Premier League Football Talk

1 - 0 Liverpool, CMON LIVERPOOL!!!

Can't believe Man U lost their match :(

...Liverpool should've won that, was definitely not a penalty.

Last edited:
Gaz said:
ok no need to be an idiot. he didn't deserve to get sent off, seeing as how there was no contact or minimul at all, the reason he did it is because of Hughes holding onto him before the corner, which the reff could clearly see and did nothing about, it was a must win game for united, and we didn't win in the end, his heart was in the right place, just a shame the sport has gone to a place where an intention of bodily contact is practically a sending off.

are you supprised everton is at the top? they are a very strong team, and were in the runnings for the title in the first half last year as well.
How am I being an idiot please? He did deserve to get sent off, you can't aim a head-butt at someone and not expect to be punished, regardless of how much or little contact there was. I would like you to show me a game where there is not one offence of a defender holding an attacker before a corner, AND where the referee takes action. Go on, just one. It happens week in week out, it happens in every level of football, from Sunday league to the World Cup final. I'm not saying its right, but it happens and nothing is done about it, so now you just have to get on with it. How can you possibly say that, a player who aims a head-butt at another professional, "his heart was in the right place"? I'd like to see what he'd do if his heart was in the wrong place. "...an intention of bodily contact is practically a sending off." Erm, well yeah, if Cristiano Ronaldo, for example, ran up full speed to Hughes, tensed his right aim with all his might, and attempted a enormous clothesline that would take Hughes' head off, however, Hughes ducked at the last second, should Cristiano Ronaldo be sent off? Well according to you he shouldn't, he intended bodily contact didn't he, but he didn't connect, therefore its perfectly fine. Erm. No.

Everton are not a "very strong team". In all fairness they're a good side who manage to grind out results. Without Arteta they'd be awful.

I am not even going to begin to comment on the Liverpool game, other than congratulations Nando, what a goal and there'll be plenty more where that came from. In fact yes I am, but I will control myself because I'll probably get banned or something for foul and abusive language. That penalty decision was one of the worst decisions I have EVER seen in the history of me watching the game. Rob styles had a dire game, dire - he didn't just give an absolutely shocking decision, he booked Essien twice and didn't send him off, but claimed the second yellow card was aimed at Terry, even though he had already shown Terry his yellow card 30 seconds earlier. He simply had a poor game of refereeing, including some lack of basic decisions, such as the Chelsea wall moving closer to the ball before the free kick was struck. This awful, awful display of refereeing was also on the back of another poor display when Man Utd played Reading on the opening day, when he sent Kitson off. Di-a-BOLICAL.

Last edited:
Lewi T said:
How am I being an idiot please? He did deserve to get sent off, you can't aim a head-butt at someone and not expect to be punished, regardless of how much or little contact there was. I would like you to show me a game where there is not one offence of a defender holding an attacker before a corner, AND where the referee takes action. Go on, just one. It happens week in week out, it happens in every level of football, from Sunday league to the World Cup final. I'm not saying its right, but it happens and nothing is done about it, so now you just have to get on with it. How can you possibly say that, a player who aims a head-butt at another professional, "his heart was in the right place"? I'd like to see what he'd do if his heart was in the wrong place. "...an intention of bodily contact is practically a sending off." Erm, well yeah, if Cristiano Ronaldo, for example, ran up full speed to Hughes, tensed his right aim with all his might, and attempted a enormous clothesline that would take Hughes' head off, however, Hughes ducked at the last second, should Cristiano Ronaldo be sent off? Well according to you he shouldn't, he intended bodily contact didn't he, but he didn't connect, therefore its perfectly fine. Erm. No.

Everton are not a "very strong team". In all fairness they're a good side who manage to grind out results. Without Arteta they'd be awful.
i don't agree with what he did, and nore does anyone, it was right to send him off, you got to remember that all players do stupid things, and get sent off, players with pressure on there shoulders tend to make mistakes more, he is only young and there is no need to talk about him like he is stephen hunt.

Without arteta they would still be a good team, Arteta is a good player, but they have others who are underated and not often in the limelight. They work well as a team, and that is what is important, day in day out in the premiship the teams that work well together get the solid results, unlike some teams with the bigger names, clubs such as united, chelsea, aresenal and liverpool are the big guns fighting it out for the title, the little guns solid performance is what counts for them, in there 'league' they are very good and at the top of there game.

Gaz said:
i don't agree with what he did, and nore does anyone, it was right to send him off, you got to remember that all players do stupid things, and get sent off, players with pressure on there shoulders tend to make mistakes more, he is only young and there is no need to talk about him like he is stephen hunt.

