Pokemon of the Week

Pokemon of the Week #27 (7/15/2013)

Crustle

180px-558Crustle.png

Crustle, the Stone Home Pokemon. It possesses legs of enormous strength, enabling it to carry heavy slabs for many days, even when crossing arid land. When they compete for territory, Crustle fight viciously. The one whose boulder is broken is the loser of the battle.

I'm pretty neutral towards Crustle. Its design is okay, I don't particularly like or dislike it. It has an unusually square rock shell, but in all honesty, although it looks odd, I think it works better aesthetically for Crustle than a round shell would. It's somewhat obviously based on a hermit crab. I always seem to forget that it's a crustacean, I only think of Kingler, Crawdaunt, and Clauncher when I think of crustacean Pokemon. Also, it can be seen here without a shell.

Competitively, Crustle has quite a bit going for it. It has rock solid physical defense, as you would expect from looking at its design. To compliment this bulk, it knows both Spikes and Stealth Rock, allowing it to be a very competent entry hazard setter, especially in the lower tiers. Its typing, while not good, could be a lot worse. Sadly, it has no means of recovery outside of Leftovers, which is a major issue many defensive Pokemon face. Crustle can also go on the all out offensive with its good attack stat, and more importantly, its access to Shell Smash. Although it is slow, it is not as slow as another "hermit crab" Pokemon, allowing it to outspeed even Crobat after using Shell Smash. For attacking moves, viable options include Stone Edge, Rock Slide, X-Scissor, Earthquake, and a few generally less useful moves, such as Shadow Claw and Aerial Ace.

Dwebble

180px-557Dwebble.png

Dwebble, the Rock Inn Pokemon (...the inn part seems a bit random, even if it is supposed to be a bad pun). This Pokémon can easily melt holes in hard rocks with a liquid secreted from its mouth. When it finds a stone of a suitable size, it uses this liquid to open up a hole to crawl into. If that rock breaks, the Pokémon remains agitated until it locates a replacement.

I suppose I prefer Dwebble's design over Crustle's. It's fairly cute, and looks more like a hermit crab than its evolution. It can be seen here without a shell, demonstrating its rock dissolving abilities.

I don't know that much about Little Cup. Dwebble has a high attack and defense compared to other Little Cup Pokemon, and has access to Spikes and Stealth Rock like its evolution, so I imagine that it would be used at least a little. Humorously enough, Dwebble is actually slightly faster than Crustle, and has a roughly average speed stat for Little Cup, meaning that it can outspeed even Choice Scarf Pokemon after a Shell Smash, a problem that most Shell Smash users face.

HE POSTS!

Crustle and 'specially Dwebble's designs aren't particularly grand, but I s'pose hermit crabs aren't really grand things. 'Least Crustle goes the extra mile to display just exactly how very Rock-type it is with that absurdly peculiar stratum-based shell design, I do like that much about it. Gen 6 better give flavor text explainin' why it's shell looks like that. Also, I bloody love Crustle's shiny sprite.

It has rock solid physical defense

*Kricketot chirping*

Base as the pun is, I still wholly approve.

Gen 6 better give flavor text explainin' why it's shell looks like that.
Reading the interesting facts in the New Leaf museum about fossils, fish, and insects really makes me hate the Pokedex. It's basically just two or three (often generic) facts about a Pokemon repeated with different wording throughout all the entries. I would be really interested in learning details about the biology/behavior/etc of Pokemon, but Game Freak just can't provide us with that, can they?

RSE's two-page dex entries were a step in the right direction (omaikarp rse did somethin write), but then they went back on it...

Even then, dex entries really ain't enough, I wholeheartedly agree. But that's where Bulbapedia Trivia comes in.

RSE's two-page dex entries were a step in the right direction (omaikarp rse did somethin write), but then they went back on it...

Even then, dex entries really ain't enough, I wholeheartedly agree. But that's where Bulbapedia Trivia comes in.
I know I fanboy over Gamefreak, but I get annoyed with all the obvious mistakes they have failed to correct over the course of their game-making history.

