Wii vs Xbox

WizKid

Raving Rabbit
Nov 13, 2006
Opelika, AL
Hi. I'm stumped. I'm about to get an Xbox 360 on Friday, but now I'm not quite sure...I have a standard def tv, and would need need to get the that $15 doodad RCA Y gizmo at RadioShack in order to use either console.

And no, I (among others) do not like the fact the the {RI,MP}AA are forcing HDTV down our throats.:mad5:

No thank you, but I do not want to loose my fair use rights by means of HDCP. :mad5: :mad5:

Sadly, Charter is slowly killing the analog channel lineup in my area. :mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

And, probably a flicker fixer for the TV and such. The main question is, will there be a noticable difference between the two on a standard def TV between the two?

For anybody wondering why there are 6 'mad' symbols, as they say:

"One, two, three strikes you're out at the old ball game!" ;)

As in, "screw you, **AA!!!!"

Another reason why was because (from the recent X-Play 'Best of 06' awards, the Wii got 4, while the Xbox got 3. Huh? I don't know what to think. :shocked: :crazy:

I am thinking about getting an Xbox because with the Wii, you would have to:

- Get either the LinkSys EtherFast USB adapter or the 'official' (sic, branded :crazy:) Nintendo adapter.
- An ethernet cable

Whereas with the Xbox, I would maybe only have to get a 5 cent RJ45 coupler if the included cable isn't long enough (I already have a 7" cable)

Last edited:
Well, you are forgetting that the Xbox 360 came out last year, so dont forget last years games to add to all the awesome games on the 360, and also, dont forget that the online for the 360 is currently and probably will burn the Wiis online like hell!

Okinuza said:
Well, you are forgetting that the Xbox 360 came out last year, so dont forget last years games to add to all the awesome games on the 360, and also, dont forget that the online for the 360 is currently and probably will burn the Wiis online like hell!

Yes, I bet it will. But the media seems to be skeptical of everything. Ick. Don't you just hate questioning your own judgement? :ee5k: That is, questioning because of the questionable media...

Oh, and would a flicker fixer be necessary?
Since I have epilepsy...alot of people do. :)

Last edited:
Don't use the Y adapter to split the outputs into one input on the TV. Use an input selector (game switch, whatever you want to call it).

The flicker is only as bad as your TV.

I, quite frankly, couldn't be happier that HDTV is being "forced" down our throats. SDTV looks really, really bad.

Digital broadcasts are only being required over the air. If your cable company is removing analog broadcasts, they are doing something they don't necessarily have to. Maybe their cable system is old, and they don't have the bandwidth along the cable to support analog and digital broadcasts.

SuperH said:
Don't use the Y adapter to split the outputs into one input on the TV. Use an input selector (game switch, whatever you want to call it).

But my TV only has one coaxial and one front combo RCA audio/one composite jack.

What box do I use? The xbox doesn't have a passthrough for coaxial. Unless, of course, I buy 3 to 6 different adapters and suffer signal loss as a result. And then I would have to buy a signal booster, correct?

The flicker is only as bad as your TV.
That makes sense.

I, quite frankly, couldn't be happier that HDTV is being "forced" down our throats. SDTV looks really, really bad.
I agree, but what about fair use? Encrypted streams are bad. I am tired of cash hungry, know-nothing, careless corporations screwing us. Aren't you?

If your cable company is removing analog broadcasts, they are doing something they don't necessarily have to.

True, but Charter doesn't listen to their customers at all. :(

Maybe their cable system is old, and they don't have the bandwidth along the cable to support analog and digital broadcasts.

Also true, but Charter would never admit it...

After all, it's been with us since the 1950s. Unless we can outwit the media moguls and put 'fair use' back into HDTV...unencrypted streams...yum!

HDCP ruins it for everyone. :( :( :(

Last edited:
I am assuming you want to know which is the better buy. I would get the 360 because there is alot more games to chose from and the marketplace is awesome.

Lethal said:
I am assuming you want to know which is the better buy. I would get the 360 because there is alot more games to chose from and the marketplace is awesome.

Now my choice is 'set in stone'. :yesnod:

The Xbox.

Last edited:
right now id say 360 for the sheer amont of games but if they came out at the same time i wouldve said wii

it all depends on the games you like,if youre on to gears of war,and new GTA spinoffs then get the 360,if you are in to innovation,good RPG's and adventure games,and AAA games from nintendo then get the wii.

why do i feel that xbox360 is a bit old? (compared to ps3 and wiii) it's still very good but... i think wii sales might be more? i love the 3 of them but wii is the most special and impressive!! :devil:

Dude, use the money towards a new TV. 360 game on a standard definition CRT TV doesn't look that much better than Xbox 1 games.

Last black Friday, one of my buddies bought a 26" Sylvania LCD HDTV for $499 after rebate.

Imo, i would highly suggest getting the Wii instead. Having a 360 and no high def tv to play it on is a huge loss imho. Having a standard will make you unable to experience the full graphical potential of the 360. The Wii however doesn't really do full high def and is great on standard, so you're not really missing out on anything. Just my opinion. But with the game lineup, it'll depend on what games you like. such as the Wii is coming out with mario and mp3 next year and zelda is already out. If you want those games, then a Wii is a good choice. The 360 offers great games too, such as halo series, gears of war, and etc. tons of different games. But remember, halo is only on xbox and mario/zelda/mp is only on nintendo.

Back