: Man those guys suck! :p

i forget too but sometimes you have to remember a lot of these people aren't gamers, it's just a paycheck to them every week, so they dont' know or care about the stuff the sell. Just like someone who works at barnes & noble might hate reading and drinking coffee. It's frustrating to deal with but sometimes you just have to say "hey, they don't know what they're talking about" and walk away. it used to bother me a lot, now i just laugh on the inside.

kyle

you know who else pisses me off Blockbuster employees, like how do you get to rent the movies for FREE a week before it comes out and then don't know about the movies. Like come on thats why they let you rent them for free a week ahead so you can tell the customers how the movies are or what you think is good.

The Gamerush part of blockbuster is a joke now too. they used to be real good at giving good trade credit and getting games on time, now for some strange reason they don't get the games till that friday or the next week after released, and then the employees have absolutely no clue about games period. I called and asked did they have a certain game for wii, the employee was like whats a wii, i hung up the phone.

smyth said:
i forget too but sometimes you have to remember a lot of these people aren't gamers, it's just a paycheck to them every week, so they dont' know or care about the stuff the sell. Just like someone who works at barnes & noble might hate reading and drinking coffee. It's frustrating to deal with but sometimes you just have to say "hey, they don't know what they're talking about" and walk away. it used to bother me a lot, now i just laugh on the inside.

kyle

But why cant they say: I'm not sure let me check the booklet or let me see if one of my fellow coworkers knows some more ?
Now when they sell it ( they said the wiimotes didnt need batteries but had an internal battery ) and the people install it at home they get all these things that are different. Now thats not good advertising

yeah the credits they give tend to be a joke. though for a while they were doing a promotion that if you traded in 2 wii games you coud get one new with with credit. which is a sick deal actually compared to what you usually get for trading games. not sure if they still do that though.

But like yungblood said, block buster takes the cake for being teh suck at everything they do.

cyberzomby said:
But why cant they say: I'm not sure let me check the booklet or let me see if one of my fellow coworkers knows some more ?
Now when they sell it ( they said the wiimotes didnt need batteries but had an internal battery ) and the people install it at home they get all these things that are different. Now thats not good advertising

the reason they don't look at the booklet or box or whatever is because that would involve work and if you hate your job i guess it's too much work to justify for them. I know what you're saying and i'm by no means condoning the action, just trying to explain why it happens. But again, just because there's a reason it happens doesn't mean it's right to do. I tend to ask if i dont' know the answer, unless it's something really not important that the customer doesn't care about anyway.

kyle

Last edited:
JerryC said:
Well he wasnt fully wrong there. You can't play all VC games with just the wii remote and gamecube controller.. need the classic controller too. Maybe he was clueless but his intentions were good at least.

edit: 6:44 PM here atm david and yeah the ebgames employees were I live are hardcore gamers and really nice >_>. Everytime i go there there either talking about how they pwned some noobs on Halo 3 or how they can't wait for this game etc.
when you go to buy the games if you look on the top left corner it will tell you what controllers you can use, i have checked almost all the games and if you cant use a wii mote then you can use the classic or a game cube controller., there are no games that require you to use just the classic controller so in other words he was wrong, and it would have been a waist of money.

Note: they do however say that the controls may not map favorably with a game cube controller.

yungblood6 said:
when you go to buy the games if you look on the top left corner it will tell you what controllers you can use, i have checked almost all the games and if you cant use a wii mote then you can use the classic or a game cube controller., there are no games that require you to use just the classic controller so in other words he was wrong, and it would have been a waist of money.

Note: they do however say that the controls may not map favorably with a game cube controller.

i've heard the same thing, some of the controls are not ideal with the game cube controller and would be better but i haven't seen a VC game that wouldn't let you use the GC controller, i haven't gone through all of them though. But also it not being ideal on the game cube controller makes sense since none of those games were designed for it, they weren't designed for the classic controller either though, if you want the ideal situation i guess you'd want to play them on the original system or get the adapter for the original controller to gamecube. they sell that on quite a few sites. but that would obviously be more expensive than a classic controller. They may end up coming out with a game that only uses the classic controller but i haven't seen one yet, and i'm really not interested in paying $20 for a controller to play a $5-$10 game. but that's just me.

kyle

P.S.- sorry for the horrid sentence structure but i'm at work and far too tired to care.

smyth said:
yeah the credits etc.....

I know. I can understand why ;) And I also understand that I cant expect them to know every single game or machine or gadget on the market.

I just find it odd that they just cant say I dont know. Well on the other hand that wont send out a good image for the shop. A shop filled with workers that say: Uuuh I dont know. haha

I gues the good shops found the balance between knowing and lying ;)

Back