What religion are you?

no, faith is believing in what cannot be proven. theism and atheism are both believed upon faith. even faith can be brought toward knowledge. every time you sit down on a chair, you have faith that it will support you. if you open a fresh bottle of milk, you have faith that it will not be sour. faith does not only represent supernatural belief or knowledge.

That seems REALLY foolish to me.

I do not have faith that the chair will not collapse. I have the knowledge that I'm not a fat ass, and I have the knowledge of the past 10000s of times I sat on it and it did not break. Historical, empirical, measurable, tangible evidence.

And even the first time I sat on it, it was a test to make sure it functioned as the chair that the chair is claiming to be. =\

rukus said:
no, faith is believing in what cannot be proven.

Strong belief in something, without logical proof.. that deep down, some wish/hope to be true.

theism and atheism are both believed upon faith. even faith can be brought toward knowledge. every time you sit down on a chair, you have faith that it will support you. if you open a fresh bottle of milk, you have faith that it will not be sour. faith does not only represent supernatural belief or knowledge.

You're serious? ..

I have knowledge that if I sit down on a weakened chair, that it will likely break if I'm too heavy and thus not support me. I would not blindly believe that a chair would support me, simply because I have faith that it will (no matter what).

Last edited:
Wow i shouldn't of even posted this.

I agree with rukus. Faith can't be proven, but is something that can't be proven necessarily untrue? In this sense "knowledge" of God or gods can be claimed, but it's "knowledge" that's different from that of anyone else... because God can be as real as the air we breathe to some people.

The evidence for Jesus' existence doesn't prove that he had any supernatural ability, so one can reasonably argue that this guy wasn't extraordinary at all.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
You cannot say that you know that atheism is right. Choosing atheism is not a choice based upon knowledge but rather lack of knowledge supporting theism(even though the Bible is a historical document, atheists just choose not to believe it).

All theories saying how the universe started are just that, theories. Science has not proven anything about how we got here.

I hate hearing the word Theory thrown around like scientists have done no tests to validate the theory.

GRAVITY is a freaking theory, but I don't see nearly as many people throw the idea of gravity out the window as those who disbelieve evolution because it's a "theory".

"Theory: A theory is more like a scientific law than a hypothesis. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. One scientist cannot create a theory; he can only create a hypothesis.

In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology."

Strong belief in something, without logical proof.. that deep down, some wish/hope to be true.
once again no. faith is what some believe to be true, without having definitive proof. atheism and theism both fall under this category.

I would not blindly believe that a chair would support me, simply because I have faith that it will (no matter what).

you seem to be unable to connect the two.

I hate hearing the word Theory thrown around like scientists have done no tests to validate the theory.

GRAVITY is a freaking theory, but I don't see nearly as many people throw the idea of gravity out the window as those who disbelieve evolution because it's a "theory".

"Theory: A theory is more like a scientific law than a hypothesis. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. One scientist cannot create a theory; he can only create a hypothesis.

In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology."
Gravity isn't a theory, it's a fact. We've known that for thousands of years, since no one or no object has ever been observed spontaneously floating off the Earth's surface. The theoretical bit is how gravity actually works, which most scientists believe is explained by the general theory of relativity.

rukus said:
once again no. faith is what some believe to be true, without having definitive proof. atheism and theism both fall under this category.
I can see your point, but it could also be argued that atheism should be the "default" position, and that it's theism that needs to prove itself, since theism is the position that is making a claim.

Gravity isn't a theory, it's a fact. We've known that for thousands of years, since no one or no object has ever been observed spontaneously floating off the Earth's surface. The theoretical bit is how gravity actually works, which most scientists believe is explained by the general theory of relativity.

I can see your point, but it could also be argued that atheism should be the "default" position, and that it's theism that needs to prove itself, since theism is the position that is making a claim.

Now that makes a lot more sense then what the other atheists are trying to argue.

I just don't like it how people are stating atheism as a proven fact. Both are based on faith: Atheists have faith that all the people who wrote the Bible were lying and that they won't go to hell as a result of themselves being wrong.

The evidence for Jesus' existence doesn't prove that he had any supernatural ability, so one can reasonably argue that this guy wasn't extraordinary at all.

The Gospels claim otherwise, and the Gospels can technically be classed as evidence. Scholars agree with a bare minimum that around 30 AD there existed a Jewish teacher in Judea who preached moral codes and was executed by the local Roman Govenor. How much more of the Biblical Jesus they agree with is entirely down to beliefs.

I just don't like it how people are stating atheism as a proven fact. Both are based on faith: Atheists have faith that all the people who wrote the Bible were lying and that they won't go to hell as a result of themselves being wrong.

It's my personal belief that atheists who do good will go to Heaven, and bad theists will go to Hell.

Oh, a debate regarding science versus religion. Scientists shouldn't hate relgion, and vice versa. They're both ultimately the same, at least in conquest: they both have the ultimate goal of finding out truth. It's like two warring countries: both want peace, but it is the method of getting to peace that is going to prevail.

It's my personal belief that atheists who do good will go to Heaven, and bad theists will go to Hell.
but if your basis is on christianity, which clearly states that faith without works is dead, and works alone cannot get you into heaven.

You don't believe Luke 4:4?

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. - Luke 4:4

Gikoku Harakami i really liked the point you made with the zit, i agree with it completely. i am an atheist as some know already, and i chose not to believe in religion because of the facts stacked up against it showing thats not true, although there will probably never be enough proof to show that its completely fabricated i still can't believe that it is because to me there isn't enough proof showing any religion is real.

that sounded a little redundant sorry.

Back