I think my Wii is fried :(

jimbo said:
sorry for being a noob but a sugre is just like more electricity going though it or something... i never heard of it before :sick:

I think it is an American thing. I hope it is an American thing. I've never heard of a surge before. Can somebody clarify?

Spinty said:
I think it is an American thing. I hope it is an American thing. I've never heard of a surge before. Can somebody clarify?
Dude, it was already answered. Can't you even bother to read the posts after his before you spend the time asking the same (now already-answered) question?

idjut said:
awe... that sucks... i would call them. :yesnod:

you shouldn't tell them you suspect a surge because you really can't be sure... it could just cause you problems in getting help.

just say it quit working the other day, you ship it in and they may determine if it's a surge or maybe something else!

How old are you? Just curious...

jimbo said:
lol i dont...i dont get many power outages had 2 in the last 7 years and nothing major just off then back on
If you think voltage spikes just come from having lost power, you haven't been doing your homework.

There are 3 types of power "events":

1) Surge (voltage spike)
2) Brownout (voltage dip without total power loss)
3) Blackout (total loss of power)

Each can happen on its own, and #1 and #2 can happen frequently without being obvious to the user. All 3 can cause problems with electronics... some permanent. And you might never realize that it was a surge/brownout/etc that caused it.

sremick said:
Absolutely not. Find the real problem, don't make things worse by bypassing the required ground. Ironic, since noise/hum is often a sign of a faulty ground.

Sounds like you might be getting crosstalk within the surge suppressor. I'd suggest getting a better surge suppressor, preferably one that isolates the outlets into banks/groups to avoid interference.

Yep. The problem isn't the surge protector, speakers, or computer, it's the wiring in your house. Do you happen to have fader switches (e.g., switches that allow you to vary the amount of light a light puts out) on the same circuit?

My Wii and PS3 are in a surge protector. I also have a 360 that is in my brother's room that is in a surge protector, as well.

ChristmasWii said:
My Wii and PS3 are in a surge protector. I also have a 360 that is in my brother's room that is in a surge protector, as well.
In my profession, I come across countless people who think they're using a surge-suppressor but who are not. Make sure that it says "suppressor" somewhere on it... if it just says something like "temporary power tap", then it's just a "power strip" that isn't protecting you one bit.

Also, there's a world of difference between a $2.99 surge suppressor and a $79.99 one. Make sure you're using one that's a level of quality proportional to what you're protecting. The $5 surge suppressor belongs on your toaster, not your computer.

Back