Wii in danger of repeating the Gamecube?

The Wiis situation is nothing like the Gamecubes. The Gamecube had a lack of third party games because the system didnt sell in huge numbers. The Wii has sold in huge numbers and been a suprise success so developers have been playing catch up and releasing rushed titles and ports.

Yes the Wii is getting a ton of shovelware but so did the PS2. Sure it would be great if every single game was up to the standard of Mario Galaxy but the shovelware does fill up shelf space so prospective console buyers see shelves full of games and think that the Wii is a successful system with a lot of games. That was one of the most impressive things about the PS2, at least 75% of the games were awful but when you see those shelves full of games, well it has to be the best console to get right?

For a first year the Wii has had some incredible games and has definite big games to come (SSBB and Mario Kart are virtually guarunteed successes). Other than FF and MGS on PS3 i dont know of any future big releases for the other consoles. People will always whine about the games available but it could be worse, you could have just had a PS3 for a year with even fewer quality titles to play and been constantly waiting for a really great game to come out to justify your purchase.

A lot of third partys have been snooty towards the Wii but they soon do a back track when they realise what a big market it is (like the guys making Spore who cussed the Wii to hell at first but then did a total 180 and said that the Wii was the only true next gen machine). It dosent matter how great they think their game engine looks on PS3 or whatever, if the game cost $20 million to make and only sells about 100k copies then in terms of profitabilty it stops looking so great and Wii starts looking a whole lot better.

We are still probably getting a 360 this Christmas but there are not many games that interest me that much on it, only Mass Effect and COD4 are probably must plays for me. The majority of Christmas gaming is for our Wii with 5 games on Santa's list and shock horror all of those 5 are third party games! :yikes:

raisinghelen said:
The Wiis situation is nothing like the Gamecubes. The Gamecube had a lack of third party games because the system didnt sell in huge numbers. The Wii has sold in huge numbers and been a suprise success so developers have been playing catch up and releasing rushed titles and ports.

Yes the Wii is getting a ton of shovelware but so did the PS2. Sure it would be great if every single game was up to the standard of Mario Galaxy but the shovelware does fill up shelf space so prospective console buyers see shelves full of games and think that the Wii is a successful system with a lot of games. That was one of the most impressive things about the PS2, at least 75% of the games were awful but when you see those shelves full of games, well it has to be the best console to get right?

For a first year the Wii has had some incredible games and has definite big games to come (SSBB and Mario Kart are virtually guarunteed successes). Other than FF and MGS on PS3 i dont know of any future big releases for the other consoles. People will always whine about the games available but it could be worse, you could have just had a PS3 for a year with even fewer quality titles to play and been constantly waiting for a really great game to come out to justify your purchase.

A lot of third partys have been snooty towards the Wii but they soon do a back track when they realise what a big market it is (like the guys making Spore who cussed the Wii to hell at first but then did a total 180 and said that the Wii was the only true next gen machine). It dosent matter how great they think their game engine looks on PS3 or whatever, if the game cost $20 million to make and only sells about 100k copies then in terms of profitabilty it stops looking so great and Wii starts looking a whole lot better.

We are still probably getting a 360 this Christmas but there are not many games that interest me that much on it, only Mass Effect and COD4 are probably must plays for me. The majority of Christmas gaming is for our Wii with 5 games on Santa's list and shock horror all of those 5 are third party games! :yikes:

ok well...the Wii IS the gamecube, only a slight graphic upgrade..all the hardware inside it is the same, basically...yes the gamecube didnt sell much so it didnt have games and the Wii is sellin like crazy, BUT the reason why no games from 3rd party isnt out is cuz they dont want to DOWN GRADE!!!!!!..the Wii isnt built for nexgen..it can handle wat the other systems are putting out, and that is the reason for all the "shovelware"...the Wii is nothing but a fad...now i love the my Wii and wouldnt sell it back or anything...but i am sick on Nintendo..and mark my words...this time next yr the Wii will be the next "lunch Box".

Bliss said:
ok well...the Wii IS the gamecube, only a slight graphic upgrade..all the hardware inside it is the same, basically...yes the gamecube didnt sell much so it didnt have games and the Wii is sellin like crazy, BUT the reason why no games from 3rd party isnt out is cuz they dont want to DOWN GRADE!!!!!!..the Wii isnt built for nexgen..it can handle wat the other systems are putting out, and that is the reason for all the "shovelware"...the Wii is nothing but a fad...now i love the my Wii and wouldnt sell it back or anything...but i am sick on Nintendo..and mark my words...this time next yr the Wii will be the next "lunch Box".

The Wii is the WII, with backward compatibility with the GameCube. Sales is what drives the industry, not hardware specs. Third-party developers don't have to downgrade necessarily. In fact, with lesser hardware means less difficulty with development. Let's face it, they can build Wii games off of the GameCube architecture if they want to.

Oh, and all video game systems are "fads", if you look at the statistics. They are incepted, they last for awhile, then they make way for newer hardware. I'm not going to convince you that this system is somehow superior to everything else on the market, but it holds the public interest and marketshare. It will continue to dominate unless it starts exploding or causing people to die.

The third-party support isn't even necessary to the system's success. They keep enough first-party games moving to keep people playing.

devitek said:
The Wii is the WII, with backward compatibility with the GameCube. Sales is what drives the industry, not hardware specs. Third-party developers don't have to downgrade necessarily. In fact, with lesser hardware means less difficulty with development. Let's face it, they can build Wii games off of the GameCube architecture if they want to.

Oh, and all video game systems are "fads", if you look at the statistics. They are incepted, they last for awhile, then they make way for newer hardware. I'm not going to convince you that this system is somehow superior to everything else on the market, but it holds the public interest and marketshare. It will continue to dominate unless it starts exploding or causing people to die.

