SMG unplayable on modded Wii's. "Stealth" chips detected.

Skippy

WiiChat Member
Dec 28, 2006
Reports are coming in that an update on the Super Mario Galaxy disc can detect mod chips and will refuse to play. Even if a work-around is found, you can bet this is just the beginning of Nintendo's efforts to render modded Wiis useless. Hope it was worth it. Have fun.

Haha, now thats a good idea. Rendering Nintendo's most anticipated title un-playable by a modded wii, that'll make you think twice before modding.

That's pretty crazy. If this is true this might be the best attempt I have seen to stop modding. Very good idea by Nintendo. Could be horrible news for some modders.

nic7 said:
That's pretty crazy. If this is true this might be the best attempt I have seen to stop modding. Very good idea by Nintendo. Could be horrible news for some modders.
I agree. its a damn good idea!

Unfortunately Nintendo is simply delaying the inevitable.

Most of the Wii modchips that I have briefly reviewed offer some form of flash upgradeability, therefore it will only be a matter of time before the developers of these chips (and those who see a market potential) manage to figure out a work-around to Galaxy's anti-piracy embedded software.

It seems however Nintendo is adopting the continual effort to constantly modify it's technology to at least reduce and complicate the piracy process, much like the DVD market has been utilizing for years now. With that said it's probably only a matter of time before we have AnyDVD-like software developers who make a market of breaking the embedded copy protection on such media. Who knows what the future holds is all I can say.

Clearly this is an obvious win for Nintendo, but this is only one battle. The war wages on as it always has for years now, until one day someone finally comes up with a protection scheme that too far advanced for the would-be pirates to be able to crack.

In the meantime I hope any current and potential would-be game pirate realizes the potential risks they are about to embrace, as you being participating in an up-hill battle that could cost more than it would to simply buy the titles in the first place. Regular hardware replacement could by far exceed the costs of what looks like a "free game library" by investing in such a chip. So please keep this in mind. :)

the lengths people will go through just so they don't have to pay for their stuff like everyone else...

lol, good idea Nintendo. Assholes who steal games deserve this. the only people who should have modded Wiis are the ones who pay the equivelent to $100.00 for a game (forget what country that is) cause thats just rediculous!

i say that this is fantastic! GO NINTENDO!!!

I've always had the mentality that if u want something u have to work for it. I own over 300 dvds and a shitload of nintendo games and they are all legit copies.

People that "steal" any kind of media - whether it be games, music or films, only hurt us honest people more because the companies that make and produce these things still need to make a profit and if they are losing money then the prices all go up on us.

I surely hope Mario Galaxy does have this blocker. And if someone does find a way around it then whatever, Nintendo will just create another one for Brawl and another one for the next big game to come out, and so on and so forth. It'll piss the pirates off more than anything - i'm pretty sure nintendo are smart enough to know they cant stop it completely. I am in total support of them.

zurukea said:
Then they probley wont have a problem. they will probley mod the rom data before they burn. Thoughts?

It will still take a while until people have hacked the rom enough to be able to find out how to disable the protection.

Also remember, no modchip is currently able to play homebrew software, so modded roms may not work either.

Anyone stupid enough to try to play legit software on a machine capable of playing burned discs deserves their Wii bricked. But then again, I highly doubt anyone with that little intelligence would know how to install a mod chip in the first place.

EDIT: You don't do anything to the game with a mod chip. All it does is bypass ROM data inside the Wii.

Last edited:
Back