Photography Thread

Heh...parents just gave me their old camera stuffs.

Problem is the camera has been stolen, so I've received a padded bag, some lens cleaning fluid, a Ricoh camera manual and an old school Haminex flash.

With regards to the Nikon/Canon thing, it's pretty much just which one your more comfortable using now. Their so similar and both such high standard cameras (entry level such as Canon 400/450D and something like a Nikon D40) that you can't go wrong with either. It's just which ones you'd prefer using I reckon.

Man I can't wait to get driving so I can get around to take some pictures.

Nub question here
Alright, how hard is to grasp using a DSLR compared to a regular point and shoot? I been thinking long and hard (hehe) about gettin one, but i dont wanna get it and be like "****, now i need lessons on how to use the ****er".

No idea about a DSLR, but an SLR is pretty simple to use; you just have to get used to adjusting your exposure and focus.
I assume a DSLR would be the same, just with the added digital interface and features.

I'm thinking about getting me one, maybe with graduation money...
It couldn't hurt to make a little money from photography on the side. xD

Thanks Rob, I mainly want one cuz i think it will help my graphics out big time. i could shoot watever i want instead of gettin google images and asking people to use theres. plus i wouldnt mind a few nice shots hanging in my house.

Thanks Rob, I mainly want one cuz i think it will help my graphics out big time. i could shoot watever i want instead of gettin google images and asking people to use theres. plus i wouldnt mind a few nice shots hanging in my house.

Just keep in mind that a dSLR doesnt make you a good photographer! It just allows you to get better shots in less light, and gives you better depth-of-field.

Definately consider one, and as said, to really get 'pro photos' you will have to drop big money on expensive lenses. (To give you even better low light performance, more depth of field, and better sharpness/colour).

I think anyone with a bit of knowledge can work out an SLR, and in the meantime there is the full Auto mode until you feel comfortable trying the Manual stuff.

Example of low-light performance...this was taken in restaurant with dull flourescent lights:
3287131329_0ceb4d3b84_b.jpg

Last edited:
and in the meantime there is the full Auto mode until you feel comfortable trying the Manual stuff.

Nice, thanks man! Thats what i wanted to know. I have no problem taking the time to learn how to focus and what not, but I just dont want to start completely in the dark. Thanks again. Might be investing in one come summer time.

Yeah, it's easy enough to pick up a DSLR and take pictures straight away. And there's plenty of stuff online that will help you improve your skills so you wont have to spend too much money on it either. There's tons of forums you can go on with loads of tutorials/hints/tips guides etc that will help you so you can gradually improve your shots and step away from the auto setting.

I usually buy a photography magazine every couple of weeks too, really cheap and you can pick up a heap of new tips to try out that will last you a good while and always really usefull.

Awesome, thanks Rach!
I will probably have a lot more question in the future for you guys xD

Ok, so I have a new project due Monday and I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions for themes. I have to produce 20 images that convey envy, I have ideas, but I was wondering if anyone had something I didn't think of yet.

Actually tried really hard to think of ideas for that Blue when you first posted, but couldn't think of anything =/
Did you get any luck?

Okay I've got another Christening booked and as usual I kinda stress and worry about my equipment. My first worry is my flash, I'm not really happy with my current flash gun, it's some third party flash and not VERY big, I can post the specs if needed, but worth getting a Canon Flash?

Another things studio equipment.
Is it worth me investing in portable studio equipment?
I've had lots of requests for family portraits over the last few months and I do enjoy studio shoots, so worth me getting this. Parents are often keen on studio shots of their kids on the day of Christening. Any ideas on which ones I should get? Been looking at the kits on ebay and through my magazines.

Uhm, there's probably more, but these are my main concerns.

I had to change my topic, couldn't come up with anything either.

New project is 10 images to be converted to B&W, trying to figure out what I want to do with that.

Back