Without arteta they would still be a good team, Arteta is a good player, but they have others who are underated and not often in the limelight. They work well as a team, and that is what is important, day in day out in the premiship the teams that work well together get the solid results, unlike some teams with the bigger names, clubs such as united, chelsea, aresenal and liverpool are the big guns fighting it out for the title, the little guns solid performance is what counts for them, in there 'league' they are very good and at the top of there game.
What do you mean "talk about him like he is stephen hunt"?
Not all players do stupid things, he has a problem of not liking it when he isn't getting what he wants, which is very unprofessional and I don't care how old he is, it's not like he's playing on the school yard. Yeah I agree players with pressure on their shoulders tend to make mistakes more, but that wasn't a mistake, that was just an act of complete violence, he knew exactly what he was doing and thought he'd get away with it. Cristiano Ronaldo is an arrogant cheat and that's all there is to it.

Without Arteta they'd be a very average team. I fail to see where enough creativity would come from if it wasn't for him. Most teams, particularly this season, are working well as a team, very much including the 'big four' (although Man Utd don't seem to be doing that much this season). So it will be interesting to see the positions of the middle tier of the Premiership come May. Everton have done well in previous seasons because they manage to grind out 1-0 wins, more so than other teams around their position.

Lewi T said:
What do you mean "talk about him like he is stephen hunt"?
Not all players do stupid things, he has a problem of not liking it when he isn't getting what he wants, which is very unprofessional and I don't care how old he is, it's not like he's playing on the school yard. Yeah I agree players with pressure on their shoulders tend to make mistakes more, but that wasn't a mistake, that was just an act of complete violence, he knew exactly what he was doing and thought he'd get away with it. Cristiano Ronaldo is an arrogant cheat and that's all there is to it.

Without Arteta they'd be a very average team. I fail to see where enough creativity would come from if it wasn't for him. Most teams, particularly this season, are working well as a team, very much including the 'big four' (although Man Utd don't seem to be doing that much this season). So it will be interesting to see the positions of the middle tier of the Premiership come May. Everton have done well in previous seasons because they manage to grind out 1-0 wins, more so than other teams around their position.
your f'ing all over the palce, i don't even like him as a play, he is a lazy bastard, all i'm saying at the end of the day, is there is no need for that.

if ronaldo is an arrogant cheat, so is drogba and many other players in the game.

top flight teams look for creativity, but at the end of the day, the 1 - 0 wins count as much as the 4 - 0 thrashings.

man united hasn't exactly not been doing much, with all of there games they dominated there oponante, and they unfortunatly did not get the win they desereved.

________

anyone see the penalty awarded to chelsea, that reff is blind as well as stupid, what looked like booking essien twice without a sending off.

Gaz said:
your f'ing all over the palce, i don't even like him as a play, he is a lazy bastard, all i'm saying at the end of the day, is there is no need for that.

if ronaldo is an arrogant cheat, so is drogba and many other players in the game.

top flight teams look for creativity, but at the end of the day, the 1 - 0 wins count as much as the 4 - 0 thrashings.

man united hasn't exactly not been doing much, with all of there games they dominated there oponante, and they unfortunatly did not get the win they desereved.
There is no need for what?

Yeah I agree that Drogba and other players are also arrogant cheats, but seens as we were talking about Cristiano Ronaldo I only mentioned him.

Of course the 1-0 wins count as much as the 4-0 thrashings, in terms of points like, but what I was saying was that Everton are a decent side who manage to grind out many 1-0 victories, to be regarded as a better side they would need to put on a better display. Sure you could say they get the job done by winning 1-0, but that doesn't necessarily make them a good good (two 'good's intended) side.

Man Utd might have been dominating their opening games, but that fact of the matter is they're not getting the job done, i.e. scoring the goals needed to win. I think this is because with their new signings, and the hype around them after winning it last season, they're more of a team with good individuals, rather than playing well as a team. It is also largely due to the lack of an out-an-out striker. But that's why I discluded them from my statement that the 'big four' are also working well as teams.

When was the last time united actually had a good start to a season. Struck with various injuries. and it's known that if one of there key defenders go down back 4 have flaws (key defenders being neville, rio and vidic.) and without rooney there isn't really any scoring potential out there, even tho rooney is more comfortable in the posistion where he would sit just off a stricker, he still calls alot of goals. and tevez is shown to play in taht posistion as well, so without rooney, and saha and solskjaer not seen playing any goals there isn't any real visiable with goal potentials. But if you look at all 3 games united has had double figure goal chances, and near double figure on target attempts, but down to great goal keeping on all 3 games, has kept them from scoring more.
so insense there is no problem, they have only been up against teams with a strong keeper and defence, the goalies in person were; David James, Marcus Hahnemann, Kasper Schmeichel, as a whole they have only conceded 6 goals this season and hahnemann has clean sheets in all matches.