Sceenshot7_zps8a2e98c2.png~original

Why, I'm glad you asked! Some other obvious mistakes include:

• Lack of good plot ****
  • Previously mentioned Pokedex thing
  • Failure to correct obvious GTS issues (such as people requesting a lv.9 and under Mew)
  • Failure to make a multiplayer battle mode (at least, in Gen V, not sure about Gen IV) that matches levels AND allows you to use all six Pokemon
  • Insistence to keep making mediocre spin offs as opposed to things like Pokemon Stadium 3, a new 3D console game, etc. At least, this is an obvious mistake to me.
  • Failure to make triple and rotation battles prominent in game

Those are some of them. I mean, all game developing companies make mistakes, but I feel like Gamefreak fails to fix these mistakes more than most of them.

You flatter me, puttin' so much work in t' edit my flawless posts into n00b-glorifyin' gibberish.

Why, I'm glad you asked! Some other obvious mistakes include:

Lack of good plot ****

Lack of plot up 'til BW was intentional. You saw what Chunsoft did with Pogeymanz, there's boundless potential for plot in a game with 649+ characters (speakin' of Mystery Dungeon, you have no right t' diss this particular spin-off series).

Failure to correct obvious GTS issues (such as people requesting a lv.9 and under Mew)

... If legitimate cloning is taken out, my shiny cloning shenanigans will be a moot point. I don't want that. ;_; 'Course, I obviously understand the point of anyone anti-cloning. Yours as well.

Failure to make a multiplayer battle mode (at least, in Gen V, not sure about Gen IV) that matches levels AND allows you to use all six Pokemon

srsly

Insistence to keep making mediocre spin offs as opposed to things like Pokemon Stadium 3, a new 3D console game, etc. At least, this is an obvious mistake to me.

See above comment on Mystery Dungeon.

That, and milkin' the franchise with shitty spin-offs isn't as horrible as ya think. Game Freak hasn't developed any of them. Their manpower is completely focused on the mainstay RPGs, nor do they have anythin' to do with the disasters that are Ranger (Almia was alright though), Pokemon Channel, etc. The only real drawback to franchise-milking is the tainting of reputation.

Failure to make triple and rotation battles prominent in game

Been a problem since the introduction of Double battles. It certainly is worse with Triple/Rotation though, I don't think there's a single important plot battle that uses 'em... I concur, it's unacceptable that we're always doin' single battles. Sky battles will go the same route sadly; understandably so since not all teams have a leveled Flying-type/Levitating Pokemon, but sad none the less.

I didn't mention doubles because at least the Gamecube games exclusively use them. And I like Mystery Dungeon too, I wasn't trying to bash it.

Regarding the shitty spin offs, I'm also annoyed that the manpower going into them isn't going towards more important projects. But as you said, that's not really Gamefreak's fault. I kind of forgot to what extent Gamefreak was involved with those, my bad.

You flatter me, puttin' so much work in t' edit my flawless posts into n00b-glorifyin' gibberish.
All I did is edit the HTML code my computer was displaying. I'm not an HTML wizard (yet ;; ), but that's a pretty simple procedure.

Pokemon of the Week #28 (7/22/2013)

Kecleon

180px-352Kecleon.png

Kecleon, the Color Swap Pokemon. It uses its long tongue to ensnare prey. However, this is not the trait they are well known for. Kecleon is capable of changing its body colors at will to blend in with its surroundings. There are two imperfections with this ability, however - this Pokémon can't change the zigzag pattern on its belly. It will also lose the camouflage if startled.

I like Kecleon. Not a lot, but I do really want to use it sometime. Its design is pretty unremarkable, but that's not a bad thing at all. The unaware looking, somewhat derpy face is one thing I like about it. Aside from that I can't think of a way to accurately describe why I like it, I just do. It has a simple design that works. It's obviously based on a chameleons, which it resembles both aesthetically and in abilities/behavior. Chameleons have stellar camouflage abilities, as well as long tongue which is used to capture insects and sometimes other small animals.

