Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii vs Xbox

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by WizKid, Dec 20, 2006.

1. WizKid

WizKid Raving Rabbit

Hi. I'm stumped. I'm about to get an Xbox 360 on Friday, but now I'm not quite sure...I have a standard def tv, and would need need to get the that $15 doodad RCA Y gizmo at RadioShack in order to use either console.

And no, I (among others) do not like the fact the the {RI,MP}AA are forcing HDTV down our throats.:mad5:

No thank you, but I do not want to loose my fair use rights by means of HDCP. :mad5: :mad5:

Sadly, Charter is slowly killing the analog channel lineup in my area. :mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

And, probably a flicker fixer for the TV and such. The main question is, will there be a noticable difference between the two on a standard def TV between the two?

For anybody wondering why there are 6 'mad' symbols, as they say:

"One, two, three strikes you're out at the old ball game!" ;)

As in, "screw you, **AA!!!!"

Another reason why was because (from the recent X-Play 'Best of 06' awards, the Wii got 4, while the Xbox got 3. Huh? I don't know what to think. :shocked: :crazy:

I am thinking about getting an Xbox because with the Wii, you would have to:

- Get either the LinkSys EtherFast USB adapter or the 'official' (sic, branded :crazy:) Nintendo adapter.
    - An ethernet cable

Whereas with the Xbox, I would maybe only have to get a 5 cent RJ45 coupler if the included cable isn't long enough (I already have a 7" cable)

#1 WizKid, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  2. csayers666

csayers666 WiiChat Member

sorry... what was your question again, reading all that gave me brain ache

3. Okinuza

Okinuza Almost Wii

Well, you are forgetting that the Xbox 360 came out last year, so dont forget last years games to add to all the awesome games on the 360, and also, dont forget that the online for the 360 is currently and probably will burn the Wiis online like hell!

4. WizKid

WizKid Raving Rabbit

Yes, I bet it will. But the media seems to be skeptical of everything. Ick. Don't you just hate questioning your own judgement? :ee5k: That is, questioning because of the questionable media...

Oh, and would a flicker fixer be necessary?
    Since I have epilepsy...alot of people do. :)

#4 WizKid, Dec 20, 2006
  5. SuperH

SuperH WiiChat Member

Don't use the Y adapter to split the outputs into one input on the TV. Use an input selector (game switch, whatever you want to call it).

The flicker is only as bad as your TV.

I, quite frankly, couldn't be happier that HDTV is being "forced" down our throats. SDTV looks really, really bad.

Digital broadcasts are only being required over the air. If your cable company is removing analog broadcasts, they are doing something they don't necessarily have to. Maybe their cable system is old, and they don't have the bandwidth along the cable to support analog and digital broadcasts.

6. WizKid

WizKid Raving Rabbit

But my TV only has one coaxial and one front combo RCA audio/one composite jack.

What box do I use? The xbox doesn't have a passthrough for coaxial. Unless, of course, I buy 3 to 6 different adapters and suffer signal loss as a result. And then I would have to buy a signal booster, correct?

That makes sense.

I agree, but what about fair use? Encrypted streams are bad. I am tired of cash hungry, know-nothing, careless corporations screwing us. Aren't you?

True, but Charter doesn't listen to their customers at all. :(

Also true, but Charter would never admit it...

After all, it's been with us since the 1950s. Unless we can outwit the media moguls and put 'fair use' back into HDTV...unencrypted streams...yum!

HDCP ruins it for everyone. :( :( :(

#6 WizKid, Dec 20, 2006
  7. WizKid

WizKid Raving Rabbit

Here is the link to my TV.

Also, see my previous post. :wink:

8. Lethal

Lethal Extreme Gamer

Wii Friend Code: 4683-8466-6765-2704
    4683-8466-6765-2704
    I am assuming you want to know which is the better buy. I would get the 360 because there is alot more games to chose from and the marketplace is awesome.

9. WizKid

WizKid Raving Rabbit

Now my choice is 'set in stone'. :yesnod:

The Xbox.

