British English vs American English

xD So... In every other case the American dialect evolved?
I meant in general- in most cases it was the British spelling/meaning that changed. For example, the word "football" originally referred to a sport somewhat like American football.

We like our Francais, not Greek. How much you hate to admit it, Navarre.
French is okay, but I prefer Greek. It's the language of science, after all.

British English > American English.
Written American English is just lazy but I love it when Americans talk .. .. .. .. calling trousers 'pants' and their bottom a 'fanny' :lol: *

*yes I'm very childish
Who says fanny anymore?

^I don't think I have heard someone say fanny in my life.

British English > American English.
Written American English is just lazy but I love it when Americans talk .. .. .. .. calling trousers 'pants' and their bottom a 'fanny' :lol:

*yes I'm very childish

Ohhkaaay.

Northern England is the loverly place I'm from, and we say pants for "trousers", unless you're just TRYING to be posh. I think Jack might fall in the category. So yes, pants for me. Underwear DOES NOT EQUAL PANTS, it does in the south. I just laugh when I hear this.

North: Dance
South: Daaarrrnnce

Generally, the more pompous and stereotyped pronunciations are from the south. ;)

Ohhkaaay.

Northern England is the loverly place I'm from, and we say pants for "trousers", unless you're just TRYING to be posh. I think Jack might fall in the category. So yes, pants for me. Underwear DOES NOT EQUAL PANTS, it does in the south. I just laugh when I hear this.
I never actually knew you Northerners call them pants. To us in the south though, they're trousers, and underwear is pants.

North: Dance
South: Daaarrrnnce
Who uses an 'r' in dance?

Generally, the more pompous and stereotyped pronunciations are from the south. ;)
Listen to someone with a Cardiff accent and tell me it sounds pompous.

I never actually knew you Northerners call them pants. To us in the south though, they're trousers, and underwear is pants.

Who uses an 'r' in dance?

Listen to someone with a Cardiff accent and tell me it sounds pompous.

Haha, who said I was bringing Wales into it? Just explaining that there's a difference between northern and southern English. Don't get me started on the differences between everywhere else here! I haven't been to south Wales, so I don't know if there's a difference between the north - although the north is more keen on keeping their language alive.

The dance thing is just like almost everyone in the Commonwealth (spare Canada because of their close proximity to Yanksville) says can't. The way we stress the a in can't is what people use in dance, grass, pass, anything like that. Every stereotypical English accent says daaahhhnce, grahhss and paahhss when I think it's quite funny. Northerners would die if they said it like that.

I mean, eeww. Some of the British pronunciations on that site make me shudder.

I don't get how Americans call it posh though, when they say things like pasta with a stupid pahhsta in. The word is clearly passta.

American dialect is easier to understand.
British dialect is more proper.

I think it's pretty stupid to say one is "better". You're obviously just going to say the one you were raised with.

American dialect is easier to understand.
British dialect is more proper.

I think it's pretty stupid to say one is "better". You're obviously just going to say the one you were raised with.

I pretty much agree with everything in this quote.

Haha, who said I was bringing Wales into it? Just explaining that there's a difference between northern and southern English. Don't get me started on the differences between everywhere else here! I haven't been to south Wales, so I don't know if there's a difference between the north - although the north is more keen on keeping their language alive.
It's true Wales has its own accents/dialect to consider, but generally people in the north/south thing in England applies to Wales as well (even the Welsh language has north and south dialects).

If you want to imagine the Cardiff accent, it kinda sounds a bit like a mix between Liverpudlian and South Wales Valleys (the stereotypical Welsh accent). So of course, it sounds horrible.

Back