There will be no PS4

sony will fail if blue ray does. every gamer needs to buy 30 game for the ps3 before sony needs to make a profit. 30 games... thats a TON!!!!! well if they make blue ray the standard for the next hd movie format, it will be worth loosing 300$ a console. Sony needs blue ray. It is a major gamble and if it doesent pan out its all over, for their game division at least. Blue ray is Odysis and the ps3 is the trojan horse and sony are the greeks. its last ditch effort to get blue ray into the homes of everyone that buys the ps3. to win a format war as big as vhs vs betamax Is huge for sony (they are avoding taxs in japan) and everyone knows people buy more movies then games, so if sony had royalties on every home movie bought a few years down the road (when all tv is hd) they will be back as strong as ever. Sony could win the console war, but still loose the hd dvd war, and if they do they still loose. I think they need both to pull themselves out of debt.

thegreatleon said:
Hey, remember when Sega was the 2nd biggest console? Never say never.

But then there were only two major consoles makers back in the old days and the others like PC-engine and Neo-Geo never make it to other continents if you knew what they were.....

Anyway, Sony is a big company that can weather the storms, they won't just give away the emperor they built up in the gaming sector so easily. however, PS3 is rather disappointing apart from its graphics power. Xbox 360is even hopeless, can't find a good title.

However, i'm thinking Nintendo still have a lot of secrets under their hat, they may just release an upgrade version of Wii that support HD with more powerful graphics... to put them on par with PS3 and Xbox and trump them with the good gameplay exp.... :smilewinkgrin:

C'mon guys! Sony isn't "going under" anytime soon.
A.) The Playstation will probably slowly get fixed, as the way the PS1, and PS2 did, until it is a good solid console. Just buyin 1 at launch is f###n stoopid!

B.)even if, and i mean IF, Playstation went out of business, sony has PLENTY of other resources to keep it afloat for quite awhile (10-20yr~?~) such as:

TV's
Media Players
Computers (Vaio anyone?)
Sony pictures : (aka Spiderman, etc....etc...)
ETC>>>>>>.......

So-my guess is even if the PS3 belly flops BAD sony has enough to float it just fine, AND even develop a totally different game system if they so chose.

and comparing it to SEGA? like apples to oranges bro.

I say there's a possibility since they sell other electronics too, whereas Nintendo is more or so a gaming company. But on the other hand, they will try to milk fans for as long as possible. I say that even though I'm getting a ps3 (when the price is lower)

For Sony to get back up on their economical horse, people have to turn away from every other competing electronic item and look at Sony's, which has been on a steep decline nowadays, due to the height of price. People can't afford the $1,000, even if they ARE over 20. Most people have much more serious things to spend 1k on, like their house and what it needs.

The PS3 is taking a hit from people who just can't afford it....And if Blu-Ray is high priced, it's gonna fail, bad.

That article was so crap! Full of speculation. What people need to understand is this simple fact:

Yes the Playstation 3 is expensive, and it may put some people of it, but at the end of the day, they are still selling the units and still selling out.

im guessing sony is going to "try" to get 7-8 years out of the ps3, while microsoft is already working on the next xbox, and nintendo well...well...well.....what else can they do.

As long as the PS3 is the price it is, they will only sell units to the absolute hardest core gamer. At my age I have had every system on the market. But the PS3 to me is just way over priced and there is no way in hell I can justify a video game at that price! Even if they had smokin smokin games I still would not fork out that much cash for them. Hell for the price of the PS3 you could damn near buy a dozen or so Wii and XBOx 360 games and accessories. Based on the past most companies dont drop systems prices for at least a year or two later after they have been on the market. So this mean I wont be getting one until maybe 2008/2009. By then who will care honestly? It's just not looking good for ole Sony.

Maybe not a PS4, but I think they'll come out with something else. They're not just gonna end now. 'cause, lets face it, the Playstation 2 is probably the most popular console to date (not a fact so don't quote me on it :)) and I know that when they buck their ideas up with the price of the Playstation 3, and reduce it, me and many others who have agreed with me, are gonna get 'em, because though they don't produce any games themselves that are worth remembering, some of their 3rd party game creators are fantastic, such as with the Metal Gear Solid series, Final Fantasy series (not my personal favourite) and much more, and a lot of people I knew got the PS2 out of popularity anyway, so if the PS3 became popular, I'm sure they'll get it, (until they play on my future Wii ;)) but to sum it up, I think that not making a PS4 is a good idea, but not making another console at all is a bad idea, I think they may just change the name, so that they can have a change in consoles themselves, I mean, they've used the same style control for all their consoles, whereas you have Nintendo, who have changed from Gamecube to Wii, not basing it on graphics, but making sure they concentrate on the controller and gameplay, whereas Playstation have been solely concentrating on having bigger memory and stuff, just to improve the graphics, so I think in the 4th generation, they may change their name, change their image, and have a fresh start with a new name, and new prospects for their later on console (though it probably won't be til like 2010 til it is even designed :))

Back