#9 WizKid, Dec 20, 2006
  10. gouranga

gouranga WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8839-9997-1474-5892
    8839-9997-1474-5892
    right now id say 360 for the sheer amont of games but if they came out at the same time i wouldve said wii

11. Link_

Link_ The Hero Of Time

Wii Friend Code: 3401-8126-5359-2546
    3401-8126-5359-2546
    it all depends on the games you like,if youre on to gears of war,and new GTA spinoffs then get the 360,if you are in to innovation,good RPG's and adventure games,and AAA games from nintendo then get the wii.

12. lenitao3

lenitao3 Pswii or Wii360 ???

why do i feel that xbox360 is a bit old? (compared to ps3 and wiii) it's still very good but... i think wii sales might be more? i love the 3 of them but wii is the most special and impressive!! :devil:

13. Deathmetalmaster

Deathmetalmaster WiiChat Member

xbox is cool, but if you have patience with the wii, it will make you happier than all the other systems combined.

14. ddslee

ddslee WiiChat Member

Dude, use the money towards a new TV. 360 game on a standard definition CRT TV doesn't look that much better than Xbox 1 games.

Last black Friday, one of my buddies bought a 26" Sylvania LCD HDTV for $499 after rebate.

15. COLDshiver

COLDshiver Wii Owner

Wii Friend Code: 4532-8683-6668-7765
    4532-8683-6668-7765
    Imo, i would highly suggest getting the Wii instead. Having a 360 and no high def tv to play it on is a huge loss imho. Having a standard will make you unable to experience the full graphical potential of the 360. The Wii however doesn't really do full high def and is great on standard, so you're not really missing out on anything. Just my opinion. But with the game lineup, it'll depend on what games you like. such as the Wii is coming out with mario and mp3 next year and zelda is already out. If you want those games, then a Wii is a good choice. The 360 offers great games too, such as halo series, gears of war, and etc. tons of different games. But remember, halo is only on xbox and mario/zelda/mp is only on nintendo.

16. ftcmark

ftcmark Listen up bitches!

Wii Friend Code: 1858-1536-2592-3221
    1858-1536-2592-3221
    I thought you were smart for a second until I read your signature. The weather outside is nice, whether or not I will wear a coat is a decision I must make.

17. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

no one is forcing you onto hd
    and honestly, i didnt notice a difference between playing on HD at my friends house and on my TV here
    and 360 needs an ethernet cable but it comes with one

18. COLDshiver

COLDshiver Wii Owner

Wii Friend Code: 4532-8683-6668-7765
    4532-8683-6668-7765
    Oh, there is a difference! Maybe since you play at your friend's house, you can't really compare them right next to each other. If you have them side by side, you will see a very big difference! First time i got my HD, i thought that it wasn't a big deal but when i had my SDTV right next to my HD, there's a major difference! Ask your friend to switch between channels like Fox. Fox has an HD channel and a regular channel, switch back and forth and you'll see the difference.

19. PersianCowboy

PersianCowboy WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 6258-4013-0776-5311
    6258-4013-0776-5311
    I think in the long run you'd be way better off with a wii. Especially once developers get the controls down and throw out some killer first person shooters, because this system will be killer once it gets some more FPS's and Mario of course. Plus all the great VC games every monday, a great browser and something new.

If you can afford it, get the 360 now and the Wii in a year.

20. Lethal

Lethal Extreme Gamer

Wii Friend Code: 4683-8466-6765-2704
    4683-8466-6765-2704
    So you suggest the Wii because you wont ever have great graphics so its no loss? You guys are giving terrible advice. The Wii has like 2 games worth a $hit. The 360 has so many more great games and much better marketplace games (UMK3, Doom, Street Fighter 2, etc......) Buying a Wii right now over the 360 is like buying the PS3 for $1,000. Its just not worth it yet.

P.S. If anybody tells you to buy the Wii for Zelda then I suggest you play it on the GC. Graphics are identical and the controls are so much better on the GC. And if any fanboy here tries to tell you otherwise its because they cant afford anything but a $250 system. Didnt the SNES cost $250 when it came out?

#20 Lethal, Dec 21, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006