Onto the competitive section! Kecleon has never been very good competitively. Not because it doesn't stand out, oh no, it is most certainly a totally unique Pokemon. Anyone who disagrees that Kecleon is one of the most unique Pokemon gameplay-wise is stupid. Stupid. Kecleon's ability, Color Change, changes its type to match the attack it was last hit with. For example, being hit with Aurora Beam will cause it to become an Ice-type, while being hit with Cross Chop will [strike]faint it[/strike] cause it to become Fighting-type. This ability is both a blessing and a curse. A benefit of this ability is that, among other things, it can allow to to better manage Pokemon that rely on STAB attacks (since a lot of types are not very effective against themselves, ie. Electric) or Pokemon with Choice Scarf/Choice Specs due to the aformentioned point (anything with a Choice Band will almost certainly crush it). There are more situations in which the ability could be useful, but it's complicated, so I'll just leave it at that for now. Disadvantages of Color Change are present as well, as stated before, particularly with Dragon-types and Pokemon with wide offensive coverage. Dragon is super effective against itself, so I do believe you can understand why it's especially bad for Kecleon to be struck with a dragon-type attack. I would say the same for Ghost, but Kecleon is immune to ghost-types attacks after being sent out, so most of the time this shouldn't be an issue. Regarding Pokemon with wide coverage, let's say you have a Lanturn. It uses Surf, turning you into a Water-type. It then proceeds to follow up with Discharge, which is now super effective due to Kecleon's type change. There are many other examples.

I think I've talked enough about Kecleon's somewhat difficult to analyze ability. In short, Color Change can indeed be useful even though it has obvious drawbacks. Let's move on to other aspects of Kecleon. Kecleon has a great Sp. Defense stat, which, although it is somewhat let down by a low HP, can let Kecleon take special attacks pretty well. It's actually quite fast, boasting the same game-breaking speed as Forretress. Honestly, it doesn't look nearly that slow appearance wise, but whatever. Looking at its average Attack and somewhat depressing physical defense, it's clear that Kecleon should be used as a special wall of sorts. It can actually do this to some success, having a very wide support movepool that most defensive Pokemon would kill to have, consisting of Recover, Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, Toxic, Trick Room, Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Magic Coat, Disable, Trick, Knock Off, Snatch, Attract, and Swagger. With all these moves, (sometimes) Color Change, and good special bulk it can be a decent support Pokemon in the lower tiers. I do believe its biggest drawback is its physical frailness, and sometimes Color Change. Going back to Color Change again, it's almost entirely bad offensively in my opinion, simply because getting hit by an attack (that isn't normal-type) will rob you of your STAB bonus. Kecleon has a boosting move in Hone Claws, and a good physical movepool consisting of Return, Fake Out, Aqua Tail, Drain Punch, all three elemental punches, Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, and more, but as stated, with your STAB move not always being a STAB move, you're going to have big issues. I would say that a Choice Band set would work, but since you can really only switch into special attacks, and most common special attacking types are weak against themselves...it might be fun, but sticking with support Kecleon will probably help you more in the long run.

that was long

In short:

• Kecleon is best used as a specially defensive support Pokemon
  • Color Change is a mixed bag
  • Offensive variants of Kecleon struggle with STAB consistency
  • Kecleon is mostly outclassed by Pokemon with better physical bulk and an ability that will never screw them over
  • Colossal movepool

Last edited:
This PotW is specifically for Trago's birthday. I know I missed the deadline by a day, sorry bro... ;_;

Pokemon of the Week #29 (4/1/2014)

Whimsicott

600px-547Whimsicott.png

Whimsicott, the Windveiled Pokemon. Riding whirlwinds, they appear. Like the wind, it can slip through any gap, no matter how small. These mischievous Pokémon abuse their elasticity to sneak into houses and cause all sorts of mischief, pulling pranks such as moving furniture and leaving balls of cotton everywhere.

I seem to be doin' quite a few PotW on Pokes I like... but 'ey, Trago requested it, t'is fair game.

What a fitting 'mon for April Fools'! Infamous for its trollish priority-SubSeed shenanigans, the only thing moar wholesomely trollsome than this adorable, Prankster-abusin' bastard is another Prankster user: SwagKey... but, t'is a topic for some other PotW NickwilleventuallydobecausehesadickwhodoesntRNG.

Note that Whimsicott is the sole cutemon I ever gab on about; as such, y'all should already know I'm a fan of its design. Its disgustingly cute with those beaming eyes, its fluffy body Storm... -_-; and signature "hug? =D" pose... even its cry is impossibly kawaii desu. If a hates-everything-happy guy, who has zero affinity for Grass-types has no issue with destroyin' his masculinity and cuddling with a life-sized plush of it, surely everyone else must love this 'mon just as much, if not more?

