Why Atheism?

What was the process in which you guys became atheist? I mean most atheists have gone through some process in their lives that have led them to believe that there is "no God", such as a family trauma, thought about all the "evil" in this world with a "Good God", etc.

Not really, as an Athiest with mostly Athiest friends, the reason most of us don't believei n god if simply because there is not reason to. There is as much evidence for the existence of big foot as there is for the existence of god. But then again,. at least they have video tapes of big foot...

Point being, we dont' become athiests out of spite, we become athiests because it's the logical conclusion.

What was the process in which you guys became atheist? I mean most atheists have gone through some process in their lives that have led them to believe that there is "no God", such as a family trauma, thought about all the "evil" in this world with a "Good God", etc.
Contrary to popular belief, tragic events are not the usual "cause" of atheism. Many people (like myself) arrive at atheism through reasoning and scepticism.

Contrary to popular belief, tragic events are not the usual "cause" of atheism. Many people (like myself) arrive at atheism through reasoning and scepticism.

Well yeah, I was just giving an example of one thing out of many that constitute to the reasoning behind one becoming an atheist. That one example doesn't constitute to "most" by itself, but rather a list of many things and that is a rather common one.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

So what then, is the purpose of life for atheists? If there is no belief in the afterlife, it would be to live the life to the fullest then, right? You're going to be no less than worms eventually and that's the end of it, right?

That's how I see it brah, this is all I got. :p

I just think of what it was like 10 years before I was born.

So what then, is the purpose of life for atheists? If there is no belief in the afterlife, it would be to live the life to the fullest then, right? You're going to be no less than worms eventually and that's the end of it, right?
We exist to bring life froward.
I've always wondered that too. Hope is one of the best emotions. Atheists think theists are only religious because they are afraid of Hell. That's certainly true, from the most vivid descriptions of it, I was shitting myself. I have also over the past few years become more religious, and my family less so. I'm the only one in my family who goes to church on Sundays, I love it.

Could you be a bit more specific about "Hell" there are a few of them on this planet.

Okay just to let everyone know even with all my Christian bashing I am a theist.

I'm actually a Sikh. :D

It just seems to me it is more probable or logical that their is a God, higher being, something.

I really don't know why people become atheist

Personally from my experience their are 2 types of atheist people.

1) Cocky rebels who are full of themselves and believe some people are stupid or lower than them because they believe in something "false"
2) Logical Open Minded awesome people with strong moral values

Atheists from my knowledge get their bad stereotypes from the first. I also respect many of you out their who are atheist but once and a while when I meet that one stupid atheist it could ruin it all for you guys.

I don't really know where I'm going with this but hey me and Navarre are the only theists here it seems so as some would say "Bring it on"

Nice thread.

:O /Jealous

Okay just to let everyone know even with all my Christian bashing I am a theist.

I'm actually a Sikh. :D

It just seems to me it is more probable or logical that their is a God, higher being, something.

I really don't know why people become atheist

Personally from my experience their are 2 types of atheist people.

1) Cocky rebels who are full of themselves and believe some people are stupid or lower than them because they believe in something "false"
2) Logical Open Minded awesome people with strong moral values

Atheists from my knowledge get their bad stereotypes from the first. I also respect many of you out their who are atheist but once and a while when I meet that one stupid atheist it could ruin it all for you guys.

I don't really know where I'm going with this but hey me and Navarre are the only theists here it seems so as some would say "Bring it on"

Nice thread.

:O /Jealous

Heh I like the way you put your last post.

Perhaps I haven't addressed myself properly before the chat, but I am being ambiguous for a reason, so that the thread will go smoothly for now. I suppose it's time to reveal that I am, Alhamdulilah, A MUSLIM. I like to point out the similarities and commonalities between religions before debating them, so if that's going to be the case, let us agree on things before going our own ways. The first thing we three (for now) have in common is that we are all theists, people of religion, and all believe in ONE God.

We three can discuss the actual impact of religion in general and be honest as to what it has led to, the good and the bad. Almost never does the "bad" that happens from people of a certain religion is not from that religion, but rather a bad apple from that group of people.

Any other input is just as welcome.

Perhaps I haven't addressed myself properly before the chat, but I am being ambiguous for a reason, so that the thread will go smoothly for now. I suppose it's time to reveal that I am, Alhamdulilah, A MUSLIM. I like to point out the similarities and commonalities between religions before debating them, so if that's going to be the case, let us agree on things before going our own ways. The first thing we three (for now) have in common is that we are all theists, people of religion, and all believe in ONE God.

We three can discuss the actual impact of religion in general and be honest as to what it has led to, the good and the bad. Almost never does the "bad" that happens from people of a certain religion is not from that religion, but rather a bad apple from that group of people.

Just out of curiousity, who exactly does "we three" refer to?

Just out of curiousity, who exactly does "we three" refer to?

Sorry about that, "we three" refers to the people so far on this forum that are confirmed theists, or just people OF religion lol.

