Why the change to AAC?

strommsarnac

WiiChat Member
Dec 28, 2006
USA, Central Ohio
I know others have touched on the MP3 to AAC thing. But I want to know why.

Personally, I think it sucks. Doing this is like nVidia disabling DirectX9 on my 8800GTX. Where do they get off making this decision for us?

This is one of those changes which makes people think it's motivated by money. AAC playback is not free. It's licensed and royalties have to be paid to Apple. So I have to ask, what is Nintendo getting from Apple for doing this?

I am not going to convert all my MP3 (yes they're legal versions of my 200 CDs) over to AAC. I never had a problem with MP3 playback, so why should I convert.

I agree, I'm not going to convert my mp3's to AAC. I think it was a stupid decision UNLESS Nintendo are getting something decent from Apple.

well even if nintendo is getting something from apple they're still making their paying customers mad because of the change

I can't get them to even play on the channel because when I buy them on Itunes and it won't let you play it on anything. So does anyone know how to unlock it?

its like i always said they don't care about what you think. nintendos latest focus is on what is going to make us money and not what is going to make customers happy. im pretty sure there is going to be some music download later on in the systems life. who knows

If you notice they are always updating the shop channel like every two months just to draw more buyers in. But im pretty sure they know we want a real update that is going to be usefull and entertaining to us. Like a surprise that was supposed to come, a update to the mii channel, etc.

I have heard a rumor that nintendo shot down the idea of updating the mii channel and a first party game involving the mii's. its just a rumor but if its true than nintendo has already let this success go to its head.

For those that did update the photo channel i believe there is a program that was used for psp that converts mp3's to other formats. ill have to get back to you on that though.

ummmm you don't HAVE to download the update for photo channel... it even says it in the Nintendo message, and you can even DELETE the update if you have downloaded it and decide you want to use .MP3

AAC format blech...

They say the sound quality is better on AAC format than MP3 but Nintendo would be very ignorant if they did'nt know 90% of people use MP3 format music files I mean they are the primary format!
I think they should've just added the option to play either MP3s or AACs cause it'd be a pain for everyone to go and convert ALL of there music to AACs just for the Wii...

There may be an underlying reason though...
It may be just to slap Microsoft in the face cause Nintendo doesn't like Microsoft? I thought ATI (Nintendos graphics) also made the graphics chips for the 360s (correct me if I'm wrong)
Because the only people who'd really benefit from this are MAC users (and I for one am not a MAC fan)

And trying to convert MP3s to AACs is a pain in the a$$ I've tried it and thought to hell with this I guess I'll have to keep an outdated photo channel...

How hard is it to convert your MP3 files to AAC. LOL. Seriously, you can even do it using itunes. The sound quality is way better too. Not rocket science.:rolleyes:

Dubb's Wii said:
How hard is it to convert your MP3 files to AAC. LOL. Seriously, you can even do it using itunes. The sound quality is way better too. Not rocket science.:rolleyes:
too bad wii can only output mono, making the conversion pointless anyway:tard:

i think you miss his point, its not the point of how easy it may be to convert but why have to do it in the first place when mp3 where already supported. like previous poster said it should be a choice to have either not just one. The psp for that matter handles mp3, atrac, and acc. the wii could have used this option as well.

my question why change it in the firstplace when you could have just implemented a music channel. it seem a lot of fuss to change something thats not that big a deal any way.

You can't play AAC music bought on iTunes on your wii if it has DRM protection. You can convert your non-DRM mp3 files to aac and then play them on your wii.

I know the point but I chose not to reply on that.

I think its not worth talking about. Its not like Nintendo cares. Why ***** about it instead of searching for solutions. Too bad they changed it, yeh its stupid, yeh it does not make sense but you can also look for ways to work with it

This change to AAC is a bit of a surprise. However I would bet that in a few months a deal will be struck with Apple and the Apple iTunes will be one of the channels you can download. This will be a huge money making potential for Nintendo.

What I think they should do is introduce a Player channel, this would give you the ability to Play multiple music formats as well as Divx, Avi etc. I just don't understand why a Photo Channel needs the ability to play music anyway???

Dubb's Wii said:

My point is that I shouldn't have to. I paid for MP3 support and now they are taking that away from me if I want the newer features of the Photo Channel.

Also, everyone keeps saying that AAC sound is way better than MP3. NOT when the source is the MP3. Without a lot of editing, you can't get a "better" sound out of a "good" sound. So all I'll end up with is a waste of my time for the same sound. What do I get out of this? Nothing. What do I lose? My time and since I charge $75-150/hr in my consulting business...

That they didn't ask people who paid for MP3 support just impresses that they don't give a crap about the owners.

Back