... ... ... Aaaaaaanyways, Whimsicott's design is based on a few things. First and foremost, it's obviously a ball of cotton; as a Grass-type that learns Cotton Guard, this is obvious. Secondly, it appears to take some of its appearance from that of the common sheep: note the green tufts around its head, which resemble a ram's horns. Though the fluff on Whimsicott's body is clearly derived from cotton, it also befitting refers to a sheep's wool. Knowing that its origin lies both with sheep and plant, you could link its design to the "Vegetable Lamb of Tartary", an absurd-looking fern which grows to resemble a sheep. Centuries back in the days of mythology and folklore, people thought an actual sheep grew from the plant, flesh 'n all, the stem which connected it to the plant acting as a permanent umbilical cord. Being that Whimsicott's design is part plant and part sheep, Whimsicott's aesthetics may be a reference to that queer plant.

The Prankster-quality associated with a Whimsicott's whimsical personality may be attributed to another piece of legend: the "Saci" of Brazilian folklore. This magical dude is apparently a prankster whom travels via dust devil. This is to say he rides about on whirlwinds to get around and, upon reaching a destination, trolls people. That's Whimsicott's M.O., and thus your connection. Whimsicott's design reaches into some surprisingly out-there stuff, don't it?

In a competitive environment, winning Master-rank Cute Pokemon Contests is irrelevant. Whimsicott isn't a particularly amazing Poke for a number of reasons. First and foremost, there're other Prankster abusers that do things Whimsicott can't, giving it stiff competition for the support role it fills. Its main opponenets are Sableye, whom gets priority WoW, better typing, and most importantly, a reliable recovery move. Another competitor is found in the infamous Klefki. Though it lacks a recovery move, this locksmith's best friend has many more resistances, an immunity to Whimsicott's 4x Poison-type weakness, and is just a tad bulkier. By and far, Whimsicott's biggest weakness is its inability to deal significant damage to opponents: though it learns Taunt itself, it's still Taunt bait. Both aforementioned Pranksters learn Foul Play, one gettin' STAB on said move, allowing them to heavily damage or even outright KO a good few offensive checks. Whimsicott can't do this, meaning it can give the opponent free momentum if a certain foe it can't touch appears. As the metagame grows more offensive every Generation, this can be a big enough liability to lose ya the game.

One can't forget about Breloom either, who packs a disgusting wallop from behind a Substitute with Focus Punch, or can just hit hard in general with its Sky Uppercut-high Attack stat. It also has better healing than Whimsicott in the form of Poison Heal, which also has the benefit of makin' it status proof at all times. Most notably, speakin' of status, [STRIKE]Breloom[/STRIKE] Shroomish (Breloom's pre-evolve form) learns one of the most dangerous status move in the game: Spore. Whimsicott may have priority, but it lacks such a broken move... in fact, Whimsicott doesn't get a sleep-inducing move at all. For good reason obviously, as priority sleep is broken.

While Whimsicott is by no means OU due to its flaws and competition, it still has some nutty tools to abuse; namely the aforementioned SubSeed strategy. Even if one has a Taunter at the ready, a Whimsicott that Leech Seeds on the switch, Protects, and then Substitutes and/or U-turns will deal a significant amount of passive damage before safely running off to a team mate, taking little-to-no damage in the process, possibly even RECOVERING some hit points. Combine this with other forms of entry hazard damage, and Whimsicott is one of the ultimate annoyers. Let's not even mention SwaggerSubSeed, I don't want t' hate my favorite Grass-type.

Whimsicott's dex entries describe it as being a troll: Game Freak most assuredly translated this into its battling style aplomb. It may not be top tier due to its low stats and lack of recovery, but holy Mother'a Magikarp is this cute ****er a rage-inducing prick on the battlefield. Taunt it 'fore it starts taunting your helpless team from behind endless Substitutes, or you'll end up blatantly screwed. For a Poke that's hit tiers as low as RU, this thing's scary. Wouldn't expect that from somethin' so adorable, would ya?

<3 whimsicott but im not doing cottonee cause whimsicott is millions tiemz bettar and im lazy lel

Maybe I should do a couple of PotW

*ASTHMA ATTACK*

Back