Gaz said:
When was the last time united actually had a good start to a season. Struck with various injuries. and it's known that if one of there key defenders go down back 4 have flaws (key defenders being neville, rio and vidic.) and without rooney there isn't really any scoring potential out there, even tho rooney is more comfortable in the posistion where he would sit just off a stricker, he still calls alot of goals. and tevez is shown to play in taht posistion as well, so without rooney, and saha and solskjaer not seen playing any goals there isn't any real visiable with goal potentials. But if you look at all 3 games united has had double figure goal chances, and near double figure on target attempts, but down to great goal keeping on all 3 games, has kept them from scoring more.
so insense there is no problem, they have only been up against teams with a strong keeper and defence, the goalies in person were; David James, Marcus Hahnemann, Kasper Schmeichel, as a whole they have only conceded 6 goals this season and hahnemann has clean sheets in all matches.
Well it's their worst start to a season for 15 years, so one has to look at reasons for this. And yeah, the teams they've played have played very well against them, but if everyone does that then it doesn't look to bright for Man Utd. Other teams have better defences and keepers than City, Pompey and Reading, so what will they do then? Obviously this isn't going to keep up for the whole season, but as champions you have to say that against the opposition they've faced so far, 2 points is not good enough. They only had 3 shots on target against City, and I think you mean Schmeichel has kept 3 clean sheets, but that's no excuse for a team that is supposed to be better than last year, and improved on the attacking front. Also, you can't pin any problems on the defence simply because Gary Neville is injured, Vidic and Rio are fine with whatever right back they have, the problems lie at the other end of the field. Its no use creating chance after chance if you're not going to finish them. That was a problem for Liverpool last year. We created so many chances but didn't take enough of them. And Rafa addressed that and brought in the quality needed to score the goals. At the moment, Man Utd are creating the chances but are simply not taking them, and that is where the problem lies.

united had 6 targets on goal today, not 3. at the end of the day, there are 4 main strickers in the team, rooney, tevez, saha and Solskjaer. i don't see why saha and Solskjaer arn't playing at current, but in fergersons eyes there isn't any need to invest any more. i don't know why he played 5 in mid today with only one attacker, it doesn't seam like the team to go out and score goals. but the best team on paper doesn't always win.

Gaz said:
united had 6 targets on goal today, not 3. at the end of the day, there are 4 main strickers in the team, rooney, tevez, saha and Solskjaer. i don't see why saha and Solskjaer arn't playing at current, but in fergersons eyes there isn't any need to invest any more. i don't know why he played 5 in mid today with only one attacker, it doesn't seam like the team to go out and score goals. but the best team on paper doesn't always win.

They're both injured aren't they? (Saha and Solskjaer)
I think United would be fine with Tevez at the moment, but I think Nani needs to stop playing safe and start actually going for goal, at least until Ronaldo's back. I think he's too worried about messing up...

Celestial said:
They're both injured aren't they? (Saha and Solskjaer)
I think United would be fine with Tevez at the moment, but I think Nani needs to stop playing safe and start actually going for goal, at least until Ronaldo's back. I think he's too worried about messing up...
Nope, they are both match fit.
Both Nani and Tevez where attacking the goal yesterday at City, but with the Strong schmicheal in goal and a combination of the fast passed Richards and a Strong Dunne as a leader most of there efforts where cut out and seamed nothing.

Gaz said:
Nope, they are both match fit.
Both Nani and Tevez where attacking the goal yesterday at City, but with the Strong schmicheal in goal and a combination of the fast passed Richards and a Strong Dunne as a leader most of there efforts where cut out and seamed nothing.

Why the hell aren't they playing then?! Saha is amazing, really want him playing...
I don't think Kasper Schmeichel was that good, maybe in a few years, he's still new. There wasn't that many shots he had to save though, their defence was fantastic.

Celestial said:
Why the hell aren't they playing then?! Saha is amazing, really want him playing...
I don't think Kasper Schmeichel was that good, maybe in a few years, he's still new. There wasn't that many shots he had to save though, their defence was fantastic.
look at the saves he did make, not exactly easy ones, 6 shots on target united had, that means 6 minimum match winning saves he made.

i don't know why saha isn't playing, he isn't injured but he might not be gelling well with them current mid, and thus alex won't play him.

Back