I was WRONG about Redsteel

Transfixed

WiiChat Member
Oct 7, 2006
I admit it. I jumped to an early conclusion about Redsteel. About the gameplay, about the control, and about the graphics.
After playing about 45 minutes, I was embarrassed to have spent 50 bucks on it, I thought the graphics were about N64 quality, and that the controls were wretchedly unplayable.
WELL.......
It's just not true. I said I would come back and apologize for jumping the gun, so here I am. I am now thoroughly addicted to the damn game, and keep wanting to turn it back on and play until I beat it. SO THERE.
All the reviews that say the controls suck just haven't played it to the point of getting used to it. Once you do, it's fun, sweaty-palmed madness.

I think the problem stems from the fact that you have to keep your remote in a fairly small, tight 'box' while playing. If you move your arms or hands too much, and the pointer accidentally goes 'outside the box', your character may point wildly at the ceiling and/or spin uncontrollably. You basically have to keep your arms fairly still and keep things 'focused' well on the screen to keep control. Once this is mastered, things go pretty smoothly and game really does rock.

Also, the graphics, while starting out mystifyingly boring and bland, get inclreasingly more impressive as the game goes on, I was pretty stunned at some of the scenery and level design as I progressed.

I'm now about 8 hours into it, and would give it a Solid A-

I learned my 'judging too soon' lesson, OK?!?! Now everyone give this game a solid shot, cause it's worth it. :hand:

yeah i played it for 14% in the game but was too taken by twilight princess. looks cool but i just don't like the mad pointer, jumping for no reason

had thoughts about getting it but most of the reviews sucked so I didnt get it
I'll rent it and see how it is for myself...if I like it I'll probally get if for christmas

See, and you've decided to actually try out a game instead of ranting upon what OTHER people think about it. I am quite impressed.

That's great. I preordered a copy and was a little miffed at some of the reviews on it. Not that I trust other people's opinions when it comes to films and games (at least not reviewers persectives - they always have biases and never account for anyone else's tastes). I'm glad that more people are liking it though, as it kinda makes me think that it will be a good purchase.

GreyKirby said:
*goes to show your opinion to my brother who only buys things according to ratings*

But technically isn't this Transfixed opinion which is esentially a rating? And concidering he doesn't rate video games for a living... his opinion is less credible than a person that does this over 8 hours a day.

Im about 60% through now and the controls are finally becoming comfortable, but the game itself is still a little thin. It's just very repetitive and the AI is awful. I'm not saying that the game is not fun, just getting a little dull now. I think a good question to ask yourself is would the game still hold up if you were playing it with a standard game pad or Mouse/keyboard combo? I think if it were out for PC or any other platform with a conventional control set it would be a throwaway title getting little or no attention.

ABC said:
But technically isn't this Transfixed opinion which is esentially a rating? And concidering he doesn't rate video games for a living... his opinion is less credible than a person that does this over 8 hours a day.
Yeah, true. but he's a gamer, not a person that rates games for a living and stops appreciating them IMO. I take normal gamers' opinions to heart just as with reviewers.

MetroidZ said:
Yeah, true. but he's a gamer, not a person that rates games for a living and stops appreciating them IMO. I take normal gamers' opinions to heart just as with reviewers.
I agree. Reviewers have likes and dislikes too, and these will inevitably effect scores which unjustly effects sales. Some of the best and most helpful reviews are from other gamers (rather than reviewers), whom are into a particular genre. If you're a FPS fan, but a reviewer isn't, he isn't going to appreciate all the things that you do.

Take this for example: Zelda negative review

Squall7 said:
I agree. Reviewers have likes and dislikes too, and these will inevitably effect scores which unjustly effects sales. Some of the best and most helpful reviews are from other gamers (rather than reviewers), whom are into a particular genre. If you're a FPS fan, but a reviewer isn't, he isn't going to appreciate all the things that you do.

Take this for example: Zelda negative review

I think that more gamers pay attention to what professional reviewers say rather than some random gamer. But to each their own I guess.

ABC said:
I think that more gamers pay attention to what professional reviewers say rather than some random gamer. But to each their own I guess.
Yup. And you've just illustrated the origin of "hype".

Squall7 said:
Yup. And you've just illustrated the origin of "hype".

Dude, do you even know what you say half the time? Let's see... a man that comes across pretty much every video game released on every console.... or a gamer that is most likely bias towards one platform. I know who I will trust more... but you can listen to the lonely bias gamer and have fun buying **** games. Let me know how it works out for ya.

yea i bought red steel becuse of the 4 player gameplay it has to offer i can only see fun out of that, but on another note it really hasnt impressed me much, its ok to me just expected more out of it. But im going to continue playing it and see if my thoughts change

Back