Super Smash Bros. 4

@KoiKing
... What? No lol. Smogon, Marriland, and whatever other competitive Pokeforums out there have literally no impact or relationship with Game Freak or Ninty. They don't even speak with representatives or nothin'. Whose tournaments?
Ah, clarified, not that it affected me anyway. I don't know, I see loads of tourns everywhere.

It's why I never force rules on casuals ('cept Sleep clause because fuck that noise).
Exactly. That and a max of one legend per team.

How do ya mean? "Little niches between"? Things are banned because ya can't just prepare counters for it.
Things that weren't explicitly said or left to interpretation are often filled with loopholes. It's nice to find something no one notices or mentions. People can prepare for them. Just not all of them (especially at the same time). Things that're overpowered (mega-khan) or cheap tactics (3TuKO Smeargle) of course are no fun to face. Playing unfair and being limited are different things. "But rules are limited so we/they can't play unfair." Not everyone one is going to use mega-geng with perish song, not everyone will use the methods others expect. I feel it makes the game overall less creative.

By your logic, legendaries should never be banned and we can use everythin' however we please. I really hope you're not serious, otherwise I'm gonna make a book-long post on why that's so wrong lol.
'Course I am. Who doesn't like using legends? I don't normally. Just doesn't feel like a fair match when most people do though.

i ****ing hate playing ike in lag because of that its infuriating
He's a powerhouse and (depending on the player) can get some nice ring outs, but that's a bullshit game mechanic with a cheap death. More infuriating than random tripping and I hate tripping so much.
--------------------------------

Been a couple days and obviously I missed a couple things. I've no idea what's happening.

• 1. Shulk = She Hulk, yes?
  • 2. We are definitely getting C.Falcon, Jiggs, Ness. Veterans can't just be left out.
  • 3. Is there a confirmed amount of stages for either platform?
  • 4. Are there alternative costumes with alternative colors? Mix? Glad I could play team with what costume I wanna choose.

1: *facepalm* He's from Xenoblade Chronicles, just look it up.
2: C.Falcon: 100% chance. Ness: 99% chance. Jiggs: 80% chance. (but those are just my own guesses)
3: I don't think so, was it like that in Brawl or why do you ask?
4: That's not been announced yet, so I doubt it. They just use a weird green color for that Skyward Sword costume.

1: *facepalm* He's from Xenoblade Chronicles, just look it up.
2: C.Falcon: 100% chance. Ness: 99% chance. Jiggs: 80% chance. (but those are just my own guesses)
3: I don't think so, was it like that in Brawl or why do you ask?
4: That's not been announced yet, so I doubt it. They just use a weird green color for that Skyward Sword costume.

She-Hulk is nicknamed "Shulk" in the Marvel community. At one point I too thought everyone was talking about her.

Things that weren't explicitly said or left to interpretation are often filled with loopholes. It's nice to find something no one notices or mentions. People can prepare for them. Just not all of them (especially at the same time). Things that're overpowered (mega-khan) or cheap tactics (3TuKO Smeargle) of course are no fun to face. Playing unfair and being limited are different things. "But rules are limited so we/they can't play unfair." Not everyone one is going to use mega-geng with perish song, not everyone will use the methods others expect. I feel it makes the game overall less creative.

Ah, yes. This is assuredly a valid point, and is the reason why Smogon has also put into effect a combination of moves/items/Pokemon as a ban: for example, rather than snuff Politoed or oh-so-broken rain teams all-together, they simply banned the usage of Swift Swim and Politoed's key ability, Drizzle, on the same team. This didn't stifle creativity, it merely made Rain team less overpowered-bullshit.

But as ya said, loopholes can often be found. As such, these combination bans are a lot less practical and reliable than banning a Pokemon all-together. Most singularly banned Pokemon aren't broken because of a single move or item; for example, a very large pool of factors contributed to Garchomp once being (correctly) labeled as bein' too good. Removing Outrage, or Earthquake, or even Sand Veil would've only done so much t' make it balanced... and at what cost? Where do ya draw the line in banning singular moves? It can get unethical quickly.

Just doesn't feel like a fair match when most people use legendaries though.

As ya said to me, not everyone is going to use cheap strategies; what threat is a Kyogre that spams Sheer Cold? How dangerous is an offensive Deoxys-Defense form/Lugia? What about a Tail Glow-less Manaphy that doesn't have Rain support? Legendaries aren't cheap 'til you use and abuse specific traits... some legendaries of which have no cheapness t' speak of, even. Rayquaza Dragon Dances once and one-shots most, if not your entire team. Entei can't come anywhere close t' doing that: both of Rayquaza's attack stats reach 438 maximum, whereas Entei's attack reaches 361 max, its special attack only reaching 306. It's weaker than a Fraxure, and barely any stronger than an Arcanine. Entei also has a pathetic moveset. It gets Sacred Fire to use its type and attack stat with, but where's a good boosting move like Rayquaza's Dragon Dance or Swords Dance? Where're the moves to cover types that resist Fire? Rayquaza has all the tools it needs to abuse its fantastic offensive stats. Entei has nigh-zero tools to abuse its good, but not really even great Attack stat.

Saying all legendaries are way better than most-other Pokemon, and especially sayin' all legendaries are too good, is like sayin' tiers don't exist. One can swear you're amazing with Link/your team of unevolved Pokemon, but are they ACTUALLY good? No. One can say Ike/Mew is way too overpowered and should be banned, but are they really? No. There're too many legendary Pokemon to brand with the vague statement of "they're all too good". We aren't in the first Generation anymore where Mewtwo was literally the most broken Pokemon that ever was and Zapdos was great too. So many non-legendary Pokemon have obtained fantastic stats and movepools alike since those days, and now, legendary is just a rarity thing half the time. Half of 'em are no better than better non-legendaries.

dont make me write dis book man ill do eet next time i post /stalling

I didn't even know She-Hulk existed...

*facepalm*

ohai

My computer ain't fixed still... >_>;

so on one side, we're having a conversation on the inclusion of She-Hulk and another on the competitiveness of pokemon battling.....I like this thread :)

Yeah, I thought it's forbidden to talk about other subjects on this thread, but that certainly has been going on for a while...
The Karp King sure knows how to use his powers >_>

I don't know what to think about the online rankings yet, but for now they seem fine to me :)

Nah I don't think I like em. Unless they had a list of everyone who have a GSP. ( Global Smash Power )

Back