L. A. N.

I don't see why not, I mean if you can connect wirelessly to the router and therefore to other people around the world then it stands to reason you can instead connect to the console next to you instead. Even if you cant then the "All connect to the router then join the same game" approach would work also with great ms/latency as you're right next to each other.

Internet should be free also, all you're doing is using a free web-browser Opera, which I'm using atm, and connecting through the internet which you already pay for really Nintendo are giving you nothing extra for this, you don't get charged of microsoft or Apple etc when you surf the net with their computer.

i don't think you pay for internet connection for the ps3 because you can use it as a computer and that would be dumb if you have to pay ur IP for internet access and have to pay sony just to browse on the web

ghghgh14702 said:
The idea is not the individual connecting to the internet, the whole connects to the internet from users with online and shares with everyone connected to that system. So you connect to other wii consoles not a satellite:lol: .
So, if this is true (and I don't believe for an instant that it is), what happens if you live more than 100ft from another Wii? that's about the space limit for low-powered recievers, and even that uses more power than they say the Wii will for WC24. The only way a system like that would be possible is through satelites.

...? WC24 will work the same way you connect to other pc's, you connect to the computer via the internet, the same way you connect to another Wii, via the internet. What's all this talk about Satellites and high/low powered receivers and transmitters?

If you are just simply connecting a PC to a PC, you do not need the internet to do so. You just set up a LAN connection to share between computers. Im assuming it will be the same with the Wii but wireless. It should have a way to connect to other Wii's in range wirelessly. Im hoping it will be something where you just scan for other Wii's in which is in range to connect to, then verify on both Wii's to connect them and have LAN going that way.

Apparently the PS3 is being manufactured at a pretty big financial loss some sources have cited. From a financial perspective, they could go either way on making the PS3 online service free or not- if they charge it could be a move to recouperate from a lack of sales... if they dont charge it could be to entice more people to go online/promote the PS3. Hell, my best mate probably wouldnt have bought his DS if i hadn't got mine. it's always nice to have somebody to play against without having to pay, so it would probably be in sony's best interest to make it a free service, although if they're going to be money-hungry about this (its sony go figure) they'll probably be charging top dollar for everything it has. The only reason the PSP has free wireless is because there is no established major international gaming community/server for it, as opposed to NintendoWiFi.

Taero said:
...? WC24 will work the same way you connect to other pc's, you connect to the computer via the internet, the same way you connect to another Wii, via the internet. What's all this talk about Satellites and high/low powered receivers and transmitters?
O, srry, re-read more carefully. For a while, there was a rumor that you could connect to WC24 without an internet connection, that your Wii would wirelessly link to all the other Wii's in the world and communicate. That was what I was refering to.

registerednerd said:
O, srry, re-read more carefully. For a while, there was a rumor that you could connect to WC24 without an internet connection, that your Wii would wirelessly link to all the other Wii's in the world and communicate. That was what I was refering to.

You have to be kidding me, THIS was a rumour? Some people actually truly beleived you could connect wirelessly to every other Wii in the world?!? Hell you can't connect to most routers outside of a range of 30ft. What about the interference for walls to say the least. To do that you'd need a satellite, as I see that's where that came from, but COME ON GUYS satellites orbit at between ~500km - ~38000 km. To get a signal up there you'd need a transmitter powered by a nuclear reactor or something :p They were expecting the Wii to wirelessley link up with a satellite? And what about when its orbit moves it to the other side of the planet.

Anyway connecting to other Wii's with WC24 would be pointless wouldnt it? The whole point is that you can download new updates, games, demos etc. and that would be impossible just connecting to Wii's

However connecting to other Wii's in the same room is perfectly possible, just like how DS's can link to each other all it takes is a bluetooth component, whether they do this is another matter though I most likely will be making use of the Internet.

Last edited:
Taero said:
You have to be kidding me, THIS was a rumour? Some people actually truly beleived you could connect wirelessly to every other Wii in the world?!? Hell you can't connect to most routers outside of a range of 30ft. What about the interference for walls to say the least. To do that you'd need a satellite, as I see that's where that came from, but COME ON GUYS satellites orbit at between ~500km - ~38000 km. To get a signal up there you'd need a transmitter powered by a nuclear reactor or something :p They were expecting the Wii to wirelessley link up with a satellite? And what about when its orbit moves it to the other side of the planet.

Anyway connecting to other Wii's with WC24 would be pointless wouldnt it? The whole point is that you can download new updates, games, demos etc. and that would be impossible just connecting to Wii's

However connecting to other Wii's in the same room is perfectly possible, just like how DS's can link to each other all it takes is a bluetooth component, whether they do this is another matter though I most likely will be making use of the Internet.
While I never believed the Wii-satilite-strategy, it may not be impossible.

What about those new broadband cards that are available through comapanies like Verizon, which allow you to get WiFi access almost anywhere, without the need of a hotspot. Some new laptops, I believe from IBM, are now being made with built-in broadband cards like these.

Of course, you have to pay something like $60/month to get that service, but couldn't that work for Wii, or am I missing something?

Just like Mr_Stoukaph -- I have LAN parties all the time & boy would it be awesome if we could LAN the Wii. Last LAN we played mostly WarCraft 3, FEAR, UT2004, and Smash Bros on GameCube.

Everyone of my LAN buddies is excited for the Wii, so it we would be hooking up a few for sure.

NateTheGreat -
Speaking of wireless communication around the world with out a satellite as mentioned by the rumour, it is possible as someone 100 years ago (approx give or take 5yrs) tried to send power wirelessly around the world. And that was before radar, microwaves and satellites were invented. Radio was already in use with the military and government services at that time. His 'experiment' actually worked but it was and is still too far ahead of its time to implement it nowdays. He also realised the powerful implications that it would bring so he abandoned and destroyed it.
What you mentioned about wireless communication is an impossibility is true with current communication devices that we use nowdays.

Thats a totally different story, slightly irrelevant to the forum topic. About the Wii wireless connection - I think its a great idea and I am sure that it would be using BlueTooth / IR connections. I can imagine playing SSBB with anyone around the world. Sure there's chess/checkers that you can play online but it doesn't beat the fun of having friends around and duking the game in multiplayer mode lol! :D

Unless you know that you are battling against them wirelessly via Wii 2 Wii connections.

Back