Who Will Win? And Why?

Dang, Lethal, you bring up a lot of great points that are hard to debate. The Wii remote, however, is like a mouse, and those aren't necesarily laggy. We definately need to wait and see before we judge. The wii wasn't mainly focused on online play. The Xbox is mainly focused on online play, the PS3 in graphix, and the Wii in interactivity, fun, and offline multiplayer.

Lethal said:
That is exactly why Nintendo will not win this war! Companies already said its a pain in the a$$ to make good use of the wiimote. Then to implement that online and try to actually kill people online using the wiimote which already sucks offline in FPS games. I dont see it happening.

Developers complain about the PS3, your point? Companies had to make good use of the DS and look at it now! These days, the amount of money it takes to make games on the 360 and the PS3 is ridiculous. It almost stifles IPs because developers decide it's better to just pump out sequels than make new, original games. The Wii aims at cheaper development costs. Getting used to developing on the Wiimote shouldn't be a monumental task and really I have seen few complain about the Wii.

As of now, people may think FPS controls suck. But I guarantee you that it will improve (Metroid Prime 3 perhaps?). As for online, I think these days people are getting too obsessed with it. :/ All I seem to hear is "Online this" and "Online that". What the **** happened to playing long and fulfilling single players? It's like every ****ing game has to have online or else it's a heap of crap and I object to that. People have said that they wouldn't buy Metroid Prime 3 if it doesn't have online and I think it's freakin' retarded. Online is great to have but it isn't the sole factor of gaming.

:incazzato:

Really, I'm annoyed with your irrational pessimissm concerning the Wii. Not giving it a damn chance. :mad:

RedProdigy said:
Developers complain about the PS3, your point? Companies had to make good use of the DS and look at it now! These days, the amount of money it takes to make games on the 360 and the PS3 is ridiculous. It almost stifles IPs because developers decide it's better to just pump out sequels than make new, original games. The Wii aims at cheaper development costs. Getting used to developing on the Wiimote shouldn't be a monumental task and really I have seen few complain about the Wii.

As of now, people may think FPS controls suck. But I guarantee you that it will improve (Metroid Prime 3 perhaps?). As for online, I think these days people are getting too obsessed with it. :/ All I seem to hear is "Online this" and "Online that". What the **** happened to playing long and fulfilling single players? It's like every ****ing game has to have online or else it's a heap of crap and I object to that. People have said that they wouldn't buy Metroid Prime 3 if it doesn't have online and I think it's freakin' retarded. Online is great to have but it isn't the sole factor of gaming.

:incazzato:

Really, I'm annoyed with your irrational pessimissm concerning the Wii. Not giving it a damn chance. :mad:
people dont want preachers, people want they want, and thats online play

I don't care about online which is why it seems that people are overly obsessed with it. But people do want preachers or else churches would cease to exist. :thumbsup:

blogman54 said:
1 Wii
2 360 even though it still breaks
3 PS3 way over priced
even though it still breaks
3-5% failure rate at launch
all is fixed except for problems all 3 consoles still recieve

Facts sir, facts.

3-5%??? Please tell me these aren't the %s Microsoft put out... the fact is that the BBC is investigating Microsoft and their customer service for this very reason.

I have to go with Link's approach on this:

Japan: Japan loves Nintendo and quirky games
1 Wii
2 PS3
3 360

Europe/others
1 Wii
2 PS3- this is a toss up...let's see how Europe reacts to the emulations
3 360

N. America- toss up... depends on non-gamer demo.
1 Wii
2 360
3 PS3

If the Wii keeps attracting the non-gamer demographic I don't think it can be stopped. But if it doesn't, the Wii will drop down to second in Japan and third everywhere else.

Once DS/Wii connectivity gets going, we should see some interesting stuff. Oh and need I mention colors...

Rahnter said:
3-5%??? Please tell me these aren't the %s Microsoft put out... the fact is that the BBC is investigating Microsoft and their customer service for this very reason.

I have to go with Link's approach on this:

Japan: Japan loves Nintendo and quirky games
1 Wii
2 PS3
3 360

Europe/others
1 Wii
2 PS3- this is a toss up...let's see how Europe reacts to the emulations
3 360

N. America- toss up... depends on non-gamer demo.
1 Wii
2 360
3 PS3

If the Wii keeps attracting the non-gamer demographic I don't think it can be stopped. But if it doesn't, the Wii will drop down to second in Japan and third everywhere else.

Once DS/Wii connectivity gets going, we should see some interesting stuff. Oh and need I mention colors...
Your right, my bad.
That was not at launch, the launch systems were around 30% (analysts believe)
but after those intial rushed units it came down to 3-5%

RedProdigy said:

Oh cry me a river man. I gave Nintendo a chance with 2 systems now and I am still dissapointed. And I am just saying why its going to lose the war. After all, that is what this thread is all about. Now you can read this and cry some more or you can accept my reason as a logical one. Because as of right now, its not lookin too good for the Wii.....

Lethal, what are you doing on a Wii Fan Site?

You say the Wii isn't next gen because it can't play movies or tivo or any of that crap? I guess my TV is Next-Gen, and my dvd-player too! wow!!

TiredOfSex said:

You say the Wii isn't next gen because it can't play movies or tivo or any of that crap? I guess my TV is Next-Gen, and my dvd-player too! wow!!

Notice the online code?! He has every right to be here, although it seems he has become my nemesis.

As far as controller lag goes, I don't think that it is anywhere near as bad as Lethal makes it seem. Look at Motorstorm... it uses the tilt functionality online. But I can't attest to it being a non issue either. We'll just have to wait and see.

Nintendo realizes the popularity of online gaming, especially its increasing popularity in Japan with the DS. Maybe that's why they are limiting 3rd party access, maybe not. Either way, we are not going to hear anything until the gag order is dropped. But I really doubt Nintendo would launch online with game hindering lag.

*yawn*

My gut feel says:

Wii
PS3

But I think there are a lot of factors to take into account. Support for games is everything, if anyone of Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo fail to get licenses for lots of games then they will fail, no matter how good the technology or funky the gameplay.

People ruling out the PS3 are not really looking at the big picture. If the PS3 stays around for 4-5 years then it is easily believable that it will outstrip the 360. The US has strong sales of the MS consoles, but both the Xbox and the 360 have struggled in Japan. The Wii will probably finish top, but it's a long long road. The first big test will come at christmas when (for the first time) all three consoles will go head to head worldwide.

TiredOfSex said:

Ummm.....Ok? Is your TV 1080i or up? Is your DVD player HD-DVD or better? No? Then your comment is pointless.

And where does it say Wii fanboy site? There is more than Wii talk here.... I own a Wii. I like the Wii. But I am smart enough to realize that there is no way it will win the war.

Last edited:
Who cares about if the graphics are the best? Its all about if its playable I still like to play NES games because they were fun I didn't care about graphics Most people have a DVD player in their house so who needs their Wii to play a DVD and also who is gonna win the war between HD DVD and BLU RAY only time will tell

Back