Those are:

1. Me

2. PrinceLink

3. Navarre

Oh I almost forgot you were a moderator =) You could have at least waited for some momentum of the thread to pick up just to see where it was going before rushing to lock it, it was one of the most active threads on the whole site (well, for a certain while). I wasn't very fond of your discretion, but what can I do =/

Last edited:
Sod you Atheists
LEMMY IS GOD!!

On a sane note
How many atheists still celebrate Christmas even though they dont belive in a god?

Christmas is still a time to spend with family and friends and get cool gifts :p

I do not beleive in any higher being... Being spoon fed the strict Catholicism for my time as a child... But I still celebrate Christmas, not for any higher power, not for Christ's birth, or for anything like that. lol. In my opinion, Christmas is just a much better and more widely spread Thanksgiving. And in saying this, I mean that the only purpose of Christmas to me is to bring families and people together, whether it is through strife or just coincidence that they meet. You can relate this directly to "A Christmas Carol," the original, not the new one... Bc in all the times i have read that story,/seen the movie... Never ONCE have they hinted that it was a time to celebrate the birth of Christ or that it had anything to do with religion.

I dont mind the Christmas music either... I work as a musician in a music shop manager, and honestly, it IS a magical time of year... using that term loosely. The music itself will almost always put you in a better mood when you listen to it, as all music affects people differently. Im not saying your going to sit there thinking "Omfg! That was the best song ever!" but your going to feel much more lighthearted and, most likely, more inclined to have a smile on your face.

Unless your truly devout in believing that Christmas is only to satisfy an age old theory of Christianity, you'll find it hard to not smile during that time of year... Especially when everyone around you is smiling so brightly.

All that being said, I am myself an Atheist. I dont really mind Theists, in my opinion, people can believe whatever they want to believe. I just get severely annoyed with the Bible Beaters... Same goes for Atheists who try to prove to every Christian/Buddhist/Muslim whatever that there religion is false. I say, let people believe what they want to believe. No sense in being ignorant about it though.

Belief coincides directly with Hope... Its true, some theists only believe bc they are afraid of hell, or bc thatsa how they were brought up, or whatever the reason may be... But honestly, the Christians and beleivers of one God that were not brought up in that way and have made the choice themselves to believe... I cant help but respect them. They made their own choice, and its their life to decide what they believe... And believing in a higher power gives many people hope, especially to some of those who have lost it all.

I do not beleive in any higher being... Being spoon fed the strict Catholicism for my time as a child... But I still celebrate Christmas, not for any higher power, not for Christ's birth, or for anything like that. lol. In my opinion, Christmas is just a much better and more widely spread Thanksgiving. And in saying this, I mean that the only purpose of Christmas to me is to bring families and people together, whether it is through strife or just coincidence that they meet. You can relate this directly to "A Christmas Carol," the original, not the new one... Bc in all the times i have read that story,/seen the movie... Never ONCE have they hinted that it was a time to celebrate the birth of Christ or that it had anything to do with religion.

I dont mind the Christmas music either... I work as a musician in a music shop manager, and honestly, it IS a magical time of year... using that term loosely. The music itself will almost always put you in a better mood when you listen to it, as all music affects people differently. Im not saying your going to sit there thinking "Omfg! That was the best song ever!" but your going to feel much more lighthearted and, most likely, more inclined to have a smile on your face.
Speak for yourself, I can't stand Christmas songs. I've got nothing against Christmas in general, just the songs.

All that being said, I am myself an Atheist. I dont really mind Theists, in my opinion, people can believe whatever they want to believe. I just get severely annoyed with the Bible Beaters... Same goes for Atheists who try to prove to every Christian/Buddhist/Muslim whatever that there religion is false. I say, let people believe what they want to believe. No sense in being ignorant about it though.
Agreed. I don't think I've emphasised it well enough previously, but while I'm all for a bit of debate, I hate it whenever people try to force their beliefs on others or look down on anyone who doesn't agree with them, whether they're theist or atheist. I find it annoying when atheists call religious people stuff like "brainwashed fools" and such, because most religous people are normal, intelligent folk, and it reinforces the stereotype that all atheists are intolerant anti-theists.

Speak for yourself, I can't stand Christmas songs. I've got nothing against Christmas in general, just the songs.

Agreed. I don't think I've emphasised it well enough previously, but while I'm all for a bit of debate, I hate it whenever people try to force their beliefs on others or look down on anyone who doesn't agree with them, whether they're theist or atheist. I find it annoying when atheists call religious people stuff like "brainwashed fools" and such, because most religous people are normal, intelligent folk, and it reinforces the stereotype that all atheists are intolerant anti-theists.

Good point. And when people just start to randomly rub off their religious beliefs onto you when it holds no meaning to you. For instance, if a Christian of any denomination says that "Jesus loves you", this does absolutely nothing to the even slightly intelligent person to make them believe that Christianity is the true religion. In other words, they use "Christianities" on you, things that would only have a profound affect on fellow Christians to boost their faith. Jesus loves you...

Back