Redsteel: Biggest Letdown So Far

Transfixed

WiiChat Member
Oct 7, 2006
Yes, I waited all night on the sidewalk for my Wii, I was excited as $@!& to play Zelda and Redsteel. The latest screenshots had convinced me at last that this was the (other) launch game for me.
I played it. I TRIED to enjoy it but......
THE CONTROLS *SUCK*.
Really. Let's be honest. The controlling is terrible. I CONSTANTLY had my character pointing at the ceiling and spinning around in circles for no apparent reason. Turning to shoot is difficult at best, the aiming is gruelingly hard and generally unpleasant.
Did I mention the control sucks? Oh I did? Cause it REALLY REALLY sucks.
My only thoughts were: Didn't they test this dang thing?!?
I dont know what the playtesters were thinkning, or maybe it was just rushed to market for launch, but....The endless frustration of the aiming system, and the sporadic aiming at the ceiling while the remote was pointing DOWNWARD, was enough to make me wanna demand my money back.
Seriously guys, I wanted to like it. I wanted to love it, especially for my 50 bucks.
But, just wait for Metroid or something, and just stay away when you see it in the store. Also, encourage others not to buy it to show off to their friends or family, as it is a POOR EXAMPLE of what we know the Wii is capable of.

*ALSO* --despite the awesome screens prior to release, it looks like a friggin N64 game for the most part. Lame textures, poor graphical structuring all around.
I'm so disappointed, but fortunately have Zelda: TP to pass the time instead.

-Transfixed

I'll preface by saying I love the Wii. Worth every penny. The Mii system is off the chart goofy goodness, the whole menu and channel system is brilliant, the potential is amazing for...but I have to agree somewhat with the post above. The controlling is unbelievable difficult even after over an hour of play. It's like trying to put together a ship in a bottle with a pair of boxing gloves on. I'm going to tough it out though, I'm hoping at some point it will "click" for me and suddenly start to become easier. Through the first sword play section too and that's a bit of a dissapointment. The sword play feels very guided, less free form and more "here's three or four things you can do with the sword...stray from those things and it just seems kind of like you can't accomplish anything.
Disappointing yes...however, $50 for Red Steel and $50 for Zelda...Zelda would have been worth the whole $100. It's not just the best zelda game...so far it's putting the rest of the zelda games to shame.

I hope you realize that if you take a little time, like 30 seconds to press the menu button go to Options and REDUCE the movement sensitivity, the default is medium, you can set it to a LOT slower, and faster setting.

If you have well, oh well.. I got used to it...:thumbsup:

I love the game and the graphics look great for me, then again I pay more attention to the enemy rather then graphics :hand:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you have no skill. ITS A REMOTE, OF COURSE THE CONTROLS ARE ARKWARD. If you dont like it, use a regular controller instead of crying about your lack of hand-eye coordination.

^ what he said!
give it a chance, you will grow to love it like you should lol

After reading MANY reviews... I made the decision NOT to get Red Steel... even after I was anticipating it for months. I could understand ONE bad review from a bias gaming site or magazine... but it got bad reviews across the charts. All these guys that play and rate video games for a living can't be wrong. I will pick it up used for $25 in a couple weeks and give it a go though.

i love red steel, i sweat, i swear, i swing my katana!!! it's intense...just takes practice. oh yeah...adjust your sensitivity then practice. once you get it, it ROCKS!!!

wiiCrazy said:
i love red steel, i sweat, i swear, i swing my katana!!! it's intense...just takes practice. oh yeah...adjust your sensitivity then practice. once you get it, it ROCKS!!!

I completely agree

A little patience, and practice... and you'll get the controls down pat. I'm nearly three hours into the game, and still learning new moves and making my current moves better. Think of it this way, checkpoints in the game make it a sinch to go in like a mad man to your death, and restart and go in properly and snipe people before they snipe you. It your choice, but with patience I can almost guarantee you'll appreciate RedSteel... no regrets here.

It takes a bit to learn the controls. I currently have a good handle on it and am doing well in multiplayer. There's nothing flawed about these controls. You just have to learn them

MetroidZ said:
you just REALLY REALLY suck at red steel. i haven't heard any of these problems
Um where have you been? This is definately not the first time this has been said.

I'm still getting Red Steel. If the controls are truly as bad as you say... I don't know what I'll do. But I'm getting it.

Played red steel 2 hours
* first 10 min i was a bit disapointed
> 10 Having a blast
its a real big learning curve but its worth it the only thing i don't like is when turning i cant get the hang of that besides that its pretty cool!

Hmm....

tuned said:
A little patience, and practice... and you'll get the controls down pat. I'm nearly three hours into the game, and still learning new moves and making my current moves better. Think of it this way, checkpoints in the game make it a sinch to go in like a mad man to your death, and restart and go in properly and snipe people before they snipe you. It your choice, but with patience I can almost guarantee you'll appreciate RedSteel... no regrets here.

Well, I've never been blasted so hard by people for stating what I see as the obvious, but since YOU were respectful, I'll answer to you.
I will continue to play Redsteel. Hopefully the controls get a LOT more responsive and natural seeming. I have been a hardcore gamer for almost 20 years now, have played many MANY games, most of them on a Nintendo system, and think that I have a pretty good basis for knowing when a control-scheme simply Blows.
If you're right, and it gets more "appreciatable", then I'll come back here and apologize for jumping the gun on this game. I really really hope that's what happens, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.

To all you other cheesy N-fanboys who just want to tell me I suck: you're wrong. I'm one of the best gamers I know, and that's saying a lot. If you can't see that this game could have been better, then you simply have your heads stuck in the Nintendo-sand.

p.s. Zelda frickin ROCKS. :cornut:

Me and my roomate are owning hard with the aiming in Red Steel. I don't even want to go back to aiming with analog. It took me maybe like 20 minutes to get use to it. Very similar to playing fps on pc.

Loving red steel so far, 50% completed at the moment.

Maybe you just have shitty coordination? Or you sit way too close to the tv.

Back