Wiikey fitted by total novice, wish me luck

gamer_of_life said:
They will, btw moding is 100% illegal in the US. Infact if wiichat admin get a hold of your IP, you could be fined.

This is such extreme BS it isn't even funny. ANYTHING you purchase you can mod, change, smash, whatever you want. What is illegal is selling items that are designed soley to circumvent DRM.

Second, Wiichat admins can get your IP easily, what they can't do is fine anyone. In fact, law enforcement needs to subpoena wiichat to get the IP address, then subpoena your ISP records to see who had that IP at the time in question. Assuming of course a law has been broken. Since no laws have been broken by the starter of the thread, no subpoenas will be sought or issued.

piracy is good

cause it will change the gaming industry for the better.

Right now for a 50$ Wii game you buy at the store, the reseller takes about 20$, Nintendo takes about 10$ and the game developper gets less than 20$.

If Nintendo were to sell the games as legal downloads for less than 10$ each, they would then probably sell at least twice as many games, thus game developpers would be able to earn more money than they do now. And it would enable smaller game developpers to release games more easilly, as well as it enables game developpers to later release updates for games.

The best solution would actually be if Nintendo provided a 15$ per month subscription fee to access all the Wii games, as well as the user gets access to some online gaming services, this would be like XboX Live, but with the whole range of games being accessible for free in the subscription fee. One could then copy the encrypted game image files from any BitTorrents, copy from friends hard disk drives, copy to ones hard disk drive or burn from Wii game electronic automatic machines that could be placed all over the place, in stores, in supermarkets and otherwise where the machine can sell the service of transfering the games onto a usb hard disk drive, onto DVD or HDDVD discs, that service per game could be like 5$ with a small copyright fee going to Nintendo. The game developper would just be paid according to the popularity of their games being played as detected by the Wii's that are connected to the Internet, as well as quality, popularity of games can be really well measured this way to really reward the best game developpers and the most innovative and engaging games.

Charbax said:

Right now for a 50$ Wii game you buy at the store, the reseller takes about 20$, Nintendo takes about 10$ and the game developper gets less than 20$.

If Nintendo were to sell the games as legal downloads for less than 10$ each, they would then probably sell at least twice as many games, thus game developpers would be able to earn more money than they do now. And it would enable smaller game developpers to release games more easilly, as well as it enables game developpers to later release updates for games.

The best solution would actually be if Nintendo provided a 15$ per month subscription fee to access all the Wii games, as well as the user gets access to some online gaming services, this would be like XboX Live, but with the whole range of games being accessible for free in the subscription fee. One could then copy the encrypted game image files from any BitTorrents, copy from friends hard disk drives, copy to ones hard disk drive or burn from Wii game electronic automatic machines that could be placed all over the place, in stores, in supermarkets and otherwise where the machine can sell the service of transfering the games onto a usb hard disk drive, onto DVD or HDDVD discs, that service per game could be like 5$ with a small copyright fee going to Nintendo. The game developper would just be paid according to the popularity of their games being played as detected by the Wii's that are connected to the Internet, as well as quality, popularity of games can be really well measured this way to really reward the best game developpers and the most innovative and engaging games.

... lol

Charbax said:

WTF??!? Are you high?

dchao said:
I don't see any point of modding a Wii in the US, as all the games and DVD's are out in the US first. However, modding is popular in Europe where games and DVD's are usually released 6 month late.

If Nintendo has never implemented regional coding, then there is no need for modding.

are you realy that ignorant or just plain stupid... how about downloading/burning games, so you can get your games for free? You know, no money needed? Comprende?

modding wii's will just damage the industry. Just look at what happened to the dreamcast. Everyone started modding the console, and guess what? It died, dreamcast went under... even though so many people owned the console.

it's in nintendo's best interest to find people who have modded the wii, and brick them

Yuu said:
modding wii's will just damage the industry. Just look at what happened to the dreamcast. Everyone started modding the console, and guess what? It died, dreamcast went under... even though so many people owned the console.

it's in nintendo's best interest to find people who have modded the wii, and brick them
You didn't need to mod the dreamcast to play pirate games on it.

The reason why the Dreamcast failed is nothing to do with its piracy issues, but Segas incompetence from 1993 to 1998.

Shaker.

shaker said:
You didn't need to mod the dreamcast to play pirate games on it.

The reason why the Dreamcast failed is nothing to do with its piracy issues, but Segas incompetence from 1993 to 1998.

Shaker.

lol he is so right..i got unreal tourrnement on dreamcast on a cd-rw..and it is not modded...and the dream cast kinda blew......you realy need to know what you are talking about. Most of you dont know what modding dose Yuo here its for back ups, but realy its just a cover word for "download"

spongmonkey said:
well i've just tested it with a backup and it works! It didn't work the first time but on closer inspection the wire on point 6 had come loose. all screwed back together now.

