The toughs of the "teenager"

BigORhyme said:
I am right with you in spirit!
I'm just a big kid after all... :lol:

I am the kind of person who would stay in code his own screen saver, your house is safe from my wrath tonight.

Cpt.McCloud said:
I never went or plan on going to high school.

There may be a slight language/cultural barrier? High school in the states is a generalized name for the last few years of standard [not college] education. Mine was 10-12th grade.

It's usually something like:

1st - 5th Elementary School
6th - 9th Middle School
10th - 12th High School

It's sort of an artificial construct, mainly to load balance the facilities and to attempt to isolate maturity levels.

(Apologies in advance if that's a rehash)

Cpt.McCloud said:
Ok then, lets compare someone who had education of the top quality to someone who had none what so ever. I wonder what the difference is.

I agree, but the poster did say high school - while being a complete slacker will probably prevent you from entering Harvard as a Freshman, *some* level of effort covers you for a pretty wide rang of decent-to-good schools.

A formal education has a good number of perks. I'd say my wife has also had an amazing professional career, and she's a CMU grad.

For reference, both myself and one of my previous biz partners had so-so high school/college performance, but both of us have done exceptionally well professionally.

I would say if I were hedging my bets, more [formal] education is likely better than less!

Yes, cultural barrier appearance was meant.

I am doing education currently and plan on further education, just involving the states:lol:

LevesqueIsKing said:
I'm not really in the mood for that, but otherwise I would go off on a rant about how that makes no sense. Age=Driving experience? I'll just leave it at that.

...and that is all you have to say.

You need to talk to the NCIPC, the CDC and the IIHS - their research studies would suggest otherwise.

A small result from a 2006 IIHS study [underlined emphasis added by me]:

The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16- to 19-year-olds than among any other age group. In fact, per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are four times more likely than older drivers to crash (IIHS 2006).

^Thats because we just got our license, and partly because we are at a certain age. However, my point was that I personally think that a person should get their permit EARLIER and FOR LONGER, that way they have more experience when the get on the road.

15 - Get permit
16 - Get license

thanks for the great read guys i read up to page three but its really getting late so i thought i would skip 1 and come back 2moz... what you guys said is brilliant most of it is dead on the truth... ill make a more informed post when i wake up or somthing cya then

I have no idea where the conversation is right now (As I've only read the first few posts and this page) - so I'm gonna jump in on the whole driving thing...

I would be scared at the thought of a 15 year old behind the wheel of a car on a public road...
The best system is:
At 17 you can apply for a provisional licence - and then get your full licence when you can pass all the various tests.

Personally I'd like to see it so that you can't drive alone until you are 18 - but if I was 17 my opinion on that would probably be different on that.

There is a reason younger drivers pay a premium on their car insurance.

I don't understand why sex doesn't get the same approach as cars. (age-wise, not doing it with your parents-wise. :ciappa:)

I haven't done anything in my 3 years of driving yet.

BrandonMcAuslan said:
I have no idea where the conversation is right now (As I've only read the first few posts and this page) - so I'm gonna jump in on the whole driving thing...

I would be scared at the thought of a 15 year old behind the wheel of a car on a public road...
The best system is:
At 17 you can apply for a provisional licence - and then get your full licence when you can pass all the various tests.

Personally I'd like to see it so that you can't drive alone until you are 18 - but if I was 17 my opinion on that would probably be different on that.

There is a reason younger drivers pay a premium on their car insurance.
I honestly don't see the logic in this. Of course maturity place a role in just about everything, but experience overrules maturity. Kids are learning tons of things at a young age, why not driving?

Kids are always going to drive crazy when they get their license, thats inevitable. However, I consider myself to be quite mature, yet I never got out of that 'just got my license' stage until I realized that I'm not invincible behind the wheel. It took a near-accident (caused by experience, not maturity) for me to realize how important driving is.

When you are behind the wheel of a car moving at 60mph you are not just responsible for yourself - you are responsible for any passengers in that car, as well as any other drivers/passengers/pedestrians in the vicinity of your vehicle.

It may well be the case that there are a number of 15 year olds out there who are mature enough to handle the challenges/responsibility of driving - but the majority of 15 year olds I believe are not.

Maturity and experience go hand in hand. One thing is that when you are older your hormones aren't making you behave as erratically as when you are a 15 year old. And having responsibilities in your life makes your overall behaviour different.

The idea of allowing 15 year old to drive is just nuts. And as for maturity levels - although I can admit some 15yo's might be able to handle driving - there is no standard test that says if you are a mature/immature person. Therefore you either need to let all 15 year olds drive or none. Why take the risk?

Wow, I'm going to steal that and insert "sex". Good points.

I don't care what the age gets changed to now that I'm legal.

lol at brawny - I didn't see the innuendo there until you pointed that out.
Safe sex and Better driving skills in one lecture.
Brandon FTW!
:D

Back