Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wiikey fitted by total novice, wish me luck

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by spongmonkey, May 11, 2007.

1. spongmonkey

spongmonkey IT Geek

Hi all, i'm a new posted but have been lurking a researching for a while. I got my Wii just before Xmas and recently started to look into the Wiikey. Well i took the plunge and bought one, and all the soldering gear (I didn't know how to solder!)

Anyway, I've had 1.5 hrs practicing my soldering skills on really small contacts, well what I though were really small, and then I took my Wii apart and nearly died! Anyway I persevered and and fitted the chip just 10 minutes ago! I turned it on and it still plays my original Wiisports so that's a good sign, i'm burning the Wiikey setup disk to test the chip now :D

2. Half Empty

Half Empty CHAD SMITH IS KING!

Wii Friend Code: 7404-0035-3816-1331
    7404-0035-3816-1331
    I wish you luck, and I hope they don't make an update restricting mods.

3. adf3424sdff

adf3424sdff Guest

I think I am going to keep my wii mod-free. I dont want nintendo releasing an update that blocks the chip, I dont want to void the warranty and I dont want to risk my wii breaking.
    It's cool that you installed it and everything, good luck :thumbsup:
    Lee.j

4. spongmonkey

spongmonkey IT Geek

well i've just tested it with a backup and it works! It didn't work the first time but on closer inspection the wire on point 6 had come loose. all screwed back together now.

I'm not sure how Nintendo could release an update to stop the chip working as it's pretty transparent in the way it works and bridges points on the DVD player, but I'm sure they can find a way (luckily the chip is flashable so the chip makers can work around any potential block)

5. gamer_of_life

gamer_of_life Banned

They will, btw moding is 100% illegal in the US. Infact if wiichat admin get a hold of your IP, you could be fined.

6. rishi 20

rishi 20 Banned

wasnt there a virus or brick u can get for doing that i heard it makes some update thats not compatible to the wii

7. a30993

a30993 WiiChat?!!?! WHERE?!

Wii Friend Code: 4108-4051-0390-8129
    4108-4051-0390-8129

That was for PAL Wiis trying to play backups of Super Paper Mario NTSC.

It updated the firmware on the PAL Wii to be NTSC, and made the Wii's firmware high on mushrooms, then, when it crashed after being high, it tried to smoke shrooms again, but that liiiiitle chance you can die from smoking shrooms..

It happened.

8. adf3424sdff

adf3424sdff Guest

Sounds amazing apart from the dying part.. Hey, Could I have some of them mushrooms the wii smoked?
    lee.j

9. SadistBlue

SadistBlue WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7081-4874-6456-6678
    7081-4874-6456-6678
    Take note to use good media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim at slow speeds such as 4x for 8x rated. I had a fair number of games that had to be redone with label's and all so I could have discs that didn't decided to randomly DRE in the middle of playing. I was using a quality plextor burner (px-760a), that I was able to burn them at 18x. Which in the end was a no go.

10. Spiritshotgun

Spiritshotgun Yusuke Urameshi

Wii Friend Code: 3529-3597-6053-6688
    3529-3597-6053-6688
    Damn, there's already wii mod chips out?

11. dchao

dchao WiiChat Member

A large percentage of Wii will never connect to the Internet. How is Nintendo going to update these standalone console? :crazy:

12. dchao

dchao WiiChat Member

I don't see any point of modding a Wii in the US, as all the games and DVD's are out in the US first. However, modding is popular in Europe where games and DVD's are usually released 6 month late.

If Nintendo has never implemented regional coding, then there is no need for modding.

#12 dchao, May 12, 2007
    Last edited: May 12, 2007
  13. Guitarsmasher108

Guitarsmasher108 Generic Title

Wii Friend Code: 7159-9949-3697-1168
    7159-9949-3697-1168
    I'm with you lee.jarratt, i dont want to mod my wii either:thumbsup:

14. Half Empty

Half Empty CHAD SMITH IS KING!

Wii Friend Code: 7404-0035-3816-1331
    7404-0035-3816-1331
    Be fined for what? Wishing someone luck? Way to think...

By the way, I don't have a mod installed.

15. Haz

Haz Nintendo Encyclopedia

To answer many questions:

1. People Mod their Wii's so they can play copied / downloaded games. Only a small percentage Mod so they can play imports.

2. I doubt any WiiChat stuff would report those who Mod their console, this would be far too much effort, plus it would be pretty anal.

3. Nintendo could easily release a firmware update to counteract the Mod chip. However, I imagine if they do, it will be when Wii's are in high supply, thus forcing those who have Moded to purchase a new Wii.

4. Those who do not have access to the Internet... well if Nintendo really wanted to, they could include the firmware update with one of their titles, say Metroid or Super Smash Brothers. I.e. If you want to play the game, the disc will first flash the firmware.

5. I would Mod my Wii, but i) I am far too lazy too, and ii) I get free games anyway, so I have no real need to.

Personaly, I think the likely hood of Nintendo releasing a Mod chip block firmware update are so slim that I wouldn't really worry about it. Nintendo seem to 'fluffy' to do anything agressive.

16. mukeliller

mukeliller beep beep

good luck sponge! keep posting to let us know what happens... watching dvds? VC ok? Better internet browsing (d/l etc)?

17. spongmonkey

spongmonkey IT Geek

so, an update.

1. all my original games work
    2. the two US games I got cheap on Ebay now work
    3. I can play all my old SNES roms with an emulator without having to pay £5 a game on VC
    4. VC works fine as it always has done
    5. no change in internet browsing as far as I can tell
    6. I have ripped Zelda and Wario Smooth Moves, burned them back onto a DVD-R at 4X and they too work fine (so I don't just download games, I want to own the original but only use it once to backup, then it won't get scratched etc)
    7. I have downloaded SSX Blur and like it so much that i'm going to BUY it on Monday, I plan to do this with several games, if they suck they'll go in the bin, if you're good i'll actually go out and BUY THEM!
    8. As far as I know the modchip doesn't enable DVD playback but even if it did I doubt i'd use the Wii for that anyway, my £30 DVD player is far superior!

18. Haz

Haz Nintendo Encyclopedia

Sounds really good, however I really do hope Nintendo release a firmware update to counteract the Mods......

19. Wii_Smurf

Wii_Smurf No.1 Smurf

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Where have you been? Hiding with Bin Laden for the past like 5 months

20. adf3424sdff

adf3424sdff Guest

or years :lol: