US too strict?

Ronan

WiiChat Member
Aug 5, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Well I find it unusual that there is different age limits on things in scotland than in us:

eg us cant drink till their 21, we can (legally) at 18
we can marry/have sex/smoke at 16

most things seem to be 2 years younger here, what do you think about that?

No, USA is just smarter. Why let some crazy 18 year old out of the streets, when in the USA they wait 3 more years and are more mature. To me USA rules are better for the best of us!

One thing confuses me about our British system though... you can poison yourself to death with tobacco when you're 16, but you're not old enough to drink? :crazy:

Napalmbrain said:
One thing confuses me about our British system though... you can poison yourself to death with tobacco when you're 16, but you're not old enough to drink? :crazy:

No, you took my shorts!

Napalmbrain said:

I think this is the same in Australia. Legally, you are allowed to smoke when you're 16, but you still have to be 18 to buy them. That's how it is for Australia-land anyway. Not sure if Britain is exactly the same.

Napalmbrain said:

Yeah i know its stupid.

Also Flip, we can buy them here at 16, i dont see the point in being able to smoke fags but not buy them.

also icetrash, i think 18 is the correct age, as most people (here anyway) are drinking anyway by then

Last edited:
Ronan said:
Also Flip, we can buy them here at 16, i dont see the point in being able to smoke fags but not buy them.

I don't see the point either, but hey, I didn't write the laws.

leagle drinking age in canada is 19 and driving is 16 and sex is 14...lol..smoking well its pretty much 13...and the cops don't do nothing...so yeah

Demon Slayer said:
leagle drinking age in canada is 19 and driving is 16 and sex is 14...lol..smoking well its pretty much 13...and the cops don't do nothing...so yeah

WHAT?! So you can be a father/mother but cant drink at 14!Thats crazy :crazy:

Why is drinking displayed as so bad?

Ronan said:
Well I find it unusual that there is different age limits on things in scotland than in us:

eg us cant drink till their 21, we can (legally) at 18
we can marry/have sex/smoke at 16

most things seem to be 2 years younger here, what do you think about that?
Yeah, I live in the US and I dont' think it's got it's laws quite straight.

You can drive a car at 16, smoke at 18, and you can join the military and kill people at 18 as well!!?? Yet, you can't take a drink til your 21? Makes very little sense. Makes about as much sense as sigs and alcohol being legal, but outlawing marijuana.:incazzato:

Icetrash said:
No, USA is just smarter. Why let some crazy 18 year old out of the streets, when in the USA they wait 3 more years and are more mature. To me USA rules are better for the best of us!

Drinking is against the law untill a older age for a reason. It's not that it's a "bad" thing, but it's better scientifically to not drink untill you're older. Your brain membrane isn't fully done growing untill you become 21. If your brain membrane isn't strong enough, you can actually choke from getting drunk. (The aclohol goes through your membrane, and down your brain stem, causing you to choke.) It is just more safe at 21, because you are able to withstand alot more alcohol.

Back