Gun Ban Proposal

.. that is not what I'm saying. You don't need to be a Bruce Lee to know how to properly disarm someone, and you don't need to be highly trained in martial-arts either.

I am not implying that people should act like some kung-fu master and try and do a fair battle with a well-armed burglar. That would be very stupid. All I'm saying, is that if you have some knowledge in disarming & self defense, then it atleast gives you a better chance for survival when a break-in takes place (especially if you don't own a gun, or can't escape through an open window).

The most logical advice would be to attack from behind, or around a corner (and no, I don't mean jumping out from around a corner and screaming like a jackass). Like I said, you have much more knowledge of your house's interior than the common burglar. Hell, use a knife if necessary.

It's pretty sad that people out there believe they're hopeless without a gun..

You say it like the burglar has the right to a fair fight. Once they break in, like Celeste said, they lose all their rights.

Insert <gun> for <knife>...

But, if America is aware of this, then obviously people are going to rob (or rape, whatever) knowing that not many people carry around guns anyway. That's pretty stupid.

What if the person whose house is being broken into is physically disabled?

But, if America is aware of this, then obviously people are going to rob (or rape, whatever) knowing that not many people carry around guns anyway. That's pretty stupid.

Which is why we make it a law that every head owns a gun. :thumbsup:

Which is why we make it a law that every head owns a gun. :thumbsup:

But... not kids... because pedophiles with the intent on raping kids is different than people trying to rape women...

I don't understand your point. You're saying that there should be more guns?

You say it like the burglar has the right to a fair fight. Once they break in, like Celeste said, they lose all their rights.

.. Did you even read what I said? Hell, if you wanna kill the guy/woman then go ahead, I don't care. Obviously attacking from behind is not a fair action, but would you really take on someone with a gun head-on while unarmed or with a melee weapon? No, I don't think you would..

I personally would NOT like my mother to handle a gun, but that's because she's unstable sometimes. That said, if she's not here then the person in charge would be me, and oh my God, I am not handling a gun. I'm sure that the people who care about me would want to make sure that I get out safely, they wouldn't applaud me for going down swinging.

I'd just get out the house and let them take whatever they pleased, everything of value is extremely heavy or unable to find. I'm sure they'd look at our car and then think twice about stealing the keys to a Nissan Note too. It's fairly easy to track someone who choses to steal cars anyhow.

.. Did you even read what I said?
I was referring to the overall point of your post being about fighting an armed robber with a melee weapon.
would you really take on someone with a gun head-on while unarmed or with a melee weapon? No, I don't think you would..
Which is exactly why having a gun would be nice.
So if they're not home?
You don't have to be the owner of a gun to be able to shoot it. It's not like they have biometric locks on them.

I thought I was the shortest one here.

Anyway, I don't feel the need to protect myself with a gun being in the same situation as you. Nobody around here has a gun. I suppose the place is more controlled being an island though.
Yeah...we live under much different circumstances. When I lived back home in Auckland, I was allowed to walk to school by myself at 8. My mom felt comfortable taking a nap at home alone with the door unlocked and windows open. Liverpool's gotta be way closer to that lifestyle than Toronto's.

Right now, I live in a building with 24 hour security and carded entry. Still paranoid. I'm moving into a house next month. I'm going to slowly drive myself insane.

I was referring to the overall point of your post being about fighting an armed robber with a melee weapon.

My point was not about fighting fairly, but merely pointing out that there are other means of self-defense without the need for a gun. If I find it necessary to break the burglars neck or kill him (when the chance is available) .. then I will do it without hesitation. It's not a Jackie Chan movie where I show honor to some burglar and spare him, because he/she likely wouldn't spare me.

I suppose my opinion towards gun use has changed, somewhat.. but the use of guns for hunting animals/humans for merely sport, disgusts me to no end.

You don't have to be the owner of a gun to be able to shoot it. It's not like they have biometric locks on them.

You gave me the message that anyone who isn't the head of the house is incapable of using a gun. ;)

Back