Next-Gen Quagmire - sad state of the gaming industry?

chwisch87

Wii-Convert
Mar 7, 2007
Omaha, Ne
Wii Online Code
6294-2382-1290-6912
When i walk around your typical GameStop, this is what i find. The Xbox 360 actually has a game selection that is decent, the PS3 has only 3 titles that are worth 60 dollars, and the Wii has 10 games to choose from ... all of which i own.

I already have a Wii, however it hasn't been turned on a little under a month. Why? There are no games for that I want to play that I haven't already beat anyway or just got bored with. I like many gamers out there who haven't adopted a PS3 or 360 yet have become bored with my Wii.

Yes Galaxy is around the corner and Mario Kart is right after that, however in the meantime, my spare time has been devoted to that game of many addictions World of Warcraft.

My laptop computer however has no graphics card that is worth mentioning so it actually has a hard time running it. This only further complicates things.

So what do i buy, a PS3 or a 360 ... both of them have problems, big ones.

---

The Xbox 360 - Red Ring of Death, Red Ring of Death, oh and the Red Ring of Death. Nothing makes me not what to buy this console more than the thought of have to send it away for a month to get "repaired" because of some issue that Microsoft hasn't really explained.

Well, here is the problem; it's a fundamental flaw in the 360's design. Talk to any computer repair man and they will tell you exactly what is wrong with it. The shell casing for the 360 is to small and it's simply heating itself to death.

Other issues include the limitation of DVD and HD gaming. Space. Developers are already running into issues of trying to make an HD game that last for more than 20 hours of game time and putting it on the DVD format. Its impossible to make a 50 hour game in 1080p on a DVD disk. The Wii doesn't have this problem due to its lack of anything beyond 480p and the PS3 has like ... mega storage with Blu-Ray. Developers could put games on HD-DVD but how many people have bought the additional HD drive ... not many. Essentially you would be spending millions to sell a game to 10 people ... not going to happen.

---

The PS3 - Oh where to start. It sold 100,000 units in the US last month ... pretty bad compared 1.1 million combined sales of 360 and Wii consoles. Basically developers are now jumping ship on a console that is simply not selling and its beginning to look like dreamcast for the PS3. Sony has sold its cell broadband chip to its arch-rival Toshiba and it's only getting worst for a company deeply in trouble.

There are 3 games worth getting and lack of games is its undoing.

It's not to say that the PS3 isn't worth it, assuming Blu-ray becomes the next movie format, it wouldn't be a bad idea getting one. Of course i don't have an HDTV yet and likely won't for a while.

The lack of games is what stops me from getting one. The only really good games for the consoles come from Sony themselves (all 2 of them?) ... oddly enough similar situation as Nintendo. Heavenly Sword is a graphical marvel but its not without its issues. Basically it's not as good as it should be and not worth buying a console over.

The hardware impresses me ... a lot ... with Blu-ray it doesn't have the storage issues of DVD. It's only missing games.

If Sony can keep it alive, it could eventually kick ass but ... :crazy:

---

I think I'm just going to take my money elsewhere at this rate. :rolleyes:

chwisch87 said:
If Sony can keep it alive, it could eventually kick ass but ... :crazy:

---

well that pretty much sums up my thoughts on it , Ill be sticking with my wii and old xbox until the quality and array ps3 games picks up . I know theres not a great ammount of decent wii games out but the next few months i feel we will see that change considerably

Really until 30th NOVEMBER Medal of Honour Heroes 2, theres nothing to look forward to, or nothing to play.
When people say that the wii sucks i dont argue back anymore..

I play war rock now, best game in the world.

Funny thing is there is more than 10 Wii games out there.
And many of them are decent.
I'll list at least ten and see if you have these ones.
Twilight Princess.
Metroid Prime 3.
Resident Evil 4.
Super Paper Mario.
Godfather Blackhand Edition.
Scarface.
Madden NFL 08.
Mario Strikers Charged.
Red Steel.
NBA 08.

Those are at least 10 games I have enjoyed playing, and there are many new releases other than Galaxy and Mario Kart.
Battalion Wars 2.
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground.
Smackdown vs. Raw 2008.
Guitar Hero 3.
etc.

The Wii isn't doing that bad in the games department, now if this was last year around November and you were saying this I would agree with you that there was no good games.

Its more of finding what you like, and maybe taking a risk and playing ones you are unsure of.
Don't limit yourself.

