Wii Online - Will it be a success

LevesqueIsKing

An Instant Classic
Apr 4, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Sure, we'll all be glad to see nintendo get online no matter how bad it is, but how well do you think nintendo will do with it? Xbox Live isnt good for any 'ol reason, its because they had live on the original Xbox, and theyve had that much more experience. So do you think Nintendo (having no previous experience) will hit this one right on the head, or will it bomb? The only article I remember seeing was one in GameInformer about them getting to try out strikers. They were highly unimpressed because apparently it took 2-3 seconds to load EACH AND EVERY page (remind anyone of the WiiShop Channel?).

What do you guys think?

So because something takes 2 seconds to load it sucks?

I think Nintendo will pull it off, they know their competition and how much online gaming and stuff means to the gaming crowd.

It certainly will not be as good as XBL but I am certain it will not bomb.

I'm not sure. We need to see what Nintendo can offer. Online gaming has been Nintendo's greatest weakness in the past. In order to win the next gen wars you need a decent online network of games. I just hope Nintendo realizes this.

Why shouldnt Nintendo come up trumps and deliver a good online gaming experience? Ive got an Xbox 360 and since i got the wii it has been gathering dust. Where Microsoft and Sony have delivered in outstanding graphics, no-one can deny that the Wii is streets ahead in terms of Raw gameplay. I dont expect Nintendo to rival Sony or Microsoft where online gaming is concerned but what we can be sure of is getting what we want from any entertainment console..FUN!

mario strikers is conveniently the first online game (if there using is to see how good its responded to, i dont think SMBB's online is too developed) i think we'll have to wait 10 days (idk anything about the Japanese wii Pokemon online, any know how it works/impressed by it?) i think that online play will be good, I mean, how can they totally mess it up?? (shivers at the idea) they should just do i copy-cattish XBL thing as there starting point and add stuff rather then remove anything O_O that might make xbox mad but ill be happy :p

If it stays free it will beat the others but if Nintendo gets to charging to much it is over for them.....

For the right product, I wouldn't have any concerns about a subscription fee. However, if they ever decide to charge Xbox live fees, they better make sure they deliver that an experience that is up to par. Free service definitely can help them bring more people in, but if they want to bring in premium options, there are a lot of adults playing this system that would be willing to pony up if the service is worth it.

Whether it succeeds or not is all about execution. The angels are in the details. Nintendo can take and learn from the Xbox and the DS, and improve on both, if they want to.

It seems to me that if Brawl will have online play, Wii Online will be a hit. That is, if they can follow it up with good connections and such.

Hmm... I thought xbox360 DID charge.
I mean, when we bought it, they told us that it did.
Rar.... and we bought ps2 live (or something... we're fools)
but we didn't know how to hook it up.

^_^ but finally, we have Wi-Fi because we bought another computer for upstairs and that'd just be too many wires...
and we're going to get another computer for my little brother, so

ahh... I ramble too often.

Strangergirl said:
Hmm... I thought xbox360 DID charge.

It does. I think a year's sub would be ~60$. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah... that's rediculous!!!
I mean, it's not that much, but I still don't want to pay.
I think it might be worth it, though. Thanks.

I don't know. If it were around 50$ a year, it came with a certain number of wii points per month (basically, free VC downloads), multiplayer on games like MP3 with voice chat (to better organize squads and get the real war experience--with all that pesky dying), and maybe even some movie rental options/bonuses (obviously, the Wii would need some storage upgrade, USB like for that to happen), the it might be worth the cost of one game (50$). Add to that, what if the Wii got a Second Life-like game, or a WoW-like universe. Online play can dramatically extend the life and fun of a game and it's worth.

I don't know all of the Xbox live features, but I've never heard any users complain about the price.

Nintendo has one strike against it with it's cumbersome friend system (which I still don't fully 'get'). It's not a fatal strike or anything, but they need to make the system convenient for users (bypassing the friend system with some sort of adult verification system for instance, use a credit card to prove you're an adult, and you don't need Nintendo's 'protection'), especially if they start thinking about charging for it.

Heh... mayn... I JUST started to get this friend system after Tuesday.
But if they had a whole thing like Second Life or Runescape or Sims, it'd be the boomb!
lol, I know that I seem like I'm an eccentric dork, but I am.

I'd love it.

Get a 360 if you want decent online gaming. But 50 dollars a year is nothing when you play games hours a day online. The only thing I dislike about the wii online is Friend codes.... Ewwwwww. But hopefully they will come out with some quality online games to make me keep coming back, before H3 and GTA4 that is.lol

I bought ONM the other day. It said that Strikers online was quite impressive, with minimal lag. I suppose it's why you can only play people without friendcodes in your region.

The strange thing is, is that the friendcode was 12 numbers. This means that it will not be exactly the same as the Wii code unfortunately (but not totally unexpected). Personally, I don't mind the friendcode system. Most people who want to play each other have it in their sigs and that anyway.

Back