What TV is best?

Rift

WiiChat Member
Oct 25, 2006
Wii Online Code
7509-5934-6367-2803
I've been looking around and I can't seem to find prices anywhere that suggest what TV might be better than another. a 20" sony TV really worth more than a 30" insignia? anyway, perhaps someone could help me what get's me the biggest bang for the buck concerning a new TV to enjoy my new Wii gaming experience...

I heard that the Wii graphics look pretty bad on a HDTV with the default composite cable, so you might wanna get a 25" to 35" non-HD TV.

im stuck on this matter aswell. I as planinng on trying to get it working with my monitor but ive decided to buy a new TV. Do component cables only work with HD-TVs? Whats all this 480p business. Im not a wizz when it comes to monitors/t.vs. I just want to know what will get be the best picture at a reasonable price.

i take it these " component cables" are the best cables about, are they better than the s-video cables? also do component cables ONLY work with HDTV's? The chances of me being able to afford an HDTV are as slim as TP being the worst game of the year lol

hey

I quote what I have said here in another thread... :)

yosh64 said:
It's just that I think LCD displays may have bad quality when they are not set at their native resolution(s), as I think they just emulate other resolutions or something? so maybe this is the case? Maybe things would look better on LCD displays with Component cables, and set at 480p? but I dunno.

Anyhows, I think if I was ever to get a new television... I'd look for a CRT based display that supports HD resolutions ^_^.

@epikon: I'm quite sure that using Component cables, with the display set at 480p will result in a better picture than using S-Video, as S-Video doesn't support 480p. I think S-Video just carries a higher bandwidth 480i signal? Well the video signal is seperated into brightness and color, so I think this would give it a greater range of both brightness and color? Generally speaking, Component cables offer the ability to display in higher resolutions, and in progressive scan, and I think the color would also be better, as the video signal is split into each Red/Green/Blue base colors.

BTW, I just learnt this from S-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

cyas

Last edited:
oh ok thanks. so i take it that ANY t.v hd or non hd will work if it has a componant port?

hey

@epikon: Well actually, Component cables provide the ability to display ED/HD video. So I think you would only find support for them on EDTV's/HDTV's, and not SDTV's. So yes, I think it would work on any television with support for Component cables.

To make it clear...

SDTV (Standard Definition) offers resolutions of 480i and 576i.
EDTV (Enhanced Definition) offers additional resolutions of 480p and 576p.
HDTV (High Definition) offers additional resolutions of 720p and 1080i/1080p.

BTW, the "i" stands for Interlaced, and the "p" stands for Progressive Scan. Ohh, and the numbers stand for the vertical resolution.

cyas

Last edited:
yosh64 said:
hey

So I think you would only find support for them on EDTV's/HDTV's, and not SDTV's. So yes, I think it would work on any television with support for Component cables.

thanks for the answer but i didnt really answer the part ive quoted. you said they would only find support with ED/HDTV's but they would work with any TV. I take it that i could use one in a SDTV but it wouldnt benefit the picture?

hey

Well I don't think there would be any Component cable ports on a SDTV, thus it wouldn't have "support for Component cables". So in other words... yes, I think it would work on any television with Component cable ports. BTW, do not get mixed up with the Composite ports, as both Composite and Component cables use RCA connections ;).

cya

Last edited:
thanks for your help I understand now. Dont really watch T.V much but i want a good picture for my wii so i will probaly get an EDTV as i cannot afford an HDTV.

still doesn't help with what TV to buy, I'd like something widescreen in the 30-40 inch range, but I just can't seem to figure out what the better deal is I don't want a cheap break in 6 months TV but I don't want to pay too much just for the sony name ya know?

luckily my room is small so i can easily play on a 21inch widescreen. wouldnt personally get plasma, lcd hdtvs are the future

Back