Why the change to AAC?

Sorry... But who the F**K uses the Photo Channel anyway? It's pointless, just like the News / Weather and Everybody Votes Channel.

I've not used it for any real use except to see what it was.

As for AAC over MP3. It's a real load of bollocks and there is possibly some backhander going on somwhere.

To keep the dummies satisfied.

AAC can produce a slight (but I wouldn't say it's noticable) increase in quality of the same size MP3.

However, it really depends on the bitrate of the file. Which leads to this point.. if you use iTunes to download your music then you are a mug. The bitrate is what 128kbps? A decent MP3 should be ripped at a varibale bitrate of between 200 to 300kbps.

So if you have your 128kbps MP3 and you convert them to AAC or you just donwload same size AAC files, you will not notice any difference.

Hence why, real music lovers will always buy CD's and rip with EAC with a LAME encoder, than download from iTunes.

IF Nintendo is POSSIBLY working with Apple to use AAC files, and iPod's use AAC, maybe Nintendo might be able to get permission from Apple to make your iPod compatible with your Wii. All iPod's come with a USB connector, and Nintendo might make it possible to plug it in to one of the ports in back, and possibly go hand-and-hand with a new music channel?

Just a thought...

Last edited:
strommsarnac said:
Hmm, the "quoting" didn't work when I cut his post into parts.

One of your tags is missing a slash

sracer said:
Have you been such a nerdledink ALL of your life, or is it a recent development?
The last quote there needs to be [ / quote] (except without the spaces).

sracer said:
Have you been such a nerdledink ALL of your life, or is it a recent development?

Once one gets messed up, they all fail.

AAC was developed by the MPEG group that includes Dolby, Fraunhofer (FhG), AT&T, Sony and Nokia.

Just because Apple uses the format doesn't mean they own it. You may as well say Mozilla owns .jpg because it can display .jpg images.

Ahh, I stand corrected. I've been reading up on AAC and it's actually owned by a group of companies which were behind the MP3 format. Apple just chose it for their players since at <320kbps it has a better sound quality when compared with MP3. Supposedly once both hit that 320kbps and greater, it's almost impossible to notice a difference.

Still, Nintendo wouldn't have "forced" a switch if they weren't going to get something out of it financially. I'd still like to see a "3rd" update to the Photo Channel which has the other enhancements minus the AAC format.

yeah, i bet something is coming soon. Maybe Wiitunes :ihih: streaming internet radio, download music and maybe even tv shows and movies(just like itunes). That would be sweet.:p

If it affects you so bad just keep the original photo channel.

strommsarnac said:
Still, Nintendo wouldn't have "forced" a switch if they weren't going to get something out of it financially. I'd still like to see a "3rd" update to the Photo Channel which has the other enhancements minus the AAC format.

MP3 capability requires paying a license fee. AAC does not.

strommsarnac said:
My point is that I shouldn't have to. I paid for MP3 support and now they are taking that away from me if I want the newer features of the Photo Channel.

Are you sure you paid for MP3 support? I doubt that. Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I bet you there is a EULA (End User License Agreement) or something that says they can do whatever they want to their system and anything and everything is subject to change.

As a matter of fact, here is an excerpt from the Wii EULA and YOU have already accepted it as noted below (this is like the first line of the EULA):

"This is the same End User License Agreement (EULA) that must be accepted when a Wii console is powered on for the first time. It is provided here for your convenience should you need to review it."

And here are some lines relevant to the thread.

Chapter: Wii Console System Updates.

You understand that the Wii Console system specifications are constantly evolving. In an effort to provide you with the latest system enhancements and features, we may either send a systems update to your Wii Console without notice to you, or ask you to accept a systems update for your Wii Console. Such systems update may need to be accepted in order to play new Wii games or continue to access the Wii Network Service.

Article: Content

Nintendo may upgrade, change or terminate the Wii Network Services, and/or the Content and Products offered as part of the Wii Network Service, at our own discretion at any time with or without notice to you

The EULA can be found here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/privacyEULA.jsp

Sorry, just had to argue the fact that just about anything hardware/software including the consoles we love so much, the manufacturers always cover their hide.

At any rate, Nintendo does need to listen to the consumers since they have already got a good thing going with the Wii. If they were to get on the ball and get the online thing going for real and also hook up some itunes and other cool stuff like that, the Wii would be unstopable.

Dubb's Wii said:
yeah, i bet something is coming soon. Maybe Wiitunes :ihih: streaming internet radio, download music and maybe even tv shows and movies(just like itunes). That would be sweet.:p

its not going to happen. the wii doesn't have enough memory to hold music and videos for your viewing pleasure. streaming is already done through the internet channel with finetune and if you want to view videos (of any format) on the wii from you're computer, you can just get winamp remote. its better than putting a bunch of mp3 (or ACC's) on an sd card to listen to you're music. plus, with wii tabs, you can also browse the internet while listening to you're stuff.

and anyways, why are you guys making a big deal out of it. the upgrade is optional. bleh!

Back