whats the big deal with mario galaxy?

Hybrid said:
my grandma has no idea who any of those guys are
and sonic is more well known than pacman but mario your probably right
but how do u know about how many games were sold
??

No, Pacman and Mario are way more popular. Ever heard of Pacman fever, back in the 80s when everyone was crazy for Pacman merchandise? I don't remember Sonic ever getting that big.

Most non gamer people will tell you they've played Nintendo games rather than Sega games. The Sega systems were more of a thing only the hardcore got.
I'm not saying Sonic isn't popular because he really is, it's just he never was ever as popular as Pacman or Mario.

I'm guessing you were born in the late 90s, maybe that's why you've never heard of Pacman fever.

Last edited:
Well Pacman is not so popular now, so maybe that's what he meant, the now and the Today Mario is the most recognized mascot followed by Sonic...Microsoft and Sony supposedly had mascots, HAD, lol sony's was Crash Bandicoot but he failed, then I guess was Jak and Daxter but they silently dissapeared from the gaming world(thank God) and then there's Ratchet and Clank...and for Microsoft it was Blinx the cat but no one liked the game so he died too. Mario on the other hand, will always be alive as we ,the fanatics, play, love, and appreciate his games, as well as Sonic's.

Axtlar said:
Well Pacman is not so popular now, so maybe that's what he meant, the now and the Today Mario is the most recognized mascot followed by Sonic...Microsoft and Sony supposedly had mascots, HAD, lol sony's was Crash Bandicoot but he failed, then I guess was Jak and Daxter but they silently dissapeared from the world(thank God) and then there's Ratchet and Clank...and for Microsoft it was Blinx the cat but no one liked the game so he died too. Mario on the other hand, will always be alive as we the fanatics love and appreciate his games, as well as Sonic's

No, to this date there will be so much more non gamers that will say they know Pacman than non gamers saying they know Sonic, and of course it's a guaranteed gamers have heard of both.

It hasn't changed, you guys are probably just too young to realise it.

Last edited:
How old are you, sir? in my opinion overall Sonic's popularity is bigger because it has come to grow since Sonic games keep coming out and all non-gamers and gamers alike now know him, and since there's no more Pac-Man games, all the fanatics of its time and all the non-gamers also know him but it's just less quantity than those growing masses that know of Sonic

Axtlar said:
How old are you, sir? in my opinion overall Sonic's popularity is bigger because it has come to grow since Sonic games keep coming out and all non-gamers and gamers alike now know him, and since there's no more Pac-Man games, all the fanatics of its time and all the non-gamers also know him but it's just less quantity than those growing masses that know of Sonic

New Sonic games may be coming out, but that doesn't mean automatically more people know Sonic than Pacman.

That's like saying more people know about Kim Chung il rather than Adam and Eve because right now he's the center of the topic for a lot of people.

En4Neo is right, as far as gaming icons go, Pacman and Mario were the top 2. Sonic didn't even exists while these games were ruling supreme. The names Mario and Pacman were engraved in everyones heads by the time Sega came out...hell even the name Zelda was known before Sonic.

As for the people who said Mario Sunshine sucked...well thats your opion and that opinion is outweighed by the amount of people that loved the game. Just because Mario had Fludd for a backpack some of you say it sucked...thats not a good enough reason, the game has great grapichs, music and gameplay.

En4Neo said:
New Sonic games may be coming out, but that doesn't mean automatically more people know Sonic than Pacman.

That's like saying more people know about Kim Chung il rather than Adam and Eve because right now he's the center of the topic for a lot of people.

As time passes people tend to forget about icons they used to love and hear about if those icons aren't mentioned again...and there are ignorant people in the world who wouldn't know of Adam and Eve since they lived a very long time ago, but would know of Kin Chung for being a celebrity(or whatever that person is) and hearing more and more about him/her as opposed to Adam and Eve.

People don't tend to forget icons as easy as you think..thats why they are called icons. The majority of the people I talk to know who pac-man or Mario is, famous rappers rap about these characters, these characters also are portrayed in famous tv shows like MadTV....like I said icons big as these are rarely forgotten

Yes yes I know that, I was just explaining how I think that Pac-man may be the least popular of the three mentioned, I never said no one knows about him

Back