Q for an admin regarding Signature sizes

ciper

May 1, 2007
▐▄█▀█▄▌
I would like clarification on the rules about signatures. When in the control panel the rules state:
You may not use more than 8 lines.
You may not use font sizes larger than 2.
You may not use more than 1 images.
· 500w x 130h pixels, 1.91 MB (combined).

I made a test post with 8 lines of size 2 text and measured it to be 130 pixels high. This is exactly the same height as the image. A coincidence or?

The edit box for signatures prevents you from creating more than 8 lines of text. However there are ways to create a signature about 3 pages long which still fits this rule.

So my question is does the signature have a height limit of 130 pixels of image and text combined or can I have 130 pixels of image and another 130 pixels of text?

If the latter that is 260 pixels of screen space. Considering menu bars and such in the standard browser/OS that is aproximately 1/3 of the screen used by repetitive information. It is even worse for laptop users which often have screens with around 800 pixels of vertical in the native resolution of the LCD

Thanks

All it says is to not use images that are more than 130 pixels is height.

You may not use more than 1 images.
· 500w x 130h pixels, 1.91 MB (combined).

so I would assume you can have 8 lines of text and 130 pixels high of font.

vagrant said:
so I would assume you can have 8 lines of text and 130 pixels high of font.
If that is the case is it 8 lines of text entered in the edit box or the equivalent size of 8 lines of text when displayed below a post?

ciper said:
If that is the case is it 8 lines of text entered in the edit box or the equivalent size of 8 lines of text when displayed below a post?

I would assume eight lines period. Meaning 130 pixels as you said.

Either way Sovieto needs his lameass signature shortened. I almost have to scroll to see it all.

Brawny: I was asking because someone else had a sig that was 275 pixels high. On my 1280 x 800 laptop LCD take into consideration the start menu and browser bars and its half the fuking screen!

vagrant: Since the IMG tag takes one line of text does that mean 130 pixels image plus 7 x 16.25 pixels for a total of 243 pixels or 130 + 130 for a total of 260 pixels?

I personally think 260 is way too damn big :/

Here is a screnshot of my computer. As you can see my browser is very streamlined http://i18.tinypic.com/6h7pvmw.jpg I only have 665 pixels of browser window visible so 260 pixels is almost 1/2 the screen!

Last edited:
ciper said:
Brawny: I was asking because someone else had a sig that was 275 pixels high. On my 1280 x 800 laptop LCD take into consideration the start menu and browser bars and its half the fuking screen!

vagrant: Since the IMG tag takes one line of text does that mean 130 pixels image plus 7 x 16.25 pixels for a total of 243 pixels or 130 + 130 for a total of 260 pixels?

I personally think 260 is way too damn big :/

Let's just use this thread to make a list of the people who have insanely long signatures.

1. Sovieto

If you have no tools to measure this sort of thing the easiest way is using MSPaint and printscreen (under windows at least). Make a printscreen and then paste into mspaint. Highlight the signature starting at the black line and copy it. Make a new image and change its attributes (under the image menu) to 1 by 1 pixel. Now paste the section you copied previously and go back to the image attributes screen to see the height.

vagrant said:
Let's just use this thread to make a list of the people who have insanely long signatures.

Sounds good.

Edit: I went to look for the name of a person I forgot and happened to find two moderators with huge signatures. Does that mean everyone can have a big one? I don't want to post their name :( I guess Ill just have to live with scrolling through pages of extra stuff.

Last edited:
I think some people use a Spoiler Alert:

Like This

Then they put all there text into the Spoiler Box so it takes up no space. If you want proof, look at Brawny's signature. I think it's a great idea.

In theory, the spoiler is a great idea.....the only people who actually read them are the two people they have to do with.....

@ciper....yeah..crap like that happens. Just suck it up. This forum has a huge double standard on stuff like that, you just gotta live with it. Or get on their good side and let them add to your sig for you. :ihih:

Yeah I remember Jill added a eheh smiley to my signature one time even after I had a picture in it. Should I bring back my signature?

Guys, seriously, just follow the rules as they are written. No need to make this complicated.
With topics like this, the easiest thing to do would just be making your signature how you want it, then PM one of the mods and ask if it is alright.
Brawny, you know very well that if I break the rules just for you, then everyone else is going to start asking me too..

Back