You could find some friends to come over an play Wii Sports with you.
That seems to work for a lot of people and just happens to be what Nintendo is trying to do. Get people to interact with others in the flesh and enjoy playing a game.

i'd say that if you want to get another system, get a 360. thats an easy decision. i've heard the rumors about them overheating and i'm yet to see it happen. If you're really that worried about it overheating, by the usb fan that ataches to the back. Also, keep it in an open area, not a closed up cabinet so the air flows in and around it easily.

chwisch87 said:
my spare time has been devoted to that game of many addictions World of Warcraft.

Ill tell you right now quit that game firstly it wastes tons of your time and think about it this way when your done with that game you could end up racking about $300 on that game

Also Battalion wars is coming out Oct. 29 This should be a game to keep you ocuppied (online)
Medal of Honor heroes 2 Nov 13th if you like FPS (online)
Soul Calibur legends should also be pretty good i think nov 12th which has co-op
Galaxy is also coming out in november
and then SSBB and Mariokart should both be good.

CantGetAWii said:
Funny thing is there is more than 10 Wii games out there.
And many of them are decent.
I'll list at least ten and see if you have these ones.
Twilight Princess.
Metroid Prime 3.
Resident Evil 4.
Super Paper Mario.
Godfather Blackhand Edition.
Scarface.
Madden NFL 08.
Mario Strikers Charged.
Red Steel.
NBA 08.

Those are at least 10 games I have enjoyed playing, and there are many new releases other than Galaxy and Mario Kart.
Battalion Wars 2.
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground.
Smackdown vs. Raw 2008.
Guitar Hero 3.
etc.

The Wii isn't doing that bad in the games department, now if this was last year around November and you were saying this I would agree with you that there was no good games.

Its more of finding what you like, and maybe taking a risk and playing ones you are unsure of.
Don't limit yourself.
well I deffinetly would say that the wii would fail when it first came out. Since it had barely any worth games. Look this is how I see it, the wii games (good ones at least) tend to some in waves. Like this Christmas season most amazing games are gonna come out IMO.

But yea the PS3 is seeming to fail I know. But is it just me or does the sony dilemma seem a bit familiar? The sony PS2 had much much potential but it started out very very slow. I remember I got a PS2 about a half a year after its release. It was still very boring and stayed like that for about another year maybe a bit less. And now looks what happened to the PS2 it did excellent and had so many games and good ones too. Now its dieing like a normal older console would do. So my opinion on the PS3 is that I predict it do almost do the exact same thing the PS2 did but I could very well be wrong you never know but thats what I think.

masonb15 said:
If you buy a new 360, it has a new, better heatsink in it which will eliminate the problem of the RROD. You can see if an Xbox 360 has the newer heatsink by using this guide
http://benheck.com/08-02-2007/see-i...eatsink-without-voiding-the-precious-warranty
You wish...
It hasn't eliminated anything, it only reduces your chances of getting the RRoD.

I was in the same boat as you though Chwisch. I was getting bored with the Wii, had nothing to play, so I went and bought a 360. Of course i'll still play the Wii when the games I want are out, but the 360 is a nice piece of hardware. :wink:
I'd get a 360 just because you can get an in story warranty on it, and if it does crap out on you, just go in and return it for a new one. That's just me though.

The Wii will have some games coming out really soon like everyone else said, it's just a matter of time. (Few weeks really) I'm personally excited for a bunch of the Wii games coming out and can't wait.

I want the 360 bad... Don't get me wrong I love my Wii but, like allready mentioned we don't get the damn games we want. Ace combat, armored core, Forza, Halo, are just a few of the games that I have played and those alone are better than anything we have so far for the Wii, and enough to make me want to go out and get a 360 if I had the money. But I guess Nintendo has done a good job since they got me to spend my money on them first!

hmm. . . well if you don't have a portable system they're great for a backup system.

Also there are a lot of good looking games coming out such as Bwii, MOH, fire emblem, galaxy, etc.

try out a nice handheld maybe?

but if i was going to reccomend a system id say PS3, but if theres only 3 games youd like for that..then a 360. BUT BUY THE GAMESTOP ONE YEAR FOR $50! that way you dont have to wait a month and you can just get a brand new console in store whenever it gets the RROD. mine got it second day, (seven day warrenty still in effect) then it went away when i took it to gamestop to trade and they told me keep it for a few days to see if it happens again. it didnt. i played it ten hours straight last night, wasnt even hot.

so yeah, id say 360 is best for you.

i remember only having my wii, gettign bored with all the games, wishing it had cool ps3 or 360 games. nwo i dont have to think about that all the time and i can really enjoy the wii exclusives without feeling left out on the other next-gen games/graphics.

i mean, yea, i really want a next-gen graphics system. But ... what to get.

Back