some questions and speculations about wii

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
question

1) i have heard from people on this forums that wii is capable of hd graphics. is it really true?

speculation

the reason that nintendo doesnt have hard drive, headset because they werent expecting the wii to be a huge success. they were taken aback by wiis popularity and now are rushing to make these things. but there is another problem. what should they do first? make more wiis to tackle the groeing deman or make the hard drive and headsets? (thats what i think)

i dunno what they should do first but i think thats partly the case and also i think they are holding out on even announcing a headset so that third parties dont go out and steal their buck. i think nintendo will announce voice support and headsets/hard drives within a short time of them actually being for sale.

vashivihan said:
question

1) i have heard from people on this forums that wii is capable of hd graphics. is it really true?

speculation

the reason that nintendo doesnt have hard drive, headset because they werent expecting the wii to be a huge success. they were taken aback by wiis popularity and now are rushing to make these things. but there is another problem. what should they do first? make more wiis to tackle the groeing deman or make the hard drive and headsets? (thats what i think)
nope, but you can get component cables wich will make the colors brighter and better looking. but its not going to be in HD.

the reason they didnt make things like a hard drive is because they wanted the wii to be cheap so it appealed to non-gamers.

as for the headset, theres many speculations as to why they havent put one out yet. most just say nintendo doesnt want to put little kids at risk.

Wii does support HD. But it only supports 420p which is still HD.

and yes, I dont think they left out hard drive cuz they underestimated their own console. They just wanted to keep it cheap and I think the thing about not putting kids at risk is true.

vashivihan said:
question

speculation

Your speculation is entirely wrong. The wii was aimed at a mass market, rather than only gamers. It was predicted to be huge, and it has lived up to the expectations.

FRuMMaGe said:
Your speculation is entirely wrong. The wii was aimed at a mass market, rather than only gamers. It was predicted to be huge, and it has lived up to the expectations.

umm i think not. just look at my point. gamecube was a failure. ps2 and xbox owned it. the next system from sony and microsoft had better graphics, online and better everything. while nintendo wii had last gen graphics and limited online. nintendo prolly thought that the motion control would be a nice gimmick to appeal to gamers and it would be a fad but u can see that they were wrong.

vashivihan said:
umm i think not. just look at my point. gamecube was a failure. ps2 and xbox owned it. the next system from sony and microsoft had better graphics, online and better everything. while nintendo wii had last gen graphics and limited online. nintendo prolly thought that the motion control would be a nice gimmick to appeal to gamers and it would be a fad but u can see that they were wrong.
You are not basing this on any facts whatsoever.

If you had seen any of the press releases before the Wii was released, you would know that Nintendo and most of the critics believed the Wii would be the dominant force

FRuMMaGe said:
You are not basing this on any facts whatsoever.

If you had seen any of the press releases before the Wii was released, you would know that Nintendo and most of the critics believed the Wii would be the dominant force

yeah i know. my perspective was from a companys point of view that has been doing bad

Agreed with FruMMaGe. Nintendo knew what it was doing and are still doing it. They're not targeting just gamers but all kind of people, including kids, adults and older adults instead of just the "gamer" market. They did that with new controls, more casual games and cheap price.

T3kNi9e said:
Agreed with FruMMaGe. Nintendo knew what it was doing and are still doing it. They're not targeting just gamers but all kind of people, including kids, adults and older adults instead of just the "gamer" market. They did that with new controls, more casual games and cheap price.

since when did u become a nintendo "appreciator"?

T3kNi9e said:
Wii does support HD. But it only supports 420p which is still HD.

and yes, I dont think they left out hard drive cuz they underestimated their own console. They just wanted to keep it cheap and I think the thing about not putting kids at risk is true.

Two problems with your answer:

1) It's not 420p, it's 480p and...

2) 480p is NOT high-definition. 480p translates to 720i. Only 720p or higher is considered high-def. 480p is just progressively scanned and will produce no better than a top quality, standard-definition picture. Component video cables will produce a better looking picture on your tv because it a purer, less-filtered signal than composite (yellow video cable) or S-video.

So the correct answer is no, the Wii does not support HD.

Last edited:
Ohhh o_O but 480p is still only on LCD's and plasmas. Which is HDTV's, which is what I was really meaning.

vash, whoever said I was? So far im not very appreciative of Nintendo because aside from releasing good games themselves, they havent been getting good 3rd party games, which I mostly blame them for.

But who really cares? Atleast I actually base what I say on facts instead of talking random crap.

TStacey30 said:
480p is just progressively scanned and will produce no better than a top quality, standard-definition picture.

SDTV (Standard Definition) is 480i. 480p is EDTV (Enhanced Definition). As far as i'm aware, the difference in quality between SDTV and EDTV is supposed to be more noticeable than the difference between EDTV and HDTV.

Anyway the answer is the same, no the Wii is not capable of doing HD graphics, only 'ED graphics'.

T3kNi9e said:
they havent been getting good 3rd party games, which I mostly blame them for.
Atleast I actually base what I say on facts instead of talking random crap.

how it there fault and weres your proof?

Back