I'm not sure how Nintendo could release an update to stop the chip working as it's pretty transparent in the way it works and bridges points on the DVD player, but I'm sure they can find a way (luckily the chip is flashable so the chip makers can work around any potential block)

Congrats. Stick around for a while because we need more people like you! Ignore the haters and you'll do just fine.

dchao said:
I don't see any point of modding a Wii in the US, as all the games and DVD's are out in the US first. However, modding is popular in Europe where games and DVD's are usually released 6 month late.
Mario strikers was the first online playable game ever and it came out in Europe first.... maybe you should edit your post?

Haz said:
To answer many questions:
1. People Mod their Wii's so they can play copied / downloaded games. Only a small percentage Mod so they can play imports.
This generalization is invalid. If you narrow the country to China I agree. If you say Australia you are ass backwards. I'm tempted to show you a picture of my PS2 game library. You might be surprised how many games I own considering my console can play copied discs.

Haz said:
2. I doubt any WiiChat stuff would report those who Mod their console, this would be far too much effort, plus it would be pretty anal.
Not to mention pointless. Modifications are not illegal in every country. In fact some have sent their modified Wii back to Nintendo for repairs.

Haz said:
3. Nintendo could easily release a firmware update to counteract the Mod chip.
Two questions - 1. Are you new to console gaming? (mod chips and their makers have been playing this game for a long time) 2. If you understood how the Wii modchip is working you wouldn't have even written this

Haz said:
4. Those who do not have access to the Internet... well if Nintendo really wanted to, they could include the firmware update with one of their titles,
There are MANY titles that already inculde firmware updates. They have existed since last year.

Haz said:
5. I would Mod my Wii, but i) I am far too lazy too, and ii) I get free games anyway, so I have no real need to.
It makes perfect sense why you think everyone with a modchip is also a theif. Not everyone has the same mindset as you.

Yuu said:

Your post is so wrong I am lazy to write a decent reply. This will have to do - The Dreamcast didnt even NEED a modchip to play backup games. You can take an off the shelf system, burn the CD the right way and VOILA bootable games. BTW a new DC games are still being made.... Sega was even selling DCs on their website not too long ago.
The Dreamcast died for other reasons. If you really believe that modifying the console kills it then how can you explain the PS2?

Last edited:
lee.jarratt said:
I think I am going to keep my wii mod-free. I dont want nintendo releasing an update that blocks the chip, I dont want to void the warranty and I dont want to risk my wii breaking.
It's cool that you installed it and everything, good luck :thumbsup:
Lee.j

Good post , i would add "I dont want to break my Wii" :yesnod:

dchao said:
Unfortunately, right now, you are breaking the laws by installing the WiiKey yourself. If you get caught, be ready to use your Rights of Fair Use .

Please show where you get your information. Last I read relating to current copyright and anti-piracy laws, hardware mods are NOT illegal to own/install. I teach IT and we get all the latest legal updates on this stuff. I'm required to stay current and there's nothing on the books yet.

What is illegal is having/using duplicates of digital media. Digital media does not cover analog broadcasts such as non-hd over-the-air TV or radio. However, if you are duplicating shows off digital cable, since the signal you are duping came to you digitally, it's illegal for you to share it or store it for replay later. Fair Use ONLY applies to Non-Digital sources.

Mod Chips are NOT illegal in the US. Show me the laws which state otherwise and I will bow to your superior knowledge.

Just like states where radar detectors are illegal to own/buy, if they were, one would not be able to buy them in the US. Mod chips are not governed by any anti-piracy laws and numerous lawsuits against the manufacturers have failed in US courts. In legal words, judges have stated that mod chips are not the method used to circumvent the copyrights, only to take advantage of ALREADY pirated material.

The act of copying/distributing/receiving/owning the media is what's illegal. US laws don't forbid the USE of pirated material, only receiving/owning it. In otherwords, it doesn't matter if you PLAY the pirated game, just having it is breaking the law.

Now, all that said, modchips are in violation of the console's user agreement license. However, it's not a legally punishable offense.

Whoa, big arguments here. Still, i'm thinking about modding my Wii in a few years, when my warranty runs out, many games are out for the wii, my wii will be old, and it's easy to just buy another wii.

What i'm seriously thinking about now, is modding my GC. I hear that it's pretty hard, considering all the wires and etc.

FireFreek said:
What i'm seriously thinking about now, is modding my GC. I hear that it's pretty hard, considering all the wires and etc.

You will be happy to know that you are wrong :)
The Wii and Gamecube are essentially twins. Modification of either one is nearly the same!

Back