What religion are you?

I do like religion in one way. It gives people "strength" and hope during times. Asking God to look over a sick relative provides comfort and thinking "If God didn't think I could handle this, he wouldn't put me through it." This is how my mom goes about her life, and I think it's okay and a good thing. This is all religion should do, nothing else than teach about a spiritual guide called God. Not force ideas and false claims down your throat because "that's what God feels".

Not force ideas and false claims down your throat because "that's what God feels".

It's sad that there are those who go about it the wrong way. I don't have a problem with those wanting to get the word out, but the persistence of some who fail to take no as an answer when spreading the faith is ridiculous.

A problem I've noticed, is that a lot of people who read the Bible take everything that's written in it literally. Rather than looking at some of the stories as a way to look inside yourself and better yourself as a Christian or whatever else.

It's sad that there are those who go about it the wrong way. I don't have a problem with those wanting to get the word out, but the persistence of some who fail to take no as an answer when spreading the faith is ridiculous.

Yeah, I also find it the wrong way. To be overbearing in "getting the word out" only defeats the purpose. It's important to spread faith, but one will rarely succeed if there isn't a facility of respect to the free will of others to choose what to believe, even when they outright deny Christianity (that very will that these Christians are supposed believe was given by God Himself).

A problem I've noticed, is that a lot of people who read the Bible take everything that's written in it literally. Rather than looking at some of the stories as a way to look inside yourself and better yourself as a Christian or whatever else.

Yeah, that is how I tend to view the Bible (and probably how it ought to be viewed). People who make completely literal interpretations can make me shake my head sometimes. It reminds me of when a Christian family had a sick daughter and the parents refused any medicine because they believed "God could heal her". She ended up dying from her illness as a result. It's these very misdirections caused by taking the most grand, miraculous stories of the Bible too absolutely and thus losing touch with the more practical, basic sensibilities of the world. Shouldn't it have ever entered these Christians' minds that herbs were also placed on this earth to treat illness? Access to such a thing in itself should have been considered a blessing to them, especially if they supposedly worship a being who created the those herbs.

Last edited:
GOD said:
Peter 3:15 (New International Version)

15But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.

But there's way too many touchy-feely Christians who haven't even read the Bible. :/

Religion can be a nice thing for people, it gives them direction and a sense of safety. I never went to church as a rule but went on occasion and stopped altogether when I moved. Now I don't know where I stand, currently I really don't believe in anything and I feel like I'm in the wrong for doing so but its hard to believe in something like this sometimes.

The thing with some things like the bible for instance, its been translated so many times, who knows if the real meaning is there? 500 years ago monks would translate the bible by hand and would get lazy doing so and they would skip parts to finish in time. Then the printing press was developed and works were translated in latin which many people back then could not read, so again things were made up or parts were skipped etc.

Its just all so very weird and confusing is all.

but if your basis is on christianity, which clearly states that faith without works is dead, and works alone cannot get you into heaven.

The Bible is written by humans, and is open to interpretation by anyone. That's my interpretation: it's most likely different to yours. I suppose the thought of people like Mother Teresa going to Hell is just a bit silly really.

Mother Theresa was Catholic, sweetie, hence the motherness...

Gandhi on the other hand, probably rotting there right now.

What about Mormons, Eastern Orthodoxy, Methodists, Lutherans, Baptists, Quakers, Jehovah's Witnesses, or any of the other zillions of denominations of Christianity?

of that list i would say only mormons and JW's would be excluded from 'christianity' their core beliefs are way too different. As for mother theresa. do we know what was in her heart? what she believed? for all we know it could have been a big ruse. but the bible speaks of knowiing believers by their fruit. she sure did show fruit.

Maybe if going by a secular defintion of Christianity, then perhaps.

From a religious one, which is the one we'd be using to decide who God hates, they wouldn't be.

I had it explained to me this way. Upon reflection, it's really not that useful, but who knows.

There's a bucket, it has rocks, pebbles, and sand in it to fill it up. The bucket is your religion. The rocks are the meat of it, that's like calling yourself Christian or Muslim or Atheist. The pebbles are still important, but not as much. This is like denomination in a church. Not enough to look different to outsiders, but enough to form factions. Then the little particles are individual churches. Taste in music and how long the sermon should be and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Maybe if going by a secular defintion of Christianity, then perhaps.

From a religious one, which is the one we'd be using to decide who God hates, they wouldn't be.
I thought God loved everyone? You know, "hate the sin, not the sinner" and all that?

Ah well, I always prefer secular definitions anyway.

I thought God loved everyone? You know, "hate the sin, not the sinner" and all that?

Ah well, I always prefer secular definitions anyway.

He does. But as he is perfectly merciful, he is also perfectly just. His nature requires justice, and he can't just pretend that a sin isn't there. Hence the dying on the cross and soforth.

You love your kids, but you still punish them to teach them lessons.

Back