Texting during school. RANT.

I think I sent about 60-70 texts yesterday, and probably 30-40 today. :D While walking, watching tv, driving, etc. :ciappa:

dakuda said:
The percentages are based on who takes the test. They can easily tell you if you are in the 90th %ile, since they know what everyone else scored. The numbers do not cover all of society.

I have never scored lower than the 95th %ile my whole life. All that means is that I scored better than 95% - 99% of the people who took that particular test.

Yeah, standardized tests like the ACT and other annual "achievement" tests that are required by the states are a huge load of crap. This is a completely different topic, and I won't rant about it here. All I'm saying is that ACT and SAT tests and their scores are meaningless and they distract teachers from teaching important content in their area.

Brawny said:
Heyyy, shaddap, I needed my 33 to get into school. :X

And scholarships...

I think it's great that they reward high scorers with scholarships and the like, but the whole concept implies that the "lower" scorers are "stupider." This isn't an accurate representation of students' intelligence or abilities.

blueovalboy7 said:
I think I sent about 60-70 texts yesterday, and probably 30-40 today. :D While walking, watching tv, driving, etc. :ciappa:

You've GOT to stop while driving or I'm going to confiscate your keys. :lol:

We almost had an accident today (people say this quite a bit, but I'm talking 1-10 where 10 is an actually collision, our "event" was a 9.5). *If* I had any distractions - even a fraction of a second, it would have happened.

RiddleN said:
I think it's great that they reward high scorers with scholarships and the like, but the whole concept implies that the "lower" scorers are "stupider." This isn't an accurate representation of students' intelligence or abilities.
While I agree with you, nothing is going to change unless you can come up with a way to test the subjects you are speaking of.

Good luck with that...

LevesqueIsKing said:
While I agree with you, nothing is going to change unless you can come up with a way to test the subjects you are speaking of.

Good luck with that...

It's not the tests themselves that are the problem, rather how the results are being used. Instead of allocating money to certain districts for having high scores, the scores should only be used by teachers to tweak their curriculum and try to improve the classroom. There is currently a reward/punishment system set up, and that's not how it should be. The tests should only be used to tweak the curriculum and find out what kids are and aren't learning.

dakuda said:
While I will say that standardized tests are crap, how much real experience do you have in the education field? I don't mean as a student. Do you know exactly what teachers do with the results? Do you have any idea how the process of school funding works? And how it varies from state to state in the US?
Hey, I'm not trying to start an argument here. This is my first year as a teacher, so no, I don't know everything. However, I do know that most states give public schools more money if they have better scores. That's a fact. And from talking to my fellow teachers, nothing is ever done with the test scores except for learning how to tweak the "teaching to the test" for the following year. No one uses the scores to try to figure out WHY the students aren't learning the content. It's never taken into consideration that it might be the way the curriculum is set up instead of the student just "not learning" or "being dumb."

EDIT>> I didn't want to discuss this in this thread anyway because it is off topic. We should probably start a new thread for this.

Last edited:
Ashwii00 said:
Yeah, but at the same time...it's kind of weird...because now at college you can just openly text in class and not get in trouble for it.
That's because college professors really don't care. They don't care if they see you texting, it means you're going to fail his/her class. I'm sure some of them relish in it.

On topic, I agree. Luckily, I don't have friends that text 24/7 (really, not at all), but I've seen girls (i.e. my sister) who keep their phone wide open all the time, and just wait for that incessant beep to signify that they just got one...highly annoying.

ssbb_lover said:
That's because college professors really don't care. They don't care if they see you texting, it means you're going to fail his/her class. I'm sure some of them relish in it.

On topic, I agree. Luckily, I don't have friends that text 24/7 (really, not at all), but I've seen girls (i.e. my sister) who keep their phone wide open all the time, and just wait for that incessant beep to signify that they just got one...highly annoying.
During my Sophomore year in college, my Argumentation and Debate professor would take anyone's phone that rang/buzzed and he would answer it or reply to the text....and then he would yell at the person for leaving their phone on during class.

Back