Quick global question about colleges..

mushroomedmario

ssb4life
May 5, 2007
Waterloo, ontario, canada
Wii Online Code
5701-4561-7633-7008
alright, i live in one of the smartest cities in the world, and we have two universities and like 3 colleges, anyways it's kinda looked down upon if you go to college, to the extent where you don't even want to tell people that....

and i'm not even sure if im' going to college or not lol

so is it looked down upon anywhere else? is it a global thing....? or is my town just messed?

you almost have to go to college in the US. If you don't ur chances of getting a job you want are very slim. I'm going to college, i'm trying to apply this weekend, i'll inform you guys if i get into any!

He lives in Canada. A University degree is something that IS superior to a College degree.
Of course, seeing which is right for you depends on what you are getting into.
Where are you thinking of going?
You going to the University Fair this weekend?

Going to College in the UK is a normal part of life for most students who want to continue into further education. Without passing your College exams, you simply do not have a chance to enter a top University.
So yeah, going to College is a choice, especially since there is an option to not go into further education after you have finished your final school years.

Prez said:
He lives in Canada. A University degree is something that IS superior to a College degree.
Of course, seeing which is right for you depends on what you are getting into.
Where are you thinking of going?
You going to the University Fair this weekend?
nope that'll be next year, im' in grade 12 and i'd probably have to back for a 5th year if i want to get into university(i took university courses to keep my windows open, bt my grades aren't high enough) and even so i'm pretty sure i'll go to one of the universities in my town....

Well the courses over here (UK) are different.

You do your GCSE's when your 16 in year 11 then you can leave school to go out to work after that or you can stay on and take A Levels for another two years.

Usually people can either stay on at their school to do these (which is the 6th form) or they can go to college to do them. A lot of schools don't have the option to stay on to 6th form so people wanting to do A Levels have no choice sometimes but to go to college.

So it's a pretty normal thing for us really.. well, in my area anyway as we've got such a good college with so many options, there's loads of different qualifications and courses to be done at mine so there's a big mix of people there. A couple of my friends parents go there as part time students even my sister joined this year, she's doing night classes in accounts and she's 29.

In Western Australia after high school their is basically the choice between University, TAFE and employment. We don't have "Colleges" as such. Their are a variety of Universities though, with some having a very prestigious reputation compared to others. For example the University of Western Australia is considered a far "better" university then Edith Cowen University. It takes a much higher Tertiary Entrance Score to get into a place at the UWA compared to ECU. I'll be going to UWA next year :)

I go to the same college as my mum and aunty.

The reasons why I chose college rather than the sixth form route was to just get away from the people, but that's my thing. I'm not regreting it for one second, the people are much better and you get treated like adults, you get to know your teachers more personally and I'm right in the middle of the city for all my... shopping needs. Security is much better also.

if you havent picked out a colledge then the university of western ontario is the way to go

ugh i have to type TWO essays for Ohio State University. One on how my family's history/upbringing, whatever has influenced me, and one on describing a friend. Suck...

In my understanding, going to college in the UK is a lot different than going to college in the US. College in the UK is simply the name given to an organisation that teaches courses, mainly including A-Levels, whereas college in the US is more like going to university here in England, but not like the Oxfords and Cambridges, more like Edge Hill.

I don't actually know if that is right but that is what I am led to believe.

Back