The third-party support isn't even necessary to the system's success. They keep enough first-party games moving to keep people playing.

so ur tellin me without 3rd party help u will be content with ur wii? Not me. There is no way i am goin to sit there and play "kiddie" games everyday cuz we all know thats wat nintendo is known for. and not all video game systems are fads...take the ps2 for example i can bet any amount of money that people who have one are still playing theres..i know i am....:lol: i just find this funny cuz im having the same debate in 2 different threads...but if u go to the other thread i think its call where is the 3rd party love or something i quoted Miyamoto and he stated how the Wii IS the gamecube.

Bliss said:
so ur tellin me without 3rd party help u will be content with ur wii? Not me. There is no way i am goin to sit there and play "kiddie" games everyday cuz we all know thats wat nintendo is known for. and not all video game systems are fads...take the ps2 for example i can bet any amount of money that people who have one are still playing theres..i know i am....:lol: i just find this funny cuz im having the same debate in 2 different threads...but if u go to the other thread i think its call where is the 3rd party love or something i quoted Miyamoto and he stated how the Wii IS the gamecube.

Content? Yes. Ecstatic? No.

"Kiddie" games? Which ones? Like Galaxy, Twilight Princess, MP3? I'd never really thought of them as kiddie games, but I guess since they aren't "hardcore" like Halo and whatnot that they might be classified as such in comparison.

See, I like to play games based on entertainment value. Simply put, if a game is entertaining (kiddie or not), I will play it to death. If the game sucks, then it sucks and that's that.

PS2 is a fad. It's reaching it's end-of-life while we speak. The only reason it hasn't died out completely is because it's successor (PS3) isn't doing so well. If the PS3 suddenly started selling and having a ton of great games, the PS2 would be dropped faster than F-bombs in Superbad. I own a PS2 and stopped playing it months before I got the Wii. The last game I played was FFXII, and that pretty much killed it for me.

I accept that the Wii is an upgraded GameCube. Like the PS3 is an upgraded PS2, and the XBOX360 is an upgraded XBOX. What's the difference?

It's getting off-topic. The Wii is in no danger, not for at least a few years. I'm saying that the Wii could survive that long with only first-party support--it doesn't need the hardcore gaming community's support to exist thanks to genius marketing towards "casual".

Bliss said:
You keep saying 'no third party games are out' because they dont want to 'downgrade'. Like i said there are 5 Wii games on my Christmas list and all 5 are third party games so im not sure where you are getting the idea that there are no third party games.

So you think next year the Wii will be a forgotten fad because nobody will want to play SSBB or Mario Kart, i mean, those games have never been successful right? :eek:ut: No casuals are going to want Wii-Fit either right? :eek:ut: Thats just crazy talk.

Galaxy, Tp, and MP3, THATS IT, wats else is there..and dont tell me SSBB cuz come on now, that is like eatting peanut butter and jelly but with no jelly, everyone there looks good but the game itself isnt to good (my expierance with other SSBB games)..i like to play games on entainment value also , but im tired of controling cartoon characters, im not askin for Halo, to be honest i have never played halo in my life thats how much i am devoted to ninty but i feel "dicked"....all i have to say

devitek said:
<sarcasm>
Yeah, and if Animal Crossing hits the Wii then the system is sure to fail...
</sarcasm>
:p
Animal Crossing will be the best game out there for the wii!(My opion)

I've got the holy trinity of Nintendo, but I've also got MOHH2, RE:UC, Zack and Wiki...I'd have more if I could afford them. There are several good games for this system--don't give up hope for it yet! It usually takes developers almost a year to fully understand how to work with a system, and another year to master it. Look at the DS, it wasn't great in it's first year. Now, it's got a TON of fantastic games and is doing better all the time.

I can't really speak about the cartoon-like characters Nintendo uses. That's their trademark, I guess. It's going to be up to the third-party guys to give us more realistic characters, or at least less-cartoony ones (is that a word??)

But, if you don't like their games, it's like you said--you still play your PS2, right?

Bliss said:
Galaxy, Tp, and MP3, THATS IT, wats else is there..and dont tell me SSBB cuz come on now, that is like eatting peanut butter and jelly but with no jelly, everyone there looks good but the game itself isnt to good (my expierance with other SSBB games)..i like to play games on entainment value also , but im tired of controling cartoon characters, im not askin for Halo, to be honest i have never played halo in my life thats how much i am devoted to ninty but i feel "dicked"....all i have to say
You really need to get out more and see what games are actually available. Trauma Center, Godfather, Scarface, RE4, Manhunt 2, MOH Heroes 2, RE:UC etc etc etc, none of these games are actually cartoon character based, quite a few are very violent in nature, some more so because of Wii controls.

You are probably in a very small minority that thinks SSBB looks good but the gameplay is not.

no i wont give up hope on nintendo...and ur right about the DS, and yes i still play my ps2 even though i do have a ps3 that i play also....i just hope something good come out of this cuz they have something here and they better take full advantage of it...and yea the cartoon characters gotta go :lol:

EDIT;;; to raisinghelen....relax there buddy....Godfather..rather play it on a ps same as scrface and RE4 was great for the wii, manhunt 2 is ok, camera angles and reaction time still sucks as the first. havent played MOH yet nor RE: UC...BUT ANY MY WHOLE POINT IS NINTENDO ITSELF BUDDY, dont jump in unless u know wats goin on...i said nintendos PRIME games are all cartoon like...wat u just said is all 3rd party games.....and yes i am not a ssbb fan

Last edited:
Back